Greetings all!

If you're new, you might want to introduce yourself. Here's the place!

Moderator: Council of Elders

the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Greetings all!

Post by the_red_Dane »

I'm a stickler for being methodic, so...

1. What is your name?
The_red_Dane

2. Why did you choose this nickname; what does it mean?
It means I am a Dane, and I'm red.

3. How old are you?
late twenties. 27 to be more accurate, birthday is April 5th.

4. Where in the world do you live?
Land of Danes, Denmark.

5. What is your current occupation?
Nothing, but I am looking into starting vocational training as a stonecutter.

6. Would you consider yourself to be naive, artistic and impulsive, or more considerate, analytical and theorizing?
Impulsive, artistic. Kind and considerate.

7. What drew you to Wood Elves?
The aesthetic mostly, I've always been a fan of woodland armies (same reason I play Circle of Oroboros in Hordes)

8. Do you play any other Warhammer fantasy armies?
Skaven, a bit of highelf.

9. Do you have many friends whom you can play?
Yep, a local club along with an active FLGS, AoS has really kickstarted the Warhammer community again.

10. Have you bought any Wood Elf models yet?
Yyyynnnooo... But I've just ordered some Glade Guards, Eternal Guards and Wildriders. (half the EG's are gonna be kitbashed into waywatchers.

11. What type of army would you like? Speed? Shooting? Magic? Monsters?
Speed, shooting and terrain usage. But most I like armies for the looks and not their abilities.

12. Which of the Wood Elf models is your personal favourite?
eeeh, it's more the potential conversions I like that the specific models, the old waywatchers are awesome, but using wildwood ranger parts and bows to make them is just as awesome.

14. What is your favourite unit in the Wood Elven army?
Waywatchers and Wardancers, just oozes with character.

15. What is your favourite unit in the entire range of Warhammer?
The... Screaming Bell for skaven, I just love the model and how much character it has.

16. There are many different seasons to paint Wood Elves in (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter). Have you decided on any, and if so, which?
I'm thinking of doing a deep forest theme, spring/summer'ish, dark greens and what not.

17. On to the community questions. How did you hear about us?
Found you by way of google.

18. Have you seen our LEAF article database thingy? (link on the top right)
Nope, but I will be having a look at it soon.

19. Have you had the time eyeball our Forum Rules & Guidelines yet?
Skimmed them.

20. What do you think of the site so far?
Pretty neat, seems to have interesting folk around, lots of creativity.

21. Do you have any dark secrets to share?
Both Puffin and Whale tastes delicious, and I'm not ashamed of having eaten it.

And I'm pretty sure I once created a lightning storm.

22. Did you notice there was no question #13? :)
The great horned rat is most displeased.

23: Is there something else we should know about you before we start to dissect your personal life?
I don't like to touch sandpaper.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Re: Greetings all!

Post by Cernunnos »

Hail and well met!!! glad to have another person here!! this is a great forum, and you will always find people willing to help, lend advice, grouch at etc... Hope you have a long and happy stay here and I promise, NO ONE here will make you touch sandpaper!!!
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Welcome to the Asrai!
I know whale is good but how do you get puffin? That sounds delicious!
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Last November, I was a few day on Iceland, traveling with my father along with one of his siblings and her husband, and his parents as part of their diamond wedding present. Reykjavik in particular, had whale one evening, very very succulent. Puffin I tried twice, first time it was cold smoked breast meat, but it was not cooked. It was hard to describe, the texture was very special and the taste was amazing, I'm salivating right.

Second time was at the Fish market, which is (as far as I have understood) one of the finest restaurants on all of Iceland, my dad had our table booked longer than our plane ride. It was cooked this time, still very good, but didn't quite have the same taste as the cold smoked puffin. But still, so good. The meat is naturally very dark, not gamey at all and very soft to bite through.

All in all, I'm planning many return trips to Iceland. I remember when we arrived, we had been instructed to pack swimwear in our carry on luggage. Our bus from the Airport took a detour to the Blue Lagoon, where we bathed under the stars, and after that we got to see an Aurora before entering Reykjavik.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I live in Alaska where the native villagers (Eskimo, Inupit, etc) can hunt whatever they want because they live a subsistence lifestyle. They are allowed to hunt whales, but they are the only ones. Here in America, if you want to eat a whale you have to go to the source. We have puffins too, but I've never thought of trying them before. I'll have to check the regulations to see if they are even legal for a white guy to hunt. Usually I settle for the state bird, the ever tasty ptarmigan.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

Wonderful to see another dane here and welcome to wood elves.

and since you almost havent gotten any models yet,
i think i should tell you that i have seen two of the wood elf battalion sets on DBA.dk within the last week.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Yeah, I had a look at DBA, one guy had a massive army of Wood elves for sale for like... 650dkk. I contacted him, he told me I was 30 minutes to late with my offer. ;_; Right now I'm hunting for bits mostly.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:I live in Alaska where the native villagers (Eskimo, Inupit, etc) can hunt whatever they want because they live a subsistence lifestyle. They are allowed to hunt whales, but they are the only ones. Here in America, if you want to eat a whale you have to go to the source. We have puffins too, but I've never thought of trying them before. I'll have to check the regulations to see if they are even legal for a white guy to hunt. Usually I settle for the state bird, the ever tasty ptarmigan.

That's pretty cool, Iceland has permission to hunt a few Minke whales a year... OH! I also tried Hakárl. Incase people haven't heard about this "lovely" dish:

The north atlantic shark is quite poisonous. But worry not! The Icelandic people, out of sheer boredom or abject insanity found a way to make it "edible", this includes burying the shark on a gravel beach for a few months, waiting for it to rot, since that will break down the poison in the flesh into ammonia. Then the shark is dug back up and taken to the farmstead that is producing it (farmsteads that are required by law to be at least 20 miles away from any other sort of home), the shark is cut into rather large chunks which are hung in an open barn, where it air dries for several more weeks (or months), finally it is cut into small pieces and packaged, then that package is packaged again, and THAT package is put into another package, the whole thing still stinks.

Hakárl is eaten as is, washed down with strong alcohol. The taste is a strange mixture of... really REALLY strong old cheese, ammonia and fish, the texture is very tough and ever so slightly reminiscent of sandpaper.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

Which bits are you looking for?
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

Right now, I'm not looking for any bits in particular, not until I have something to work with.