New Beastman rumors

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: New Beastman rumors

Post by unicorn »

FYI, NU is 5 points, so 3NU means 15, or NU-3 means 2
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

I have a question. Can you roll for primal rage every beastman turn? Can you roll in opponents turn as well?
Ofc a lot of thier troops are trash but its not a bad special rule.
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

current rumours state you do, so with a LD 9 beastlord you are nearly always re-rolling your attacks.
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by ivrg »

Seems to me they have inserted that rule just to give them a little more punchingpower in the CC-phase. Or else they would suck big time against some unit types.

Anyone know what the units will cost in pts? I mean how much for an ungor? Like 4 pts?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

ivrg wrote:Anyone know what the units will cost in pts? I mean how much for an ungor? Like 4 pts?

Read Unicorn's post above, and then reread his previous post on the last page. Then you'll know.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

1st reactions from players who try the new book are somehow disappointing. It looks like Beastmans are weak - stronger that before, but overall weak. Many good things (ambush, bestigors...) was removed and nothing really great (overpriced rare monsters...) added.

My personal feelings are not so pesimistic. Personally I love this army (mainly because of the models) and right now, the Beastmans and Dawis are fighting ferocious battle about who will be mine 2nd army after WE ;)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

It's hard for me to comment since I'm not a Beastmen player, but I would rather see a force be given decent tools and work hard to succeed rather than be handed powerhouse tools. I assume these early playtesters are experimenting against a lot of different lists? I imagine there are some competitive armies out there now that Beasts could be quite strong against.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

I think that for current Beast players, the main issue is that to be competitive, they must abandon the "mass herd" fearl army concept which works for them now... What may be the main issue, both modelling-wise, psychical-wise and liking-my-own-army-wise ;)
Painted
Finished
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

unicorn wrote:and nothing really great (overpriced rare monsters...) added.)
Their monsters look cool in my book. Though I'd agree that GW has some rather weird concepts of pricing these (pointswise that is), there seems to be one group of monsters around 300 points like treemen, shaggoth, steam tank, who run some specialized functions, but need backup by troops. And then there are some comparatively underpriced powerhouse monsters like the abomination and hydra that armies can be built upon :p

Besides their three new monsters look awesome. The Ghorgon makes our treeman tarpit look like a puddle of water on asfalt, and is even better at killing an enemy character. The Jabberslythe is one of the most disruptive units in the game - and will wreak havoc on MSU armies. While the Cygor is a fun combination of warmachine and magic protection.

I'm tempted to sell off my WoC to start up the beasts - or at least I'm just tempted to sell off my WoC :p

Merged double post; the 'Edit' button is there for a reason ;) ~ Beithir
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

I really feel in the minority when I say that beasts look really exciting. The beast book isn't just an update of an existing ruleset, but an entirely new army. That's sort of a rough and overly dramatic position, and I feel for beast players who had a miniature range and playstyle that they loved. Still, I don't think they should give up hope that the army won't be playable.

What makes the Ghorgon a tarpit? I haven't heard about any Stubborn/Unbreakable rules.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Tethlis wrote:I really feel in the minority when I say that beasts look really exciting.
Add me into your minority ;)
What makes the Ghorgon a tarpit? I haven't heard about any Stubborn/Unbreakable rules.
Ld 10 stubborn. T6 W6. Tough most probably no saves. Though try to can heal himself with that KB thing (unreliable, but in tarpit version, pretty useful)
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

unicorn wrote:
Tethlis wrote:I really feel in the minority when I say that beasts look really exciting.
Add me into your minority ;)
Me too :smirk:

To be honest, I've been looking forward to Beasts for a while. So far I've seen nothing that's really shaken that excitement, even the new models (some of which I'm not too keen on). While it does sound like Beasts have really changed from their last incarnation, I do not think that those changes are bad by any means. Certainly current Beasts players may feel that the change to their playstyle is unwanted and unwelcome, but then the same could have been said by 5th Edition Beasts players when they went in the opposite direction (i.e. from ranked infantry to skirmishers).
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

The new rules are just that, new rules, unlike the updates to most of the armies the new beastman book is a completely different list that's a far cry from what it used to be.

This doesn't mean it's either good or bad, just different, honestly i can't tell you if i like the changes until I've had a chance to play the list a few times and work out an army that i like with the new list.

However I will likely enjoy the new list and will continue to play beastmen even if they turn out to not be tournament viable....after all it's not like i stopped playing them when the new edition hit and made them suck
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

unicorn wrote: Ld 10 stubborn. T6 W6. Tough most probably no saves. Though try to can heal himself with that KB thing (unreliable, but in tarpit version, pretty useful)
Whoa. Nice. That's very solid.

I'm glad to hear that others are finding appeal in these new rules. I know a few non-Beast players locally who are really finding themselves hooked on the new rules and models, and plan to start up Beasts as a new army. They're quite a contrast from a lot of existing Beast players, who seem to be screaming bloody murder.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

I'm liking the look of them, especially how the bestigors and minotours gain momentum.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Draketh Firewind
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: 40K: Eldar, Space Wolves, Necrons Warhammer: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven

Post by Draketh Firewind »

I raelly hate Games Workshop......I mean the year where I start uni and am going to have to save the money from my very small part time job and they bring out an awesome army like this that I was very interested in in the past when they were considered crap. Gah! <.< I ahte you GW! :wasted:

PS: I actually don't hate them just the circumstances of the release really. :tear:
Mamimi Samejima from FLCL wrote:He who conquers the left side conquers the world chief
Haruko Haruhara from FLCL wrote:It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
Supporter of the Rammie Spirit
Val
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Val »

The beastman army seems very expensive, money wise ... did you check the prices for 3 minotaurs :O The bestigor pack is also insanely expensive and the new doombull is completely over the top.... looks like we'll be paying a lot of money for minis from now on if this is the new GW style ...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Val wrote:The beastman army seems very expensive, money wise ... did you check the prices for 3 minotaurs :O The bestigor pack is also insanely expensive and the new doombull is completely over the top.... looks like we'll be paying a lot of money for minis from now on if this is the new GW style ...
Yeah, it looks like that. It is the some with "new" Empire greatswords. Will be interesting to know how good sales have this overpriced minis..? Especially now, in the "crysis" times
Painted
Finished
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

But then take a look at doing a WoC army. Seems like GW imagined WoC players to be wanting fully ranked regiments of cavalry :)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Brumaz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Brumaz »

The new army looks great. I am excited to hear about how it plays, but so far it sounds really good. Love teh anti-magic side of things too
The $$$ though is just getting ridiculous. GW must be close to killing their market. I am already looking around and buying mini's from other companies when i can find models that suit.
Vahn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Vahn »

Yeah the prices are really getting out of hand even for plastic models...that is really limiting my choice of models, and I almost exclusively buy second hand miniatures now...
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Tethlis. Imagine how we would react if Dryads and Wardancers became ranked units and we get chariots as out new Rares. We would have to relearn our whole play style and the unit balance might obsolete our favourite stuff.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Dinendal
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dinendal »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:Tethlis. Imagine how we would react if Dryads and Wardancers became ranked units and we get chariots as out new Rares. We would have to relearn our whole play style and the unit balance might obsolete our favourite stuff.
If they do this I will stop playing this game I swear it. I already stopped playing 40k because of this kind of cockjob.
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by ivrg »

Its boring that they have removed the skirmish rules and mixed units of gors and ungors. Only ungors can skirmish now.
I dont like the way the minotaurs gain momentum by stacking up attacks and they now also have impact hits as well.
Imagine a gang of minotaurs fighting the undead. A unit of 25 skeletons get charged by a unit of minotaurs. They will stack up alot of attacks before they are done with that unit. It would be ok with one extra attack, but one extra for every win seems to much. Who cares about just 1D6 pursue when you alrdy killed enough of them. I also think the rules that gors can capture standards and get more points for break tests also seem really funny.

"oh my good!!! they took one of our standards and now they are more scary and fight better!!!"

Just silly..

And the minotaur looks like steroid monsters of muscle. They should have toned down the muscle bit and more focused on making them more beastly looking.

And the new gors and ungors doesnt really look better than the old ones. Why even bother making new one?
The pumpa look more like he is undead than a chaos creature. And no trolls or dragon ogres!? They could have added some more flavor to the army.
They removed trolls and dragon ogres and replaced them with pumba!! :confused:

I also really miss marks of chaos, or atl east they could have made some sort of blessing of chaos so you could keep your pestigors and khrongors.

Only thing i think is good with this release is the monster part that is fun.

But overall it could be much better.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

ivrg wrote:Imagine a gang of minotaurs fighting the undead. A unit of 25 skeletons get charged by a unit of minotaurs. They will stack up alot of attacks before they are done with that unit.
Yeah. I can imagine that easily. Minotaurs set up their charge, and then EPICALLY fail their Ld7 to run against fear-causing skellies. And then their done ;)

If I will play vamps against Minos, I will lough out loudly. Invest 4D6 into summonning zombies and enlarging them and block Minos with them. If they will be lucky enough to pass their Ld, they will get stucked. Then, simple Varghulf or any cavalry into their flank and they will break out epically. Who cares that they have 6 S7 attacks each then? ;)
I also think the rules that gors can capture standards and get more points for break tests also seem really funny.
It is not gors. It is Bestigors. And it actually is very funny, for special choice unit as this ;)
Painted
Finished