Neverwinter Nights

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Fnord
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, lizardmen, space orks, tau

Re: Neverwinter Nights

Post by Fnord »

Then there are the 1st person RPGs. They are completely different experience. If I will not think about very old, though classic pieces like Ultima Underworld, there is the Gothic 3 - very good one - and Witcher. Personally, I will recomand the Witcher as very very good starting RPG. Simple but complex system, truly great story which you can influence upon, many good sidequests... It is "modern" RPG, though good one. Also Fallout 3 may be good, though I do not think good for beginning player. Also there are KotOR (Knights of the Old Republick) - they are good ones, if you like Star wars universum.
Have you played gothic 1 & 2? Those are 2 amazing game (1 has a better setting, but 2 is both longer & harder. I'm working my way trough it at the moment, and it's probably the best CRPG that I have played since The witcher or Vampire: bloodlines). The witcher is... different. Not different in a bad way, but it's, well, not traditional in it's playstyle. As for the story & setting, it's great.

NWN is a series of games that I never got into. The story did not seem to be that interesting, and well, i just did not like it. If you want to play a good D&D style CRPG, then the above mentioned Planescape: torment is really the way to go. It's less combat and more story & dialog based than NWN or Baldur's gate, and the planescape setting is very interesting.

DA was a lot shorter than I expected it to be, and I almost felt cheated when I finished the game after just over 30h (reviewers claimed that the main story alone should take 80-100h!), and I did most (but not all) sidequests. It was a good game, but it had several rough edges, and it would most likely have been good for it if the had spent another ½year on it. The setting was what impressed me the most. It's one of the best high fantasy settings that I have seen, and it feels far more believable than say Forgotten realms (as a roleplayer I like settings to feel like they could work. They don't have to be realistic, but they have to be believable, and forgotten realms is a mess in that regard), the story was good, but most of the main game did not tie into it very well, and the AI was downright stupid (I have the problem that once I have found a loophole in the AI, i can't help myself from abusing it... but this is only true for loopholes that I myself have found), so most fights were far too easy.
There are some really good CRPGs out there tough, the top ones would be:
The witcher (amazing story, amazing setting, a bit grindy)
Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines (this one stays very faithful to it's source material, it's a very good game, but also a very very buggy game. There is a fanpatch out there that helps, a lot, but it does not fix everything)
Morrowind (Good story, amazing setting, very open ended. Oblivion is also good, but it's too easy, and the setting is not very interesting, Daggerfall on the other hand has these impossible dungeons & it's incredibly buggy. I have not really given Arena a chance)
Fallout 1-3 (Good story, amazing setting, very open ended and a good game. 3 is not as good as 1 & 2, but it's still a very solid game)
Planescape: torment (It uses the best D&D setting, it has some really interesting characters and a really good story. The dialog is also very well written)
Mass effect (The voice acting in this one is top of the line, and the story is also very interesting, as is the setting. The 2nd half of the game drags tough)
Gothic (1 has a very interesting setting, and has a system that rewards a skilled player, plus the story is interesting and the voice acting is usually good, 2 has a good setting, a system that really rewards a skilled player (and punishes a poor player!), and it's challenging and the story is good, 3 is more open ended and the fighting system is worse, but it's still a good game. Fanpatch gothic 3!)
Arcanum (Steampunk done right! It's an open ended game, with a decent story, a great setting and a good system. Buggy, but well worth your time)
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Made a virtue out of necessity and continued as a Shifter. It was good to lurks as a Kobold ot hack away as a Drow and the Medusa and Mindflayer were good. I 'cheated' a little in the snowglobe. I spent all night slaughtering evil dryads and racking up Experience. With a Ring of Regeneration and another regeneration effect and a Vampiric Regeneration weapon, the dryads could not kill me, so I gained a couple of levels.

I've started on Underdark swith the same character and the Undead shapes are GREAT with Enseric the Knife.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Finally ran into a challenge I cannot get past.

You have to pull four coloured chains to match and in the same order as six coloured lights appear. I cannot tell the differences in the colours and so I have a 1/4000 chance of getting things right at random. I can't, so I have had to give up. There appears to be no way around or past this blockage. :(

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

t12161991
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Imperial Guard, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Tyranids, Empire (eventually)

Post by t12161991 »

You may be able to find an answer here... http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 88666.html

I would also recommend DA:O. I've lost upwards of 100 hours- with one character and barely starting a second.
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

There is no 'answer' as far as I can tell. It's just a matter of matching colours and I think the sequence changes each time.

My nephew liked DA:O and played it through twice; once 'good', once 'evil'.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Culain
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Culain »

I wasn't really a fan of the nwn campaign, but played a lot on online servers. The interaction with other players and DM's/ creativity from the dungeon/world builders made it better then mmorpgs where I had to pay monthly and couldn't affect the world around me. That was 2003 though, the game feels a bit dated and underpopulated compared to that time.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

They have too many colour-based problems. I played a rogue to clear traps 'casue I kept getting blown uo, but it doesn't seem to help any.

I played Shadows of Undrentide through a fair way but the Medusa kills me in the desert no matter WHAT I do. Also not much fun.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

parka
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: DoW, O&G, Nurgle legion

Post by parka »

Culain wrote:I wasn't really a fan of the nwn campaign, but played a lot on online servers. The interaction with other players and DM's/ creativity from the dungeon/world builders made it better then mmorpgs where I had to pay monthly and couldn't affect the world around me. That was 2003 though, the game feels a bit dated and underpopulated compared to that time.
Neverwinter Nights 2 still looks good and I think is a great game and from what I've heard and experienced you will be hard pushed to find a better place to RP than on a NWN2 Persistent World. And you got to love the ones with online DM's :D.
By the power of Greyskull I HAVE THE POWER!
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

So Neverwinter Nights 2 is better? Can I move my character(s) over from what I have been doing?

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

parka
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: DoW, O&G, Nurgle legion

Post by parka »

Yeah tons better graphically quite comparable to more recent games. It uses the AD&D system so that's a bonus and has a silly amount of playable classes and races. The single player is interesting enough to want to play over. (Tip you can command your group to heal you, stop, attack find traps ect using short cuts but best to macro them if you can)

NWN2 Persistent World range from bashing stuff WOW style only much better to hardcore geek RPing servers. Personally I like staying in character and feel it adds greatly to the bashing. Many have times of the day where a DM will be doing a live session where you can be awarded xp for RPing. Most seem to have a Cap on the levels you can reach just by bashing which is a very good thing if you ask me. There are 3 expansions for NWN2 I've not played MoW but out of the other two MoB is the only I really liked.

As someone mentioned Dragon Age: Origins is also a good game and worth a look at although I really felt it lacking in the variety of a great game. The Battles can be quite challenging on hard. But lets face it 3 character classes and 3 races and NWN2 has something like 25 subclass's and check out the spell list :P http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Spells
By the power of Greyskull I HAVE THE POWER!
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Thanks for the input. I've found a store that has 2 Gold on sale also.

Will there be any colour puzzles I cannot solve? :( :( :( :( :(

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

I have just completed the original campaign, starting with a Neutral Good Elven Druid/Shifter (Alter Noble!). I 'cheated' in the Snow Globe by spending 3 days slaughtering stunties, and gaining 7 levels, maxing out at 20, using shifter shapes. From then on, the campaign was quite easy, except for the fight against the two dragons.

I will not restart Hordes of the Underdark until I can figure a way past the colour puzzles, and I bought some stuff which I think will help.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Hopeless Hero
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Hopeless Hero »

I played NWN Straight through and all the expansions. I kind of power gamed it though. I did one level bard, 3 levels fighter, and 10 levels Dragon Disciple, followed by the rest as fighter. I was rocking about 28 str with equipment, and with a keen scimitar and Improved crit, I was critting on 12's. The game was cake. I never died and killed everything.
I was evil through the core game, and then switched it up for the expansions and was good by the time I finished.

I used to be HUGE into DnD, and I still have 16 rule books and a few hundred miniatures. But after I had a taste of other PnP systems, I realized how much DnD sucked by comparison. Right now I'm in a Dark Heresy game, and I'm loving it. I also Play Rolemaster from time to time. Both systems are vastly superior to D20.
"Knowledge is what you know, Intelligence is how you use it."
-Me
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

I'm playing an RPG for R as much as anything else and I don't know enough to powergame. It took me about an hour of running around and regenerating and making hit and run attacks to get the two dragons and it was lucky that I had four heal potions.

I have cracked the puzzle in HotU. I bought some gel filters and used them to filter out two primary colours so I can decode, using color theory, what color the lights are. I was surprised to discover that one was yellow and the other five were green! I would never have worked that one out.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!