New player: can someone explain The end of time?

If you're new, you might want to introduce yourself. Here's the place!

Moderator: Council of Elders

RichyC91
Newcomer
Newcomer

New player: can someone explain The end of time?

Post by RichyC91 »

Hi There,

I'm completly new to Warhammer, been collecting for 2 weeks now.

I have been looking around the forum and reading about all the changes in the 9th edition, as well as the end of time segment could have on Wood Elves.

As a new player I have missed editions 1-7 and other than seeing these segments for sale on the website, I don't know a lot about them.

Could someone do me a wonderful favour and give me a brief outline of what is going on?

Do GW do a story which regards all armies and depending how the story goes affects the production of certain armies and their models?

Cheers.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: New player: can someone explain The end of time?

Post by frogboy »

Hello and welcome, first thing to acknowledge about this hobby is that it is run by a business that wants you, wants your money and continually changes rules and models in an atempt to take more shinny coins and stuff their treasure chests till they overspill. Basically End Times is this but with a twist, it could be the end of Warhammer or the start of a completly new edition, what a cliff hanger eh ! Keeping us guessing and still trying to comand respect from our pears on the tabletop battlefield by dominating with more and more massive plastic toys with new trump rules which out power the last.

You won't need any of the old stuff so it's time to make a decision, either jump in with both feet and get carried in the current of GWs blissful ignorance buying every new thing they release every month without fail (be prepared to stay up into the long hours of the night while you try to speed read another rule book and revise what changes this makes to your current army whilst you frantically try to speed paint another new toy, you will need more brushes after this and glue) or.....

RUN !!!
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
RichyC91
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RichyC91 »

I knew when I started this wasn't going to be a cheap hobby, already about £200 down. I just about have the basic paints and models for a small 500 point battle.

In regards to we could be entering something new and "I won't need any of the old stuff", is it better to stick to the models which look like they are recent releases. Such as Dryads & Treemen and avoid Waywatchers & Treekin models which look like they were from previous editions. Or is it better to simply stop buying new models at the moment wait for the release and see what happens?

Cheers for the summary
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I don't know dude, wasting money is what this hobby is all about. Sorry not too helpful I know but inevitably you will "need" something for your army and at the next release, weather that's your army book a different one your opponent plays or a new edition etc, it will become obsolete.

After a while you just kind of fade away into the background still believing you can use your old useless models while all your mates will be playing ancients or WW2 stuff.

Oh dear this sounds so depressing, of course you will only need all the new stuff every month if your playing in tournaments. If your just playing friendly games with a bunch of mates then it will only become a problem when one of them buys a new all powerful toy which you will obviously need to counter with an equally impressive new peice.

Personally I would buy stuff second hand or on eBay etc. Enevitably this money goes back to GW so don't feal guilty that your your letting your new overlords down, they have very enticing new releases every month to catch unsuspecting band wagoners like a fly in a trap.

It's probably better to get some advise from sombody else at this point, don't get me wrong I love the hobby and have been adicted for years, but someone as new as you are it's easy to get caught up in the hype and spend rediculous amounts. I mean we can't eat plastic and metal now can we...

"Nom nom nom arrgh my gums are bleeding" :cry:
RichyC91
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RichyC91 »

Haha, I have enjoyed your responses. While not advising what I should do I have still found your insights useful and well, fun to read. Particularly enjoyed the part about
frogboy wrote:don't feal guilty that your your letting your new overlords down
:)

I won't be spending an excessive amount as I have just brought a house, but at the same time don't want to waste to much money. As I'm just going to be playing with friends I'm sure we can incorporate some old characters into the new rules somehow :)

Appreciate your comments.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Excellent! May your house be a happy one :D :thumbsup:

It's great playing with friends as you can as you have said, incorporate what ever you like really, change the rules a little so they work better and your overall experience of the game should be better.

Have fun, oh and now I have your attention check out our seasonal painting challenges http://www.asrai.org/viewforum.php?f=32 (shameless plug) maybe we can incourage you to paint something...

frogboy :D :thumbsup:
RichyC91
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RichyC91 »

Nicely Done :)

I'm completly new to painting but I'll put something up, just painting Glade Guard and Dryads currently. Autumn themed I'm afraid so not for this current comp, but I'll be ready for the next one :)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I think archers and spearmen can always be used (at the very least as proxies) in the next edition. Considering dryads are not very good now and if all elves go together they might disappear from the lists I'd hold off on buying those myself. I think the treeman is a money maker for GW (could be wrong) so I hope it's going to stay, it's a beautifull and new model.. so I think chances of it staying are good.