New to WHFB

If you're new, you might want to introduce yourself. Here's the place!

Moderator: Council of Elders

exsanguis
Newcomer
Newcomer

New to WHFB

Post by exsanguis »

Hey guys,

I originally got into Warhammer through WHFB many (~20!) years ago, and promptly got whisked away to 40k by my gaming group. Having grown stale of Space Marine vs Space Marine action of the ensuing decades, I've been tempted to get back into WHFB and have been struggling to decide on an army! I've been from Ogres to Dwarves, then to Dark Elves (my first ever army), then to Warriors of Chaos and now to Wood Elves. I'm now torn between WoC and WE...and I need your help!

I will be starting small, at around 1k points, and really enjoy the following WE models:
* Eternal Guard
* Treeman/Ancient/Durthu
* Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn

Eventually I want to include a Lord on a Forest Dragon because, well, why not? My main concern after lurking on here for a few days is that MSU Glade Guard seem to be the go-to for Wood Elves. Whilst I like the models, and the play style DOES sound fun, I really enjoy the look of the Eternal Guard. The rough list I've drawn up in my head for ~1k is:
Spellsinger - maybe Lore of Beasts or Death, depending on where she goes?
20x Eternal Guard - is this to much for 1k points?
10x Glade Guard - Trueflight?
5x Sisters of the Thorn - Assuming the Spellsinger goes here, what lore would she use?
Treeman -Strangleroots

I also want to include some Bolt Throwers and maybe a Phoenix from the High Elf book as well (obviously using ET: Khaine), but they can come later.

Is it feasible to build a list around what I mentioned above? Do I need more Glade Guard, less Eternal Guard, and maybe Deepwood Scouts or Waywatchers? I think it is also fair to point out that I much prefer combat to shooting (having grown tired of the ranged spam that is 40k), and am certainly not a WAAC player by any means.

Thanks very much and I look forward to reading your C&C!
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: New to WHFB

Post by Blackcat »

First of all choosing WE's is the right choice :sexy: we have an awesome army with awesome models and our player base is the best!

It seems like a pretty decent list you have planned. I would probably run wild riders instead of sisters of thorn at 1000pts though just because they hit like a ton of bricks on the charge but that is just personnal opinion.
I am a huge fan of lore of shadows for my wood elves at the moment, it seems to be the most popular as well because of what you can do with it and it coincides with our playstyle very well. Lore of death would work for close range killing if you put your mage in the unit of sisters of thorn so if that is your plan then go for it.
Your glade guard cant go wrong with either true flight or hagbane tips, so choose either.

I love eternal guard, I have been runnning big blocks of them in all of my lists so I definitely would recommend taking them. Because you are planning on having both a unit of eternal guard and a treeman you can set up some nice counter charges and really put the hurt on.

Wood elves are surprisingly strong in combat but just make sure you hit enemy units with multiple units of your own to crush them completely.

Welcome to the forest!
paralee
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New to WHFB

Post by paralee »

Welcome to the forest

I came to welves 1 month ago and have few games and loved everyone of them so choose WE instead of WoC.