New FAQs for all

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Re: New FAQs for all

Post by Tethlis »

Where exactly in the lore does it justify Eternal Guard having heavy armor? Our characters can't even take heavy armor as mundane wargear, and couldn't get it at all until the new rulebook magic items were released. I don't see why Eternal Guard should get it either. Dark Elves craft heavy armor, High Elves craft heavy armor, Wood Elves don't.

I'm not arguing that Eternal Guard don't need more survivability, I agree that they do, but I don't know that stacking their armor save is necessarily the solution. Now that every ranked up unit can potentially be Stubborn via Steadfast, I think we might see Eternal Guard become more focused in their role: Either cheap and basic, like Dark Elf and High Elf Spearmen, or more elite and specialized for killing/surviving, like the High Elf and Dark Elf Special choice elite infantry.
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

Spellsingers may choose lore of Beasts and life and Athel Loren
Forestspirits: 5+ ward on all attacks.
I agree with both of these.
Wardancers: bladestorm: lets all models in the unit attack. upgrade a wardancer to standard bearer for +14 points. Give a 5+ dodgesave
I disagree with all but the 5+ ward
Dryads: remove skirmishers
I think this would do more harm to the unit then help.
Asrai archery: add ignores tohit modifiers for long-range.
All models in the wood elf army armed with a longbow may shoot a number of shots equal to the number of attacks on their profile.
I disagree with removing the long range penalty, we already get the no move and shoot penalty which i think is better anyway. only characters would benefit from the second part, and only some characters at that, so while i agree with it, it does also mean a change to the bow of Loren, and probably a pt cost change in the magic arrows
Waywatchers: Add multiple shots(x2) sniper. Add a 6+ dodge save
Sniper and 2x shots on top of the killing blow at close range seems like overkill to me.
Eagle: 2 for 1 choice
Is this even needed anymore? I the reason it was wanted in 7th edition was because eagles competed for slots with treeman and waywatchers, but now that slots have been done away with the only thing that restricts you from taking multiples of them is the no more then 2 of the same rare choice at 2000 pts rule, do people really want to run 3 or 4 eagles in a 2000 pt game?
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Bad beast: Care to go deeper?

to elaborate: 2 for 1 on eagles means we can take 6 and still be within the "no more than 3 of each rare" rule.

I cant see removing skirmishers from dryads would harm them. Ranks on top of the killiness would make for a both a good anvil and hammer unit, which can deny ranks in the flank and might even be steadfast too.

Why do you disagree on the changes to wardancers? they cost 18 points and seriously needs some buffing to be worth their points.

The change to gladeguard longbows is founded in my believe that WE should be the most feared Shooting army in warhammer. Right now: Skaven, Empire and dwarfs hold the "most feared ranged" title. I think thats wrong.

So no penalties for long range along with no move and shoot penalties should bring us closer to most feared.

I feel most of our troops can easily be buffed with out an points increase, since WE are pretty overprized at the moment.

So would you explain why you oppose. makes it a more interesting discussion :nod:
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Hooba
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hooba »

"The change to gladeguard longbows is founded in my believe that WE should be the most feared Shooting army in warhammer. Right now: Skaven, Empire and dwarfs hold the "most feared ranged" title. I think thats wrong."

While I would love this to be the case for Wood Elves, there is a reason our military carries firearms and not bows and arrows. Black powder tends to win out in those situations.
Nevermore
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nevermore »

a nice idea for a tough armour would be:
Olive armour: 2+ AS; wearer gains Flammable; if used with a shield reduce initiative by 1; 40 pts.

and it seems to me you are giving too much to us, if you expect the points to be the same.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

OK gents, this is heading a bit off-topic now. If you want to come up with your own FAQ the appropriate place for it would be the Weald of Evolution, not here.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

New FAQs out

Post by unicorn »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... ue&start=2
New FAQs for countelss armies, WE included
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Eldar

Re: New FAQs out

Post by Frimbleglim »

Thanks for the Heads up.

Only change to wood elf one seems to be that BSBs can't take magic shields which was what I thought anyway.

No info on the Razor banner sadly.
Elf-light, bat-light,
Touchwood-light and toad-light,
And the sea a shimmering gloom of grey,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
In a world of wonders far away.
Scanningforlife
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Scanningforlife »

Razor Banner is covered quite well by the rules.

It does not affect ranged attacks. The banner grants the model armour piercing, and the rule for armour piercing states that if a model has armour piercing then only H2H attacks are changed.
The only way a ranged attack is changed is if the weapon has armour piercing, which is not granted by the banner.
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Eldar

Post by Frimbleglim »

Scanningforlife wrote:Razor Banner is covered quite well by the rules.

It does not affect ranged attacks. The banner grants the model armour piercing, and the rule for armour piercing states that if a model has armour piercing then only H2H attacks are changed.
The only way a ranged attack is changed is if the weapon has armour piercing, which is not granted by the banner.
I know that is the rules as written. I have read it carefully myself. But noone actually seems to use that ruling. I pointed that out to the staff at my local GW and they said that they were sure it was a mistake. I don't' really care which way it is ruled but I would like to see some clarification.
Elf-light, bat-light,
Touchwood-light and toad-light,
And the sea a shimmering gloom of grey,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
In a world of wonders far away.
Nuada
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Dwarfs, Goblins and Orcs

Post by Nuada »

They probably don't update us as much because they are working on our new army book? One can hope right?

And how do you become aware of these FAQ sheets? Do you just check the articles section on GW everyday? I've never seen announcements on their site about them...
Caitsidhe wrote:The Razor Banner applies to shooting. I called and asked directly three times and talked to three different people. Same answer every time. I did, however, stress it should be clarified. I likewise asked if the free forest we put down is a mysterious wood. Their answer is, "no, it is normal forest."
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

New 8th ed FAQs

Post by unicorn »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... ue&start=2
WFB rulebook, Beasts, Demons, Dawis, DElves, Orcs, Ogres, Vampires and WoCh.

Topics merged; there is no need to begin a new topic every time ~ Beithir
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Re: New 8th ed FAQs

Post by Kulgan86 »

Are the ones you mention new?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: New 8th ed FAQs

Post by unicorn »

Kulgan86 wrote:Are the ones you mention new?
Yes
Painted
Finished