Storm of Magic, incoming

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cynath Auren
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Storm of Magic, incoming

Post by Cynath Auren »

Why is it that GW can't, imo, sculpt a decent looking dragon to save itself? I mean, they're a popular enough fantasy creature, and there's loads of artwork and models from other companies that look lovely. I mean, event GW doesn't draw dragons like the models half the time: if they made one like the cover of Caledor, I would probably want to buy that! Or the teaser in the back of this months WD: All the pictures look like creatures I'd like models of, fantastical animals that I can never the less imagine being real, flesh and blood creatures. However, all the models look like cartoons, with only the griffon, dark pegasus and hydra having more than a passing resemblance to their 2D versions.
I don't really like the grotesque look that citadel takes with most of their monsters - I know that they're twisted by Chaos and all, but they're just so ugly dammit! They do make some nice stuff, I like the plastic griffon, sphinxes and minotaurs for instance, but mostly... Might get the Chimera, could look ok, at a stretch the Cockatrice to convert a bit but the Black Dragon just doesn't do it for me. And if those things on the right are supposed to be Manticores..! Shame for them, cos I was worried that I might go all monster mad and get the lot.

Epic leak btw.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Funny thing...what I had the lest hopes for, the cockatrice, is actually the only one I'd wanna own. It actually looks really really cool, could easily be converted to a very nice great eagle. Is this the only things that come out with the expansion? Anyone know?
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

TreePunk wrote:The models look horrible :cry:
In fact, I think this is the some cause as with Minotaurs. The models itself look pretty nice to me, and the paint job is surely profesional. But the pain did not match the model at all and insteand of making it stand out, it makes it looks stupid :(
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
odinfellhammer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by odinfellhammer »

I thought they were supposed to have a release for all armies. Looks like we'll get an army book before the wood elves get any new models. :(
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

DSC_6734.jpg
The good new is that they only screwed up the monsters :p
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

I do like that sorceress.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

Yep, I've got my eye on that sorceress for a spellweaver, still think we will see more character models though, so fingers crossed for that mounted weaver.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Not keen on the Chaos sorcerers (they look almost vampiric...) but the Sorceress and Necromancer are pretty decent.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Siegfried
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Bretonnia.

Post by Siegfried »

Beithir Seun wrote:Not keen on the Chaos sorcerers (they look almost vampiric...)
Or rather Daemonic in my eyes... still nice models. It is good that there at least will be a few new kits, because from what I've heard the rules of this supplement leave me indifferent...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Imperial Guard, Dark Elves

Post by TwistedHonour »

That...sorceress...looks...awesome

and I don't mind the dragon, hopefully the "other components" come with a different head :roll:

I would actually prefer it over the High Elf dragon if the other head (if it has one) is a bit more serious...

P.S. thats pushed me over the edge, I'm collecting Dark elves :p
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

TwistedHonour wrote:That...sorceress...looks...awesome

and I don't mind the dragon, hopefully the "other components" come with a different head :roll:

I would actually prefer it over the High Elf dragon if the other head (if it has one) is a bit more serious...

P.S. thats pushed me over the edge, I'm collecting Dark elves :p
It does say it has a different head.

You can see half of it on the dragon close up page, the sorceress is on it.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
TwistedHonour
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Imperial Guard, Dark Elves

Post by TwistedHonour »

Looks serious enough for me XD
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

manticore_gw.jpg
Completely Agree :p
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Wow, can't say I'm impressed with that.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
brightblade
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE, O+G, Eldar, BA

Post by brightblade »

Not too convinced by that image. It looks like a dodgy photoshop job to me.

I hope it is a dodgy photoshop image.

What is it with gw and making the evil armies so hard? Why do they get all the cool stuff first? The devil loves rock n' roll, I guess. :crazy:
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

It looks like a dodgy photoshop job to me.
Thats because it is who ever did it was just trying to cut the model off that was on top before :p Take a look at the original photo, the only problem with the one on top is that the guy didnt cut the skulls out
DSC_6731.jpg
brightblade
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by brightblade »

Dude, I totally get that! Lol. It is where the head and arms join the body that looks poorly layered that suggests a poor chop job. Looking at the original picture it looks nowhere near as bad. Those arms and hands are almost drawn in crayon they look so false! :p

The only yhting that gets on my wick is why do chaos get so many cool things? Since lost and damned came out it is almost like everybody else is there just to get beat by them. Chaos. The Manchester Utd of the warhammer world. :roll:

Anyway. I am totally reserving opinion on SoM. Could it be a David Cameron style u-turn by gw? Accepting that magic just doesn't quite work in the latest edition.....Or is it time for big monsters and fun, fun, fun.... let's hope so! :D
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to fielding a big monster. Hopefully, we'll be able to do so as part of our armies, and not simply as summoned (and dispellable) monsters.

Given that the monsters pretty much look geared toward fitting in with evil armies, I'm of a mind to likely look outside GW for models to fit into my force. It's not like I'm running in GW tournaments, so it's likely to be cool for friendly games.

The cocatrice does sort of look like something that the Asrai might bring along out of the forest, though...maybe.

Although army books should be the priority right now, an expansion with enjoyable and useable new rules could make the game fun. I'll probably wait a while before getting the book, though. And, I'm likely to look outside of the models they are providing for the terrain-esque features, as none of them are very wood elf-ish. However, I do have some unfinished cidatel woods lying around with which I might be able to do something. We'll just have to see.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

I will only look forward to this expansion if, unlike Apocalypse, we can use the magic and monsters in our regular games.
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

brightblade wrote:Chaos. The Manchester Utd of the warhammer world. :roll:
One word. Barcelona. :nod:

lol, talking about football on a warhammer forum just feels wrong.

Personally, I'm not bothered about playing SoM, just hoping for some nice new models out of it (mounted weaver or plastic eagle would be nice). After seeing those monsters though, I'm still waiting.
brightblade
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by brightblade »

cyberspite wrote:
brightblade wrote:Chaos. The Manchester Utd of the warhammer world. :roll:
One word. Barcelona. :nod:

lol, talking about football on a warhammer forum just feels wrong.

Personally, I'm not bothered about playing SoM, just hoping for some nice new models out of it (mounted weaver or plastic eagle would be nice). After seeing those monsters though, I'm still waiting.
You are quite correct, it felt dirty mentioning football. I quite like Barcelona though, despite being a bit cheaty they play great footy.

Not sure I am too bothered either. I love new models but it always seems to be the same armies that get them. That is evil armies. Maybe gw designers are having trouble portraying magical goodness in a monster? Seems odd that this would be the case but it has always been so. Maybe more stuff is just around the corner but gw policy of keeping it all secret is starting peeve people around here. :roll:
Tanthalas
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Marines, Eldar, Tau.

Post by Tanthalas »

That dragon has certianly caught my eye - 5 different heads, optional armour (apparently), and it seems to be standing on a tree, of sorts. Giving the trouble I've had building the forest dragon for Neastra and Arahan, I can see I'll be buying this new dragon as a mount for them. Mind you, the cockatrice looks good as well.
If you go down to the woods tonight...
W/L/D - 9/2/2
herenvardo
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE only for now
Location: Sant Cugat del Vallès, Vallès Occidental, Catalunya

Post by herenvardo »

Tanthalas wrote:the cockatrice looks good as well.
Yep, it looks well... if you like chicken and are hungry, of course.
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

herenvardo wrote:
Tanthalas wrote:the cockatrice looks good as well.
Yep, it looks well... if you like chicken and are hungry, of course.
Here in the South of the United States, we might say: "Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!"

I sorta like the model.

@ Caitsedhe: I've got similar hopes. Otherwise, I'm likely to skip it, except for maybe...maybe...a model or terrain. However, as I only have an Asrai army on the board, that might be a doubtful proposition. I might buy a mini for the Transformation of Kadon, but I'll only likely buy one. I'm not buying one model for each option in the spell, especially as it can be dispelled.
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

Caitsidhe wrote:I will only look forward to this expansion if, unlike Apocalypse, we can use the magic and monsters in our regular games.

I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm looking forward to the models more than the expansion.

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!