New to the forum

If you're new, you might want to introduce yourself. Here's the place!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Old Gamer
Newcomer
Newcomer

New to the forum

Post by Old Gamer »

Hi fellow Wood Elvers. I just started building my Wood Elf army recently and have accumulated about 2500 points worth of core units now. I now answer your questions:

1. What is your name? Erik Chase
2. Why did you choose this nickname; what does it mean? Compared to my gaming group, I am one of the oldest.
3. How old are you? 42
4. Where in the world do you live? Alamogordo, NM USA
5. What is your current occupation? Probation Officer
6. Would you consider yourself to be naive, artistic and impulsive, or more considerable, analytical and theorising? The third. It helps in the job.
7. What drew you to Wood Elves? No one else was playing them.
8. Do you play any other Warhammer fantasy armies? Have played Dark Elves but not bought any
9. Do you have many friends whom you can play? 5 or 6
10. Have you bought any Wood Elf models yet? several- mostly core
11. What type of army would you like? Speed? Shooting? Magic? Monsters? combination
12. Which of the Wood Elf models is your personal favourite? Warhawk Riders
14. What is your favourite unit in the Wood Elven army? Treeman- Love that Strangleroot attack
15. What is your favourite unit in the entire range of Warhammer? Dark Elf Witches
16. There are many different seasons to paint Wood Elves in (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter). Have you decided on any, and if so, which? Year round
17. On to the community questions. How did you hear about us? Google
18. Have you seen our LEAF article database thingy? (link to the top right) (now back up and running as of Jan 1st) Not yet
19. Have you had the time eyeball our Forum Rules & Guidelines yet? yes
20. What do you think of the site so far? interesting
21. Do you have any dark secrets to share? Also do historical gaming
22. Did you notice there was no question #13? Yes- not happy about that. It's my lucky number
23: Is there something else we should know about you before we start to dissect your personal life? No
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: New to the forum

Post by Beithir Seun »

Welcome to the site Old Gamer!

What sort(s) of historical gaming do you do? Do you have a favourite period?
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Old Gamer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Old Gamer »

By period and rules:
WWII (Flames of War)
Napoleonics (Napoleon's Battles)
Thirty Years War (Father Tilly)
Ancients (DBA)
AWI (Sons of Liberty)

Favorite period: Napoleonics- the uniforms are killer.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

A nice variety there :)

Napoleonics is my favourite period as well. What armies do you have? I've got a ton of 15mm French to paint, as well as a load of 25mm British. My gaming group also use FoW figures for WWII, but we've based the figures individually so that we can use other rulesets. The FoW rules are far too tank-orientated for our liking...
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Welcome to the Forest Old Gamer. A great collection of armies there.

I have no really favorite period, but I prefer SYW over the Napoleonic period. My main 'Napoleonic' army is actually a Wellesley in India army and, although a little out of the period, a 1st Sikh War army.

Beithir. I was involved in early FoW and also co-authored a set of WWII rules called Crossfire, published here in the USA, although not in general use. In our game-testing, the main cry of 'traditional' WWII wargamers was 'I don't have enough infantry!'

The game operates at the battlegroup level, rather than the individual vehicle/soldier level and plays like a boardgame with miniatures. Over my life, I have developed several sets of rules for different periods. This is my best (although the others are pretty good too). FoW models work fine for it, as does micro-armour. (End of plug.)
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Old Gamer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Old Gamer »

Armies for Napoleonics? I think it would be easier to ask what don't I have. They are all 20mm plastic and in various stages of completion (painting)

1808-1812 French
1809-1815 Austrian
1812+ Russian
1815 British
1806 Prussian
1813+ Prussian
1809+ Confederation
1815 Minor Allied for Waterloo (most)
Bavarian

Basically I have enough to do Waterloo, Wagram, Borodino (almost) or Liepzig (in bits). Liepzig is the big one, for the full battle with my rules you need 4 ping pong tables and about 5000 figures. I can do the battle if you do it table by table. Last count my collection had about 2500 give or take.
Nyarlath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Dark Elves

Post by Nyarlath »

Thats pretty amazing! Would be awesome to see some pics! :)
Warriors are like Lemmings!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

That's an extremely extensive collection!