Storm of Magic, incoming

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Storm of Magic, incoming

Post by cyberspite »

Where did you here this about resin stuff? Not that I'm doubting, I just haven't seen anything about it myself is all.

EDIT: Never mind, I get it now.

Merged double post ~ Beithir
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I'm frustrated (being an eager fanboy) that is has been 5 weeks now and no further Storm of Magic e-mail :(

Was hoping for one last or this Monday.

Want, new, news!!!!!!!!!!
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

From the finecast presentation on GW website today it seems that there's is new sculpts for the resin models. Might see something new then for the treespirits.

I wonder what this does for my dwarfs
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

New sculpts are the only way they can justify the price increase, in my eyes at least. If they are new sculpts, I might consider buying a few. If they're just old models recast in resin then they're just not worth it.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Strongbow »

Caitsidhe wrote:If Games Workshop wants to keep its customer base it is going to need to get a reliable codex release schedule and have ALL factions released in the same year like Privateer does, i.e. new basic rulebook comes out, followed by 1 rulebook per month for that system until all are out.
Here, here!

I'm hoping we get goodies with that resin treeman, as I paid $45 US for the metal one! Of course, it might look better...
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

I got some info over at Warhammer-Empire from a fellow who prowls the net and have some means of connections. He is also a huge fanboy and have defended GW practices until... now. Well, he have started to worry about the price increases, not because he do not think he can afford it but because he fear fewer of his friends will be able to.

But he said he is pretty sure many of the new resin sculpts are simply reusing the old metal molds and they are NOT any resculpts! :eek:
And when Shadowlord makes such statements and am baffled with GW:s behaviour, things are bad. Because yes, there is also a price rise! And when you change to a cheaper material and simply reuse the old molds, AND raise the price, it is really ugly. Plus, like me, he hates resin or that silly combo material Restnik or whatever GW have come up with. Sicko...

Now mind you, it makes perfect business sense. And the only reason to do such a move is to gain a huge profit simply buy staking on the customers not bothering about the difference or getting lured by the new name Finecast. It is a simple and common ploy used by companies who believe it is up to the customer to see if the product is really worth it and not their responsibility.
It is not what a company does who operates along the line of cultivating the customer base or a company that believe in the idea that a happy customer will generate more benefit by spreading the word and buying more because they are satisfied.

It is based on the idea that most customers do not buy lots of stuff, and many rotates through rather quickly, meaning they will not notice the difference. And those that get stuck will basically be so addicted they will not care anyway. In a way, I think GW wants to try and set themselves up as the premier Brand of miniature wargaming partially by being costly and therefore more attractive than cheaper competitors.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

Errr I thought it was common knowledge that finecast was just a reusing of the old molds, hence why the price rise was so scorned. I personally am going to wait to see the final product, but this isn't something bothering me personally at least.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

Finally some news :D
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

Looks promising, going by the pic there is a high elf eagle rider, may not mean anything but a new eagle kit would be v.nice ;) especially in plastic or resin. Here's hoping for a mounted spellweaver also.
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

Looks promising, going by the pic there is a high elf eagle rider, may not mean anything but a new eagle kit would be v.nice ;) especially in plastic or resin. Here's hoping for a mounted spellweaver also.
That could explain why they never remade the War Hawks and Eagles in Citadel Finecast :paranoid:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

cyberspite wrote:Looks promising, going by the pic there is a high elf eagle rider
Yea. Eagle, dragon, manticora and griffon. That is what can be identified
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

My guess is some kind of Chimera too... cause you know, a certain spell needs a certain model...
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

Is that a hydra at the bottom, just left of the ax-wielding elf?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Here we go:
Storm of Magic will be a full-colour hardcover book, about half the thikness of the Core Rulebook, and at the price of, well, apoximatly one Leman Russ Battletank.
It's due for release the second saturday of July. Previews start the saturday befor.

There will be a multitude of kits and gimmicks to acompany them.

Plastic Boxed Sets are:

Chaos Lord on Manticore
Dark Elven Lord on Black Dragon

Both Kits are the same price as a similar High Elven Ridden Monster.

The saddle, Rider and (in case of the Dragon) the armour are completly optional.

There is also a Kit labeled
Chimaera
and one labeled
Cockatrice
which are the same price as a 10 man Space Marines Squad.

There are also some Clampack releases:
Chaos Supreme Sorcerer
Supreme Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Vampirecounts Necromancer
Dark Elven High Sorceress

I don't know what these are made of. Since they are clampacked I guessed Finecast, but the price of, ah, well, lets say it in GBP: It's a one-digit-point-something Price lable.
Quiet affordable if it was finecast, but since hasitings said plastic sorceres... well... do the math.

Of course there is a whole bunch of playthings and gimmics aswell, like Vortex Templates (Like the Dark Eldar Wayportal template, only bigger), Dice, Battle Magic Cards (which apearently come in a cool box of sime Lost Arc style... with skulls of course...) and Focus Points (4 different ones).

Which brings us to rules.

Storm of Magic is for any Warhammer Fantasy Battle Army. It supports you with a alternative of Deployment, Magic and Army composition rules.

Game mechanics
While you place terrain, you deploy Magil Focus points. Think of these as landmarks inhibited with strong magics, like towers, magical stairs, Columns of Fire, or what ever. Each army starts with a designated number of Focus points, it depends of the scale of the game. 1 per army per 1000 points is, what I was told, suggested in the book.
You may place 1 Wizard including a mount on top of the Focus point, and one guarding unit within a limited space - enough to place about 30 standard base-sized miniatures, I was told. The rest of your army is deployed as usual.

The game is all about dominating these points, which grant great boni to your wizard while he stands atop of them. The Magic Phase is strongly buffed with 4D6 Power dice. In addition, you determine the ascending wind of magic at the beginning of each magic phase. (It's done randomly by some sort of tool, don't ask me what it is, I don't know, but apperantly it's not a dice.) Army book Lores are associated with Army book rules, for example if the Lore of Light is the Ascendand Lore this turn, High Magic is Ascended aswell (I don't know if High Lore is really associated with Lore of Light - it's simply a example of my understanding of the mechanics).

The Ascended magic gains a +4 bonus on attempts to cast their spells. You cannot change the Ascendend in any way, though it's determined new in every magic phase.

There is also a bunch of new spells which appearently give you the possibility not only to summon Monsters loke the Cockatrice, but also whole units from other armies. I personally didn't by this one. It was a long evening with a LOT of beer.

Take all of this with salt. And enjoy.
Painted
Finished
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

YAY!!!!! Just finished reading the rest of the tread on Warseer thanks for the info!!! :D

Here's the Tread
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... 82&page=18
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

Interesting... all 'evil' models though, seems a bit strange unless there are more on the way.

Thanks for sharing btw ;)
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

IMO this sounds like a lot of Crap. I didnt see anything in these rumors that I'm happy about. All "evil" kits.
I guess they are only rumors and there might be more, but so far I'm very dissapointed. Stupid that GW is pushing this Sh**t out instead of new AB's....

And whats with the love for a cockatrice everywhere? Isnt that a stupid chickenlooking monster?

Nah....I'm not enthusiastic to say the least......

Thanks for sharing some news though Uni :nod:
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

I can't say I care much about it either. I don't care much about Apocalyspe for 40K. It is a weird distraction that rarely gets played. None of it is legal at tournaments so it is more self contained junk. I expect Storm of Magic is going to be the same... a bunch of models and magic that you can't use in regular games and thus a drain on your resources for a rainy day game.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Go go chimera in my WE :D

I am pretty excited to play Storm of Magic. Just a new way to have wacky fun games! I loved playing Apocalypse, it was the way 40k was meant to play. Lots of stuff, things die, hilarity ensues.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Legomon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Legomon »

Great... Protecting your mage with a unit... Of... Um?

I have never been looking forward to this new release and now I am even less interested. New AB please?
It's playoff time... GO SHARKS!
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

I like some of the new kit ideas. But the expansion is fairly meh to me.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

Is the expansion the goal, or merely the silver platter for the models?
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

DSC_6731.jpg
DSC_6732.jpg
DSC_6729.jpg
DSC_6728.jpg
The models look horrible :cry:
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Overmind »

Well let's see, magical vortex token things and dice look fine. might get that token vortex.

Terrain-esque things(fulcrums) look pretty nifty.

I do like the black dragon myself, but I might repose it. The cockatrice actually looks pretty cool from my standpoint. Half convinced my dislike of the manticore one is paint job based. Especially as the sorcerer one looks decent.

The on foot chaos dudes are meh, but that on foot Sorceress looks pretty cool to me.

On the other hand that three headed green thing is really not working for me.

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!