Tomb Kings in May!

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: Tomb Kings in May!

Post by Baardah »

I spoke to a GW store employee the other day. He said that he sicerely believed that Wood elves would be the next book. I asked him if that was something he had gotten to know due to him working in GW. he answered "no, but I THINK so" with a sly grin on his face (wich I interpreted into him knowing something....). I dont read to much into this but i did get my hopes up a little bit. He also said that the general consensus in GW is that Ogres and Bretts are in no hurry to get a new book as they fare pretty well in 8th environment. I dont know these armies well enough to say if GW (if this guy is right) is way off with this, but I dont think Ogres or bretts struggle more than wood elves in 8th atleast.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

One of the things that Sphynx asks is Amber Spear, the other is Treeman Ancient with Savage Beast of Horrors. Anyway, Beastweaver is what comes into mind first.

I'll be very happy if our Spellsingers get access to Life/Beasts in the next book.
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

I would rather have a decent lore of Ather Loren instead, Aemir.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

The article on the warsphinks on GW website kinda pisses me off.
They keep saying. If you don't have a monster to counter it, you probably have big guns.... Seems they have forgotten that we have nothing to take this guy on, without some heavy magic enhancements....we really really need a book soon
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
lupus1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by lupus1 »

The cool thing is the different way you can assemble the new TK units, just wonder how they'll incorporate that into WE units? Glade guard/Eternal Guard same kit?
Can't wait.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Kulgan86 wrote:I would rather have a decent lore of Ather Loren instead, Aemir.
I kinda like the Lore of Athel Loren (Lore of Life better, and the argument of Life being that much better makes Loren worse is kinda true I guess).
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

lupus1 wrote:The cool thing is the different way you can assemble the new TK units, just wonder how they'll incorporate that into WE units? Glade guard/Eternal Guard same kit?
Can't wait.
Yep ! I agree, alot of crying on another forum about only getting 3 new plastic kits :cry: but with the kits your getting 2 for the price of one, so thats like 5 new kits really, Sweet !!

Can't wait for woodies !

:D
Baardah wrote: The article on the warsphinks on GW website kinda pisses me off.
They keep saying. If you don't have a monster to counter it, you probably have big guns.... Seems they have forgotten that we have nothing to take this guy on, without some heavy magic enhancements....we really really need a book soon
The Khemrian Warsphinx is a massive monster made of stone, jade, marble or any other rock-hard substance. When animated, it is a terrifying thing to face, its Toughness means all but the strongest attacks will struggle to wound the creature and its special Thundercrush attack can lay waste to even horde units in a single round of combat.

Yikes !! :smoke:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

Shooting with bows seems like the way to go; you need 6's to wound anyway so T5 or T8 it's all the same. That and diverting it with an Eagle should work fine.
Breeze
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Breeze »

Well at short range our GG wound T5 on 5+ so any toughness over 6 doesn't make a difference to shooting
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

maybe a hail of doom arrow to the face ! :sexy:

....then we only have to worrie about the other shrinx monster, a bunch of killing blow poison attack snake things which burrow up from under the floor, bone giant, giant scorpian, fear causing skeles/tomb guard and an army of fast moving heavy chariots which slice though toughness 3 like a choppa' through a hot snotling :cry:
Legomon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Legomon »

It feels to me 8th edition and all the following army books are getting out of hand. You need bigger units (hordes), warmachines and spells with the biggest templates... And to counter this, they bring out even bigger monsters to handle with those... Crush hordes and such.

When is this gonna end? At 'empty wallets'? I always liked WFB more because they did not have the big armoured tanks and helicopters... But we just get huge monsters now :( And you just have to have them because of their out-of-the-old-world stats.
It's playoff time... GO SHARKS!
Breeze
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Breeze »

I doubt we will get any crazy monster as I don't know what they could cook up that lives in a forest that is scarrier than our Treeman. I just hope we get our overpriced units fixed to make them worth their points or drops to their point costs. The Tomb Kings new Monstrous Mounts with killing blow and poisoned attacks do seem very ridiculous. My guess is that they are trying to make this army more appealing and make it a big seller like Empire, HE, DE, and O&G.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

I think it will do well, loads of cool stuff, i just read that the Usabiti (big monsterous infantry undead thingys) can take strength 6 30" bows as one of their options :cry:

tomb kings anit even a monster mash army and look how many big killy things they got, if Ogre kingdoms comes out next i dread to think what that will be like, units of giants :lol:

.......dont worrie in the next WE army book waywatches will get the heroic killing blow shooting arrows of death !!! (with the razor standard :paranoid: )
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Few of actual "rumors"
We still cause fear, can't march and hold for charge reaction. Unbreakable/unstable special rules etc.
Heirophant: has to take Nek Lore.
Liche can take Nek Lore, Light and Death.

Lords

Tomb King :170 gw +6 fl,sp(ch) +3 ch +60 100mi
- same stats
Special rule: Neh undead + My Will Be Done gives his WS to the unit he is in (except mounts)

High Liche priest :170 Lvl 3 + Lvl 4 35 ss +15 100mi
- same stats
Special rule: Neh undead

Tomb Prince :100 gw +4 fl,sp(ch) +2 ch +60 50mi
- same stats
Special rule: Neh undead + My Will Be Done gives his WS to the unit he is in (except mounts)

Heroes

Herald :60
- 5pts cheaper but has to buy BSB for 25pts 50mi (100mb)
- +1A
Special rule: Neh undead: The BSB, in addition to the abilities described above, "serves" a tomb king or prince and can give the one they serve a 2+ ward save (however the BSB takes the wound instead).

Necrotect :60 50mi
- same stats as herald
- gives unit hatred
- gives constructs within 12 inches 6+ regen
- Big maybe on this but I am sure I read he gives the unit he is in hatred
Special rule: Neh undead, hatred (unit)

Liche Priests :70 Lvl 1 + Lvl 2 35 ss +15 50mi
- same stats

Core

10+ Skeletons + hand weapon and shield = 4pts ch, mus, sb all 10pts
spear is 1+ point per model, light armour is 1 pt per model.
- same stats

10+ Bowmen + hand weapon + bow = 6 pts ch, mus, sb all 10pts
light armour is 1 pt per model.
- same stats ch has bs=3
Special rule: Neh undead + AotA

5+ Skeleton Horsemen + hand weapon + shield + spear = 12 pts ch, mus, sb all 10pts
light armour is 1 pt per model.
- same stats
Special rule: Neh undead + Van

5+ Skeleton Horse Archers + hand weapon + bow = 14pts ch, mus, sb all 10pts
light armour is 2 pt per model.
- same stats
Special rule: Neh undead + Van + Scouts + AotA

3+ Skeleton Chariots + hand weapon + shield + spear = 55pts ch, mus, sb all 10pts - Ms up to 25
- same stats but crew have 2 attacks ch has 3 attacks
Special rule: Neh undead + Chariot Legions 3 per rank + ‘And the Tomb Kings ride to war’ +1 impact strength per complete rank + AotA

Special

3+ Ushabti gw - 50 ch, mus, sb all 10pts
- same stats but now S4
- can replace gw for ahw or str 6 bows with 30 inch range
Special rule: Neh undead + undead construct

Tomb Scorpion -85
- 1 less wound
Special rule: Neh undead + undead construct + it came from below + pa + kb

3+ Carrion - 24
- +1A
Special rule: Neh undead + fly

10+ Tomb Guard – light armour + shields = 12 ch, mus, sb all 10pts
hal +2 25 mb
Special rule: Neh undead + kb

3+ Necropolis Knight - 65
- T4, 3W, 3+ save, snake 3A S5 (pa), rider 2A S4 (kb), both I3
- 5pts for it came from below
Special rule: Neh undead + undead construct + pa + kb

3+ Sepulchral Stalkers - 55
- T4, 3W, 2A, S4, halberd
- shooting attack, 8 inch range, artillary dive auto hits, S1 vs initiative, no save, misfire does D3 wounds

Rare

Necrosphinx - 230
- S5, 5A, I1, T8, 5W, 5+ save, fly, KB, 1 attack gets S10 HKB
- can buy poisoned attacks 15
Special rule: Neh undead + undead construct, kb

Warsphinx - 210
- S5, 4A, I1, T8, 5W, 5+ save
- thundercrush is the same as the ogre thundermace
- can buy poisoned attacks 15 S4 breath weapon 20

Bone giant - 170
- now T6, 5+ save
- can buy extra HW 5 , GW 10 or bow with S6 D3 wounds 20
Special rule: Neh undead + undead construct + Unstoppable assault

Hierotitan - 175
- same stats as bone giant except 3A
- has bound spirit leach and shas burning gaze at casting cost
- adds D3 to casting total of priests within 12 inches

Screaming Skull catapult - 90
- skulls of the foe is 30pts
Special rule: Neh undead + Ss

Casket of Souls
- same stats no liche, 3W – 135
- + D3 power dice in your magic phase max
- PL5 bound spell which makes a unit roll 3D6 and subtract leadership and lose the difference in wounds with no armour save, and it spreads like a skaven plague spell on a 3+ to affect more enemy units.

Magic Items

Destroyer of Eternities - 80 - gives heroic killing blow and +2 STR, with the same "sweep attack" as before (though this only works on foot).

Cloak of Dunes – 40 – flying and has an added ability to inflict 2D6 STR2 hits on any unit the character flies over.

Mighty Plaques of Neferra – 50 - is one-time item that adds the wizard's level worth of power dice to a single casting (you still have to use at least 1PD from the pool).

Undying Legion Banner – 50 - and adds D6+2 lost wounds to any unit at PL 5.

The Hidden Dead Banner – 90 - allows a 150 point unit to come up from the ground. But it uses the new ICFB rule so the emerging unit can't charge.

Enkhils canopy and the terror mask are still around as is the spear that heals wounds.

Now what I do not know is...

New ICFB rules, is there a missfire and when do you place marker and the rules for that!.
If the Casket still has a ward save?
If constucts still get their +2 save and 1 less combat res.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

Was just in the gamesshop here and read the book. The magic seemes really good. Lots of augument spells that was dangorous.
Good magic items as well. They have ogrebased creatures now other than the scropion who can do that "beneth the sands" thing.
The new army books seemed inspiring, fun to play with and balanced to me. Lots of new cool units.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Inspiring it is, 40 long range + 30 short range (average!) shots to get down the flying Sphynx, but if enemy will take 1st turn or unburrow the Scorpion under your archers... ha-ha-hahm... not funny. And now the surprise - 2 of Sphynx may be taken into 2k points army! S6 bows to everyone and killing blows everywhere = forget about enemy monsters and cavalry. Maybe there is also "I win" spell included, it'd fit fine :smoke:

P.S. 4 point skeletons that have WS higher than Eternal guard finishes the picture :angry:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Aemir wrote:...
DOOOOOOM. We are DOOOOOOMed!
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

unicorn wrote:
Aemir wrote:...
DOOOOOOM. We are DOOOOOOMed!
Lawlz, the only army I feel that against currently is well built Daemons because of their cheesy, everything has magic attacks rule.

Against the updated Tomb Kings, I suspect they will be a tough opponent, but nothing like Daemons can be.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620