Neverwinter Nights

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Neverwinter Nights

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

My nephew has recommended this game as a good starting single-player RPG. Any input?
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Re: Neverwinter Nights

Post by Bad Beast »

It really depends on the type of RPG that your looking for, NWN is based off of third edition D&D, and if your looking for a good dungeons and dragons style RPG it's not a bad choice to go with, Baulders Gate, and Icewind Dale are also very good D&D based games
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
novatomato
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by novatomato »

Planescape Torment is my favourite of the D&D style RPG video games out there, but Baldurs gate is also phenominal. NWN was good, it had a good storyline, not as good as the previous two I mentioned, and it has an intuitive system which is where it really picks up the points. It is possibly the easiest one to get into.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

I have no clue what sort of RPG I'm looking for since I have never played one. My drug of choice is RTS. I don't play FPS either, unless you count MechWarrior.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

mkoop
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Asrai, VC, Beasts, HE, Khador, Circle

Post by mkoop »

I think you would really like "Dragon Age" AMA. It is a mixture of RTS / RPG, it also involves a great deal of knowledge of boolean logic to set up your characters to perform what tasks you want in the order / under the circumstances you want. It also has a very neat story line that is easy to dive into. The graphics weren't exactly the level I expected but it was a very fun game none the less. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Well... Baldrus gate and Newerwinter are very good clasiccal 3rd person RPGs. I will say Planescape is a little more difficult that this two, though also more rewarding for the player.
Only better 3rd person RPG that this three are Fallout 1 and 2. If you like scifi and if you can overcome old graphic, this games are simply phenomenal.

Then there are the 1st person RPGs. They are completely different experience. If I will not think about very old, though classic pieces like Ultima Underworld, there is the Gothic 3 - very good one - and Witcher. Personally, I will recomand the Witcher as very very good starting RPG. Simple but complex system, truly great story which you can influence upon, many good sidequests... It is "modern" RPG, though good one. Also Fallout 3 may be good, though I do not think good for beginning player. Also there are KotOR (Knights of the Old Republick) - they are good ones, if you like Star wars universum.

And then, there are action-based RPGs. Diablo 1 and 2 are the best ones, by far. This are 3rd person isometrical games which combines RPG staff (experience, levels, stats, skills, mana) with constant and instant action and never-ending slashing. With somehow poor story, this games are based really upon killing tons of thouands enemies running against you. I know it may sound boring, but somehow it really is not.

And even then, there are Japanese RPGs. You will love them or hate them. They have awesome (thugh specific) stories, great (though specific) characters, very specific graphic, and very very specific system. If you wish to try them, try Final Fantasy 7 or 8
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Typo
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Typo »

NWN is a brilliant series - I'd almost recommend the first game and it's expansions over NWN2 if you can get it for a starting point, although 2 is excellenty done, too :)
Nagathi wrote:Typo is correct.
Illidan, in #Albion wrote:<Illidan|the_sandwichman> But it's so kinky and funny... and... kinky!
* Illidan|the_sandwichman rides Typo|lunch
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

NWN 1 is the best... I especially recomennd it due to the large base of user created mod
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

A local store has something called Neverwinter Nights Diamond for $9.99. I'm interested in Fantasy. I played D&D when it first came out in the early 70's. It would be nice if I could play something Wood Elfy

Sounds like this is worht the investment for a couple of hours of harmless fun.

My nephew played Dragon Age (or something like that) on his Xbox a couple of weekends ago. He must have liked it because, except for when shoved food under the door, we never saw him for nearly three days!

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Salamander
Campaign Team

Post by Salamander »

Dragon age is da bomb..

But I can recommend Never Winternights... mostly becouse I GM'ed on a nice little Warhammer server once ;)
novatomato
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by novatomato »

If you really want to get immersed in the RPG world (traditional RPGs). You should start with some of the games on the super nintendo. Namely, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger (my favourite RPG ever), and Breath of Fire 2. Those three are possibly the epitome of classical RPG video games, and they are simple to understand but they can be very difficult and the stories are excellent (after all they come from the generation of games where graphics weren't great so the story and gameplay was what kept people interested).
After these three I would suggest progressing to suikoden, and suikoden 2 (both on the playstation), Final Fantasy 7 and 8 (also playstation). Then go back to the SNES for Star Ocean (you'd have to download it unless you can read Japanese) and back to the playstation for Star Ocean 2: the second story.
If you want to keep the strategy elements you could go for the 'Tactics' style RPGs, such as Tactics Ogre, or Final Fantasy Tactics. Both of those are very solid games.
Good heavens, I sure play a lot of console RPGs :smoke:
Salamander
Campaign Team

Post by Salamander »

but none of those are traditional RPG's.. they are all either Sci-Fi or JRPG's....

Neverwinter nights is a good bet ;)
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

I have no consoles anyway. NWN it is. I'm getting it today. Thanks.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Salamander
Campaign Team

Post by Salamander »

Be sure to get gold though.... those upgrades are platin
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Gold? It says Diamond on the box. What is platin?

Started playing as an Elven Druid. A bit boring at the start and the story seems trite.

I have never thought of elves as being especially busty, but the artwork suggests otherwise.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mabelode »

AMA, online or off?
If online then World of Warcraft is still the bee's knee's. If off line then NWN is a great starting place as RPG's revolve around storytelling and identifying with characters. There's also the benefit that you can get your nephew into reading (if he's not already) as there's a series of books to help identify with the story/characters.
(By the way; my best D&D character was a human ranger who I managed to multi-skill through use of a wish spell into a ranger/magic-user/cleric with permanent wings due to a limited wish spell that made the cloak that did this [can't for the life of me remember the name] permanent and reached level 12/10/10).
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Off line.

I'm pretty disappointed. I played for several hours yesterday while I watched sports and ground my way through the first chapter playing a Lawful ('cause it's hard to game a quest properly Chaotic) Neutral Elven Druid. I robbed only enough stuff to 'survive' and randomly killed, released, or intimidated prisoners, except for the dryad, to stay neutral. However, in spite of everything, my alignment drifted toward good. When I delivered the last ingredient for the cure, which seems essentail for the plot, my alignment jumped from 65 to 85 good and I can no longer level up as a Druid, so I'm ruined and cannot progress. :( :(

That's really lame.

The system hangs from time to time too.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:However, in spite of everything, my alignment drifted toward good. When I delivered the last ingredient for the cure, which seems essentail for the plot, my alignment jumped from 65 to 85 good and I can no longer level up as a Druid, so I'm ruined and cannot progress. :( :(

That's really lame.
Yeah. In NWN, if you wish to be "neutral", you must act both good and evil, each time differently. Pretty stupid, as "evil" doing usually means "acting like an idiot" there in NWN world :(
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

As far as I can tell, there is no evil way to deliver the four ingredients to the PALADIN! If I were Evil, they'd probably attack me on sight, so I could not advance then either.

Good alternated with Evil is Chaotic and/or insanity, not neutral.

I cannot advance much as anything else and I don't want to be a S10 Fighter!

It seems a rotten payoff for several hours of work/play. :(

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

bartje
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves, high elves, dark elves and tomb kings

Post by bartje »

Well, I'm currently playing the game and I have a lot of fun with it, hacking my way through a lot of enemies. The storyline is okay but there's no real depth in the game.

I to tried the elven druid, but as you also discovered it didn't really work.

Then I tried the wizard, but I had to rest to much because I could only cast spells once.
I'm currently playing a elven sorceress and she rocks with her summon familiar, spellrange and henchmen. I equiped her with a crossbow, so she could fight safely from a distance.
I don't know how the game plays with a fighter, would like to try a paladin.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

If they let you play as an Elven Druid, it ought to work, with some care!

I could play as a human cleric; that's what I specialized in with P&P.

I invested a lot of time. If I played it with a different character thnigs would be spoiled since I know how to 'cheat' my way to victory the second time around.

I can't really see why people think this thing is so good. Pleny of P and some G, but comparatively little R.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

Actually don't bother with the campaigns in NWN1. They are pretty bad. If you got all the expansions and maybe CEP2, try dl some nice modules from nwvault. Or even better start on a persistent world. I'm playing on Neversummer 4, and it has been worked on for a long time. Other persistent worlds out there are pretty good too.
There is one based on MERP (MiddleEarth Role Play by ICE) and called ARDA. You need a lot of HAKS to play there, but it's one of the most beautiful worlds out there.
Lethal Shot from the shades.
Killing Blow face to face.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Sorry. I can't understand a thing that you are saying, even though it is in English!

People recommended this to me. I expected something different/better. I expected that I could role-play a neutral Elf Druid half-well, even if I was not successful. Alignment problems were not what I expected.

I can still advance as a Shifter, whatever that is. Hope I can use my 19 Wisdom. :D

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

TheOracle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts

Post by TheOracle »

On RPGs, I would say that Dragon Age is everything NWN was, (and is) just better. I played both a fair amount, and found that while the background to DA isn't quite as good as NWN, or the character options, overall it is a much better game in every other regard. If you like NWN, get and try a demo of DA would be my suggestion.

Out of interest, what RTS do you play?
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

At the moment/most recently, Sins of a Solar Empire; I can almost imagine it to be BFG.

I have Total War from Shogun onwards and like the more combat-full Company of Heroes. I have most of the award winning RTS's from the last 10 years.

I'm making a virtue out of necessity with NWN and continuing a a lvl5 Druid/ lvl?? Shifter. Being able to fly and breathe fire as a Wyrmling or stomp and carry a big axe as a Minotaur is fun. If I keep this up, I'll eventually get to be a DRAGON!

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!