New FAQs for all

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

New FAQs for all

Post by unicorn »

Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Isjiek
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New FAQs for all

Post by Isjiek »

I see only the version form july, am I doing something wrong?

curiosity. ^^
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Actually, not all the FAQs have been updated. If you look at the actual documents, you'll see some are v1.2 and some are v1.1 still.

Basically, everything except Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Daemons have received updated FAQs.

NB. The rulebook has been updated, despite being only v1.1 - the previous version (v1.0) was released at the same time as the v1.1 FAQs so it is a decimal behind...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

new FAQs

Post by unicorn »

Few new FAQs (BRB, Brets, HE, Ska, OaG, VC, WoC) can be found HERE.
Some of the rulings are a little... surprising
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Kissaten
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kissaten »

Shame wood elves weren't updated, I was hoping for a 'at start of game roll a d6, 1-3 you win 4-6 its a draw ruling'... makes it fairer for my opponents and cuts out the 3-4 hours of playing needed :sexy:
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Isnt it really weird that WE havene got a 1.2 or1.3 faq? I fins it hard to believe that GW doesn't think there are unclear issues, or army mechanics that need changing about wood elves. Do they not get enough q's about our army or do they just ignore us? Any theories
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'm not sure why we're the only army that's not been updated, but it is odd. It can't be for lack of questions that need answering; it could be because GW aren't aware of the questions, but I think that's unlikely being as we're the only army without an update...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Kertilien
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kertilien »

I think most of the second batch of updates was just an update to the rules for Giants - several armies use them.
Nightstalker
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen

Post by Nightstalker »

I think they believe that because we're one of the oldest books (and are still viable as an army) that we don't need that much tweaking. Shame they don't seem to listen to our cries of "sort out the damned razor banner once and for all". We need an updated army list more than a FAQ there aren't that many questions unanswered are there? Perhaps as the largest recognized asrai site we should post them here and see if we can't help one another out?
Arundrel Winterleaf's Hunt
W/D/L
5/0/0
ajp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ajp »

Wait does the razor banner apply to shooting?
I though it didn't
Waywatchers lead the way!
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

The Razor Banner applies to shooting. I called and asked directly three times and talked to three different people. Same answer every time. I did, however, stress it should be clarified. I likewise asked if the free forest we put down is a mysterious wood. Their answer is, "no, it is normal forest."
ajp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ajp »

wait who did you all
Waywatchers lead the way!
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Here, I'll start:

1.) Clarify how the Sisters of the Twilight work, as far as wounds, wound allocation, etc. works when they ride Gwindalor (Great Eagle) and become a multi-rider monstrous cavalry.

2.) Clarify the Eternal kindred FAQ entry. Does the armor save stack with other armors (non-magic)? Can they take additional weapons (non-magic) and gain both benefits? Can they use magic weapons and/or armor and keep the bonuses? While mounted, do they gain an armor save bonus? Saearath say they are "spear-staves" in the rule entry and the entry mentions Eternal Guard use this or the more traditional Spear and Shield. -- Does that mean, while mounted, an Eternal Kindred would gain the rules for using a Spear (+1 Strength on the charge)?

3.) Can Wild Rider kindred characters take any magic helm, or only the Helm of the Hunt?

4.) Can a model stand and shoot with A Muster of Malevolents AND its other ranged attacks, even if the enemy is within its movement value when charging said model OR can they only stand and shoot with A Muster of Malevolents under such circumstances?

5.) The Stone of Rebirth can be used more than once via the last Wood Elf FAQ. Why was the "One use only" entry left in, and how does that work, if it stays in, with a reusable item?

These last 2 are more for my own clarification than necessarily rules clarification.
6.) Why are Forest Spirit's ward saves against non-magic attacks only when every other model with a similar save (aka what all Daemons used to have) have a true 5+ ward save against anything?

7.) Why can Wood Elf Spellsingers only take Lore of Athel Loren when nearly every other army with hero spellcasters can take more than just an army book Lore?
Last edited by Shandrakor on 28 Nov 2010, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Yup. Adress that and most things would be clear.
If they went all out and removed the skirmish specialrule from dryads it would be nice too IMO
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Nightstalker
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen

Post by Nightstalker »

I can answer the 1st Qu.

When riding the Great Eagle, you use the highest wounds and toughness of the model (monsterous cavalry) (in this case 3 & 4 respectively) Then roll to see which sister is hit after wounding (1-3 Arahan 4-6 Naestra). Thats pretty much how characters in a chariot work (if not exactly) so for 325 points you've got a fairly survivable lord choice. I think the argument is that the Mount is also linked to the spirit sisters, tho i wouldn't be surprised if they were removed after the new army book.

For the 3rd Qu.

I would lean towards yes. The models are sculpted as wearing helms (i know this doesn't always guarantee they will but it does occasionally matter) and the helm of the hunt was the only relevant one when the question was asked. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change the wording so that they can have any magical Light armour or helm.

I'm away for a bit will answer more tomorrow
W/D/L
5/0/0
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Nightstalker wrote:When riding the Great Eagle, you use the highest wounds and toughness of the model (monsterous cavalry) (in this case 3 & 4 respectively) Then roll to see which sister is hit after wounding (1-3 Arahan 4-6 Naestra). Thats pretty much how characters in a chariot work (if not exactly) so for 325 points you've got a fairly survivable lord choice. I think the argument is that the Mount is also linked to the spirit sisters, tho i wouldn't be surprised if they were removed after the new army book.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The highest wounds of the model is 3, from the Great Eagle. Each Sister only has 2 wounds each. Also, you use the toughness of the rider, not the highest toughness, which in this case, is T3, not T4. The question pertains to, do the Sisters each gain 3 wounds per Sister, because the Great Eagle has 3 and is the highest wounds characteristic, or does the model all together only have 3, or does it play like the monster rules, so 2 wounds each like their profiles? And if it only has 3, then how the heck do you randomize hits... one Sister has 1 wound and the other has 2? That makes little sense, and such the clarification is needed.

As for your Wild Rider answer, it's just speculation and not a clear cut answer.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Nightstalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nightstalker »

I stand corrected, the wounds are used, not the toughness. Apologies, I have some bones to pick with a dark elf player.

I do agree that all of the questions posed by Shandrakor need to be answered, what i offered were some possible answers, which will always be "speculation" with a reason to back them up

With regards to the Monstrous Cavalry rules it says "use the higest Wounds characteristic the model has" thats 3 (for the Eagle) Vs 2&2 for the sisters so I can see where the conundrum is. I know that they're a Monsterous cavalry, but until it's sorted I think they should be treated as a "Unique Unit" although classes as "infantry"

Like I said with regards to the Helms ruling "I would lean towards yes" then why i believed this to be the case, i.e because at the time of the relevant F.A.Q The helm of the hunt was the only helm available to the Asrai

Of course knowing GW they'll produce one question that nobody asked (like "does Orion get the fury of kurnous special rule?")

Having asked that jokingly I'd like to add it as a "for personal carification" rule

3. Why doesn't the avatar of Kurnous i.e Orion, have the "Fury of Kurnous" special rule
W/D/L
5/0/0
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Shandrakor wrote: 5.) The Stone of Rebirth can be used more than once via the last Wood Elf FAQ. Why was the "One use only" entry left in, and how does that work, if it stays in, with a reusable item?
I don't know GWs intention, but I know how it's played. Once the Stone triggers, it confers the bonus. However, if the the Stone is triggered, but then the model no longer has one wound (perhaps he gained +1 wound from Lifebloom, or died and came back to life through some spell, special rule or magic wargear) then the Stone would cease to function.

So don't Lifebloom a model using the Stone :wink:
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

If I was to give a new FAQ for WE here's what I'd doo:

Armybook changes:

Edit: Spellsingers may choose lore of Beasts and life and Athel Loren
Forestspirits: 5+ ward on all attacks. 

Wardancers: bladestorm: lets all models in the unit attack. upgrade a wardancer to standard bearer for +14 points. Give a 5+ dodgesave

Dryads: remove skirmishers 

Asrai archery: add ignores tohit modifiers for long-range. 
All models in the wood elf army armed with a longbow may shoot a number of shots equal to the number of attacks on their profile. 

Warhawkriders add: light armor, may take shields for +1 point per model. Add arboreal predator

Waywatchers:
Add multiple shots(x2) sniper. Add a 6+ dodge save

Change free wood to a woodland knowledge rule: let's asrai dictate the nature of each musterious forest on the table. 

Glade guard scouts: keep gladeguard longbows

Gladeguard longbows: Armourpiercing, S4 on Shortrange. 

Make gladeguard longbows available to all non-kindred, eternal kindred, scout kindred nobles and heroes. 

Gladeriders and warhawkriders have gladeguard longbows

Gladeriders: may be upgraded with shield and light armor. But If they do they loose fast cavalry. 

Wild riders: give 2 attacks on basic profile. 

Eagle: 2 for 1 choice

Bsb: no equipment restrictions

Eternal guard: remove EG fighting style. Add heavy armour
New weapon: Saerath +1A, add. Rank like spears. Works like a handweapon shield combo(+1AS and 6+ parry save fighting to the front)
may add gladeguard longbows for 2 point per model. 

Make stags and unicorns two tiered. Regular with 1 W on cavalrybase and available to all kindreds. give fast cav rule
Elder stag/unicorn: as now

Spites available to champions
And regular treemen

Talismanic tattoos available to lords and heroes
Last edited by Baardah on 05 Dec 2010, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

That item is a horse...
Hooba
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hooba »

Baardah, that's pretty much an Errata, not a FAQ. Actually, that's basically a new armybook, haha.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Well call it what you want. But it didn't take me more than 10 minutes to come up with that. And its completely possibly for GW to do a thorough, errata, faq, amendments document like that.

That item is a horse...
Nightstalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nightstalker »

hmmm 10 mins to write an army book, are you Gav Thorpe?
W/D/L
5/0/0
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Nah, but i always have had a certain talent og making up new things within a gamesystem. Being it armies, rules, magic items or careers/classes( in a role-play setting)
At least I've bin told so.... But those ideas I mentioned, aren't all mine though. It's more a compilation of the ideas I think is best and most balanced, mainly from this site.
I believe all that is possible to implement quickly through a few sentences in our FAQ document.

I seriously hope a new armybook would contain more than just these. I expect to see atleast 1 new unit and a bunch of new spites/ magic items

That item is a horse...
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Sigh. For a second I thought these were updated to the official FAQ and I almost cried for joy.
Yes and yes.
Wardancers: bladestorm: lets all models in the unit attack. upgrade a wardancer to standard bearer for +14 points. Give a 5+ dodgesave
I think it would be easier to just combine all the existing dances so that Wardancers benefit from them all simultaneously. A model with S3 (S4 on the charge), T3, 3 Attacks, 4+ Ward, ASF Killing Blow sounds worth 18 points in my book. Their formidable abilities are countered by the fact you don't get the Ward Save against shooting, they're still skirmishers, and have limited command options.
New weapon: Saerath +1A, add. Rank like spears. Works like a handweapon shield combo(+1AS and 6+ parry save fighting to the front)
Not sure about heavy armor, neither High or Dark Elves get heavy armor, so I doubt we'd have it either. Use a special rule to reflect the fighting style, or add a to-hit penalty (could function against both close combat and shooting attacks) to represent the whirling blur of spear staves in formation.

Everything else looks pretty good. Nothing too powerful here, assuming we keep the same unit entries in the book.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Tethlis wrote:Sigh. For a second I thought these were updated to the official FAQ and I almost cried for joy.
Yes and yes.
I think it would be easier to just combine all the existing dances so that Wardancers benefit from them all simultaneously. A model with S3 (S4 on the charge), T3, 3 Attacks, 4+ Ward, ASF Killing Blow sounds worth 18 points in my book. Their formidable abilities are countered by the fact you don't get the Ward Save against shooting, they're still skirmishers, and have limited command options.
Not sure about heavy armor, neither High or Dark Elves get heavy armor, so I doubt we'd have it either. Use a special rule to reflect the fighting style, or add a to-hit penalty (could function against both close combat and shooting attacks) to represent the whirling blur of spear staves in formation.

Everything else looks pretty good. Nothing too powerful here, assuming we keep the same unit entries in the book.
Sorry for "cheating you ;) IMO heavy armour on Eternal guard fits, since its in our fluff. DE and HE have access to heav
y armour at least on their specials, so i dont think that a semicore unit in the WE book that costs 12 points as opposed to the overcheap dark elves and the well, cheaper, high elves, is to overpowered

That item is a horse...