Storm of Magic, incoming

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Storm of Magic, incoming

Post by Strongbow »

Uni,

Certainly I agree that they shouldn't monkey with the new wood elf AB simply to make it more newbie-friendly. I lost an @$$ load of games when I first started playing, and my only functional army to date is wood elves. So, if I can muddle through and start to win games consistantly, so can any other newb! People who don't get bit by the gaming bug will go do something else anyway.

I do think there are a few things that need to be addressed. For example, I have a particularly hard time against my friend's skaven army. The combination of sheer volume and mass of units and troops, combined with the might of his two hpa's, means that I am overwhelmed every time.

So, at the very least, we need a points reduction. Also, however, we do need a facelift on the following units: glade riders, wild riders, warhawk riders, way watchers, and possibly wardancers. I don't find eagles to be that effective, given ranged attacks, but at 50 pts., they're just fine.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

unicorn wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote:
Baardah wrote:It amazes me that GW thinks this is the time to release an expansion when there is some armies, like us WE, that still have 6th edition army books. New model by this Trish sounds good though, but still.....stupid to waste time with this expansion BS when they have more pressing things to doo. :thumbsdown:
From a Wood Elf perspective, I agree. We've been sitting waiting patiently for a new army book for quite some time!
From (my own) Wood Elf player perspective, I disagree. I love my current AB. I am doing very well with WE as they are now in 8th. They are fun. They are strong. They are not forgiving, but they allows you to get the control over the game no other army have. I love it.
And I am damn scared about new AB, who may (or may not, but who can guarantee this?) destroy this unique thing WE army have in order to make it "up-to-date" and "more open to new players" and "more copetitive", or because any another "blah blah blah" reason...
Good points that Unicorn, i'm still not playing wood elves even though i've had a bunch of models sitting in a box since 8th came out (just no time to build and paint them), i have seen that people are having some success with them, at my clubs winter torniment, the Bristol Brawl, we had two Wood Elf players who both done well, i was really hopeing to play them but i unfortunately sat on the bottom table for the entire weekend with my mates Nurgle Deamons :cry: Although i would love to see a new book come out for my own selfish reasons i know there are players who still love the current one. Just hope that with the new books and this Storm of chaos they don't become completely unplayable to inexperianced players like myself, saying that i'm still building a Wood Elf army as i love the fluff and the minis and even if i loose every game its no worse than my current record lol

:D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

unicorn wrote:From a Wood Elf perspective, I agree. We've been sitting waiting patiently for a new army book for quite some time!
From (my own) Wood Elf player perspective, I disagree. I love my current AB. I am doing very well with WE as they are now in 8th. They are fun. They are strong. They are not forgiving, but they allows you to get the control over the game no other army have. I love it.
And I am damn scared about new AB, who may (or may not, but who can guarantee this?) destroy this unique thing WE army have in order to make it "up-to-date" and "more open to new players" and "more copetitive", or because any another "blah blah blah" reason...[/quote]

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the current Wood Elf book in the 8th Edition environment. I am merely commenting on the fact that we have been using the current book for quite a while now, and it is one of the oldest books still in play. What the new book contains is another issue; the point is that the current book is old and we're due for a new one.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Strongbow wrote:So, at the very least, we need a points reduction. Also, however, we do need a facelift on the following units: glade riders, wild riders, warhawk riders, way watchers, and possibly wardancers. I don't find eagles to be that effective, given ranged attacks, but at 50 pts., they're just fine.
I agree with everything except eagles. I find them to be the best unit in our (and HE) AB and the most versatile and most useful tool we have at our disposal. Most of my wins are credited to my eagles and their deeds, to be honest.

@Beith: I understand your point (yeah, we have old AB), but on other hand, I still love this one old book too much and I am way to scared of any possible changes to playstyle I love to admit that even I am looking forward to see new fluff and - mainly - new opportunities to convert new models for my beloved army ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Nuada
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Dwarfs, Goblins and Orcs

Post by Nuada »

Strongbow wrote: So, at the very least, we need a points reduction. Also, however, we do need a facelift on the following units: glade riders, wild riders, warhawk riders, way watchers, and possibly wardancers. I don't find eagles to be that effective, given ranged attacks, but at 50 pts., they're just fine.
By "Facelift" you mean a change to their stats/rules right? For a moment I thought you wanted them to change the models and I was like NOOOOO!!! Well, except Wild Riders... I think they are fugly, and I would like to see Plastic Warhawk Riders too... ever since I had a horrible experience of trying to put together the previous addition's Warhawk Rider's model I have been completely against Warhawk Riders all together. I still haven't been able to stick that plastic stick up that stupid hawk's butt >_> and I got him easily 6+ years ago.
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

I'm still enjoying the current book. I've given the old and new OnG and WoC books a run for their money.

What really pains me is the points cost of things like the treeman (250 points max with current rules) and treekin (55-60 points).

This is mainly to do with the fact that local scene loves hard caps-and one of them is max unit cost of 350...usually combined with no double specials (otherwise 2x4 treekin is obvious choice).

Still though-slightly cheaper plastic monsters, updated lore, and revised elf unit rules, point costs (I'm looking @ you wardancers, waywatchers, and eternal guard) = sorted.

However as 8th books seem to be going I too am scared we will lose our flavour (have we already lost it?) and it be replaced by uber treeman monster army with plastic kit that makes a core, special, and rare Treeman monster/dragon hybrid with 4 different poses including a treehut for 3 Eternal guard riders...
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Nuada
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Dwarfs, Goblins and Orcs

Post by Nuada »

Joelatron wrote: However as 8th books seem to be going I too am scared we will lose our flavour (have we already lost it?) and it be replaced by uber treeman monster army with plastic kit that makes a core, special, and rare Treeman monster/dragon hybrid with 4 different poses including a treehut for 3 Eternal guard riders...
I really doubt they will go that far. I mean, we are called "Wood Elves", not "Forest Spirits" for a reason. I think a new Forest Spirit would be the obvious choice for a uber monster assuming (and we probably will) get one. Maybe an Earth Elemental or something? And as for the other mega monsters the ones they have come out with all make sense: Skaven already had Rat Ogres, it makes sense that they would experiment with biology to create their... beast thing. Goblins like spiders, why not a giant spider? And giant spiders are a common theme in any fantasy genre. And Tomb Kings really needed some sort of Sphinx unit, and of course that unit would have to be large. And then they wanted to make them more different from Vampire Counts so they came out with giant statue snake cavalry stuff... And cobras/snakes go with Egypt/Khemri.

But I thought this thread was about speculating what Storm of Magic was going to be about.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Nuada wrote:
Joelatron wrote:I think a new Forest Spirit would be the obvious choice for a uber monster assuming (and we probably will) get one. Maybe an Earth Elemental or something?
In fact, we already HAVE one. Treeman is uber monster in all respects...

Anyway, few infos about SoM:
* monsters are designed in such way players can use them in multiple armies
* there SHOULD be a lot of wizard models for most (if not all) armies
* GW will use resin for some models, no details are known
* there is a chance the cockatrice will make the comeback
* no plastic cygor/ghorgon
* there will not be manticore model, but there will be chimer model
* DE players will be most pleased with new models
* the campaign will come with new monsters, rules and terrains
* fluff-wise, it is all about new cataclysm ongoing in the Old Word
* GW confirm that each and every new army will obtain new large-sized monster like sphynx/spider from TK/OaG are. BUT. SoM is here to allow all the armies to use this new monsters without waiting for their AB release.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

unicorn wrote:Anyway, few infos about SoM:
* monsters are designed in such way players can use them in multiple armies
If so, I'm excited. This option will add more variability to all armies and will help to enrich not only game play but also the fluff of the WH world.
unicorn wrote:* there SHOULD be a lot of wizard models for most (if not all) armies
Agreed! In fact, my main wizard is a mod of the one with the staff (I stuck a warhawk rider's spear arm on there, and it looks pretty cool. Another wizard model wouldn't hurt.
unicorn wrote:* the campaign will come with new monsters, rules and terrains
* fluff-wise, it is all about new cataclysm ongoing in the Old Word
* GW confirm that each and every new army will obtain new large-sized monster like sphynx/spider from TK/OaG are. BUT. SoM is here to allow all the armies to use this new monsters without waiting for their AB release.
That's pretty good, if you ask me. Besides, like I said above, it will give us more diversity and flexibility in our armies. As it is, only dark elves have captured hydras for use in war, and only orcs have domesticated (beaten into submission) wyverns for use?

There should be a list of monsters that could be used by all. That's exciting to me!
jamshaman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by jamshaman »

unicorn wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote:
Baardah wrote:It amazes me that GW thinks this is the time to release an expansion when there is some armies, like us WE, that still have 6th edition army books. New model by this Trish sounds good though, but still.....stupid to waste time with this expansion BS when they have more pressing things to doo. :thumbsdown:
From a Wood Elf perspective, I agree. We've been sitting waiting patiently for a new army book for quite some time!
And I am damn scared about new AB, who may (or may not, but who can guarantee this?) destroy this unique thing WE army have in order to make it "up-to-date" and "more open to new players" and "more copetitive", or because any another "blah blah blah" reason...
I'd really like to see the lists you've been using. Have you been "doing very well" in competitive/tournament environments?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

jamshaman wrote:I'd really like to see the lists you've been using. Have you been "doing very well" in competitive/tournament environments?
In competitive? Yes. In tournaments? Well, I was playing only 1 8th ed tournament so far; and it will not be better. I am usually an umpire on the tournaments. Tough I am playing with regular tournament players as sparring/practicing partner.

And my rosters? Well, my "core" is lvl4; BSB; 14+12+12GGs (14 with fire banner); 14+12+12 dryads, 6 treekins, treeman, 2x eagle. Rest depends upon actual mood. This is my usual roster, but I am experimenting even with other ones. All depends upon actual mood.
Painted
Finished
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

* there SHOULD be a lot of wizard models for most (if not all) armies
Hopefully, Ive been dieing to see some new models come out for wood elfs!!! :D Not that i dont love the old ones, i just cant stand converting and painting metal models <.< . I also keep wonder if they'll bring out a new Great eagle plastic model with SoM for HE and WE players just a thought though..
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

jamshaman wrote: I'd really like to see the lists you've been using. Have you been "doing very well" in competitive/tournament environments?
Couple units of 20 GG, couple units of 6 treekin, couple units of dryads, great eagle, lvl 4 w/ Wych Elm, BSB

Got 10th in a tournament of 35 a few months ago? Would've placed much higher if I remembered FS are Immune to Psych while fighting an a-bomb.

Generally if you know what to do you can play well with the army but no, they don't have the newest greatest toys. Comes down to using what you have available in the best tactial manner.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

It would be sort of cool to see them put out a spell caster on a model that can be converted either as an elven steed or a unicorn.

As it is, it's mandatory for the forest spirit caster, but there's no viable model for it.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Strongbow wrote:It would be sort of cool to see them put out a spell caster on a model that can be converted either as an elven steed or a unicorn.

As it is, it's mandatory for the forest spirit caster, but there's no viable model for it.
Since when is it mandatory for a Glamourweave caster? I don't think I've used one of those in ages and I win more games than I lose.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Cynath Auren
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cynath Auren »

Shandrakor wrote:
Strongbow wrote:It would be sort of cool to see them put out a spell caster on a model that can be converted either as an elven steed or a unicorn.

Since when is it mandatory for a Glamourweave caster? I don't think I've used one of those in ages and I win more games than I lose.

Glamourweave casters must be mounted on an elven steed or Unicorn in the army book.
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

Cynath Auren wrote:
Shandrakor wrote:

Glamourweave casters must be mounted on an elven steed or Unicorn in the army book.
Sorry. Cynath Auren has my meaning. I've never used one either, but I might if I had the right model for it. It might be nice to have a spell caster mounted on an elven steed, at any rate.
odinfellhammer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by odinfellhammer »

I was wondering if we are getting some uber wizards. Why don't we get Ariel? Or a Large Treeman with Elven archers in the Branches as a mobile fire platform.
sirkently
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Necrons

Post by sirkently »

There used to be. I have a wizard model that came mounted on an elven steed. I have a unicorn model from the bretonian army, that I have mounted a wizard on. There also used to be a wizard mounted on a warhawk. I put that wizard on an eagle, so I have the full array of mounts for wizards.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

New WE resin models which will be shortly released. Dunno if they are old models in resin, or brand new sculpts tough.
Wood Elves
ELF HIGHBORN WITH GREAT WEAPON £9.50/$15USD/$25AUD
WOOD ELVES TREE KIN £30.00/$49.50USD/$83AUD
ORION KING IN THE WOODS £22.50/$37.25USD/$62AUD
WOOD ELVES TREEMAN £36.00/$50USD/$96AUD
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

From what I've heard, these are the same models simply recast in resin (rather than metal)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:From what I've heard, these are the same models simply recast in resin (rather than metal)
Oh shame :(
Painted
Finished
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

I certainly hope that isn't PER Treekin cost. For that price it better bet three Treekin per box, at least.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Caitsidhe wrote:I certainly hope that isn't PER Treekin cost. For that price it better bet three Treekin per box, at least.
yes it's a box of three. gives a good hint what will be a plastic box of three when teh army gets it's 8th ed treatment. plus,.. it just makes sense to package them up.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

popisdead wrote:
Caitsidhe wrote:I certainly hope that isn't PER Treekin cost. For that price it better bet three Treekin per box, at least.
yes it's a box of three. gives a good hint what will be a plastic box of three when teh army gets it's 8th ed treatment. plus,.. it just makes sense to package them up.
Any pictures of them yet? I'm guessing they are simply a Resin version of the same model. All in all that will be a slight price reduction then. 3x$22.00=66 versus about 50.00. Eh. If Games Workshop wants to keep its customer base it is going to need to get a reliable codex release schedule and have ALL factions released in the same year like Privateer does, i.e. new basic rulebook comes out, followed by 1 rulebook per month for that system until all are out.
Last edited by Caitsidhe on 17 May 2011, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.