1999 Wood Elf army

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

1999 Wood Elf army

Post by unicorn »

I am prepearing some universal army list for some friendly competition for next week, and I wish to test Treeman during it, because I never use him before. My opponents are much more skilled that I am and they will play to win, but not at all cost :ninja: . What do you think about following list?

1 Branchwraith
- General; Magic Level 1
- Cluster of Radiants [

1 Noble
- Light Armour; Battle Standard
- Asyendi's Bane
- Hail of Doom Arrow

1 Spellsinger
- Magic Level 2; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
- Dispel Scroll

1 Spellsinger
- Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
- Dispel Scroll
- Calaingor's Stave

10 Glade Guard
- Longbow; Musician
10 Glade Guard
- Longbow; Musician
10 Glade Guard
- Longbow; Musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
7 Wardancers

- Wardancer Weapons; Musician
6 Wild Riders
- Spear; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
- 6 Elf Steed

6 Wild Riders
- Spear; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
- 6 Elf Steed

1 Treeman

* Casting Pool: 6
* Dispel Pool: 6
* Models in Army: 78
* Total Army Cost: 1994

What do you think about this? I cannot use Eagel, so maybe Warhawk Riders instead of one unit of Wild Riders..? Dunno what else to against war machines and to slow down enemys flanks.
Last edited by unicorn on 26 Oct 2007, 09:47, edited 2 times in total.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
David L
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: 1999 Wood Elf army

Post by David L »

If this is a 1999 pt list, you have too many characters.
matthew_swifty
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood elves, Eldar, Bretonnians

Post by matthew_swifty »

Don't post individual points values or Games Workshop will get cross :nod:

Why the stave on the level 1 when it would work better on the level two?
Im going to read the rest of this in a salt mine, while eating salt.
Ramesesis wrote:None of that sissy picking what mini that suits my purposes for each game wankering stuff! NO!!!
I worship Jesus at the pub. Thats why i'm filled with the spirit.
Ninza
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Fantasy: O&G, VC, WE, LM, Dwarfs, chaos, 40K:Marines

Post by Ninza »

That re-roll bow isn't good enough, because you have BS6 so you can drop it and buy something better!
matthew_swifty
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood elves, Eldar, Bretonnians

Post by matthew_swifty »

The whole point of taking Asyendi's bane is to be able to use the HoDA because they lose their basic longbow, Ninza.
Im going to read the rest of this in a salt mine, while eating salt.
Ramesesis wrote:None of that sissy picking what mini that suits my purposes for each game wankering stuff! NO!!!
I worship Jesus at the pub. Thats why i'm filled with the spirit.
Ninza
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Fantasy: O&G, VC, WE, LM, Dwarfs, chaos, 40K:Marines

Post by Ninza »

I remembered that if character isn't allowed to take a longbow then it can't take magical longbow either, but that rule was only for armours. My deepest apologies!
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

As has been said, you can't post the individual point cost of items because it breaks our copyright with GW.

May I suggest using less formatting and more white space. It makes your armylist easier to read.
unicorn wrote: Branchwraith
- General; Magic Level 1
- Cluster of Radiants
--Good.

Noble
- Light Armour; Battle Standard
- Asyendi's Bane
- Hail of Doom Arrow
--Very good.

Spellsinger
- Magic Level 2; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
- Dispel Scroll
--Fine.

Spellsinger
- Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
- Dispel Scroll
- Calaingor's Stave
--Put Calaingor's Stave on the Lv 2 Singer. It's a waste of a potential cast here.

3x10 Glade Guard
-Musician in each
--Good. Drop the Muso if you need pts.

8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
--All fine, drop a squad if you need pts.

7 Wardancers
-Musician
--Good.

6 Wild Riders
- Standard; Musician
--Good.

6 Wild Riders
-Standard; Musician
--Good.

Treeman
--Good.
The list looks ok. Put the Warbanner on one unit of Wild Riders. Glade Riders also do a great job of march blocking and harassing besides Eagles. Drop a unit of Glade Guard and pick up a squad of 5 Glade Riders.

You do have 1 character too many for these pts. I'd consider dropping the BSB since he doesn't seem to have much role in the army.

As a further formatting note, we know that the Wild Riders all ride Elven Steeds, Glade Guard have longbows, Wardancers wield Wardancer Weapons, etc....
Last edited by Hyarion on 28 Oct 2007, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Thanx for all advices. And I dunno how I come with idea to use 4 characters for game under 2k :crazy:

I consider to take BSB to cover Treeman's stubbron Ld8 for case I will fail to support him enough in combat and so he will loose. Plus HoDA, which I love absolutelly :D That's all my plans for him. If you think he's usseless, I will skip it. But what to do with HoDA now? Mabe one Spellsinger can use it now?

Ah and sorry about that formating, and especially for that points values. I will never do it again :cry:

So, my new, adjust list looks like this:

Branchwraith (will join Dryad unit)
- General; Magic Level 1
* Cluster of Radiants

Spellsinger (will join Wardancers, or more probably some Glade Guards)
- Magic Level 2
* Dispel Scroll; Calaingor's Stave

Spellsinger (will join Glade Riders)
- Magic Level 2; Elf Steed
* Hail of Doom Arrow

3x10 Glade Guard

2x8 Dryads

8 Wardancers
- Musician

6 Glade Riders
- Musician

6 Wild Riders
- Standard
* War Banner

6 Wild Riders
- Standard

1 Treeman

Casting Pool: 7
Dispel Pool: 6

I am still not completly sure about dropping BSB; but I will play Treeman for my first time, so maybe I am scared too much :paranoid: And take him as exchange for 1 cast + 2 dispel dices (Branchwraight) or for 2 cast + 1 dispell dice (Spellsinger) does not seem to be too useful too.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Looks better, with all the Wild Riders and Dryads you have, you shouldn't ever be stranding the Treeman on his own so often that you'll need the BSB.

Drop the HoDA Singer and get a Standard Alter (Noble, Alter Kindred, HotH, HoDA, LA, Sh, GW).

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Hyarion wrote:Looks better, with all the Wild Riders and Dryads you have, you shouldn't ever be stranding the Treeman on his own so often that you'll need the BSB.
OK, that sounds good.
Hyarion wrote:Drop the HoDA Singer and get a Standard Alter (Noble, Alter Kindred, HotH, HoDA, LA, Sh, GW).
Hmm, that will mean 2 PD and 1 DD less in my army..? Will that be OK? I am not sure about who will come, but I think minimally one TK army will be there, and maybe more magic-strong armies will come. And again - I am afraid about my Treeman. Will I be able to protect and surf him enough with 5 both PD and DD (+1 bound spell)?
Painted
Finished
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Flat out, you won't be able to shut down a TK magic phase unless he only has 1 or 2 spell casters. You just won't be able to do it. That's the bad news. The good news, however, is that you don't have to shut it down in order to do well. Stop the important stuff (like getting your Wardancers charged) or something similar and let the rest slide. Use your mage hunting abilities to take out his spellcasters to equalize the odds.

The same holds true for any magic defense. It's not about shutting down your opponent (although when that happens, it's nice) it's about strategically allowing spells to go off and stopping the ones that prevent you from running your game plan.

As for magic offense, Treesinging is nice, but it's a nice addition, not a necessity for winning. You'll be fine.
Last edited by Hyarion on 28 Oct 2007, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

David L
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by David L »

TK without a lord have a MUCH weaker magic phase. 5d6 casting total and their general can only affect his own unit. Plus no Undying skeletons (not that Undying TG are squishy).

If you truly want mass treesinging, you'll need the second spellsinger. I'm not convinced mass treesinging will be that effective here, but I've never personally witnessed lots and lots of treesinging.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

David L wrote:TK without a lord have a MUCH weaker magic phase. 5d6 casting total and their general can only affect his own unit. Plus no Undying skeletons (not that Undying TG are squishy).

If you truly want mass treesinging, you'll need the second spellsinger. I'm not convinced mass treesinging will be that effective here, but I've never personally witnessed lots and lots of treesinging.
It is not about mass treesinging for me, it is about
a) succesfull treesurf (with 5PD + 1 bound spell it means average 3,5 treesinging per turn, which is easily dispelable
b) using other spells, which will make him not dispelling TS or eating this other stuff

BTW according to our terrain rules, I have 2 woods on the table for sure. Not less, but just extremly rarely more. With mass treesinging, 2 mooving woods are nice :D

So maybe I will change Branchwraight for that Alter? Ie Alter + 2xlvl2 mage?

BTW Yesterday I think about some strategies and... Is it possible to rotate the wood with treesinging?
Painted
Finished
Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

unicorn wrote: Is it possible to rotate the wood with treesinging?
This is actually something I've also wondered about for a long time, but decided for myself that I can't. Was going to start a thread asking about it, but I'm more than happy for Unicorn to threadjack his own thread and get an answer! :D
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Gropah wrote:
unicorn wrote: Is it possible to rotate the wood with treesinging?
This is actually something I've also wondered about for a long time, but decided for myself that I can't. Was going to start a thread asking about it, but I'm more than happy for Unicorn to threadjack his own thread and get an answer! :D
I will make a thread about this in rules section. I though it is something common for other WE players :D
Painted
Finished
StraightCurve
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by StraightCurve »

Hi there just read some higher up.
And i see you are about to do the same mistake i did very long time.
Dont be scared on the treemans behalf.
He exists in our army that he can take a good beating!
And he can believe me. Very much more then you ever should think.

Two things you though have to guard him from are cannons, and these persky st+ burning dwarf bolters. Let him party in the woods until they have been taken out, else dont fear having him running about in the open.

It took long time for me to figure that, and still se very many WE players that are way to scared for their tree.
The bad side of that is that in the end he will not really be able to do anything except dodging around.

With two WR units as you field it, you basically can let him run wherever on the field, securing that side charge with at least one of your WRs to everything that gets stuck with him.
So yes he is not that good alone. But he is the anvil. And if you are clever enough to scare or talk your opponent into using his bows or xbows on him, then laugh silently (only on the inside though)
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

The general consensus is that you can't rotate the forests, you can only move them in straight lines.

It would, however, be nice if this got an official answer.

Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

Hyarion wrote:The general consensus is that you can't rotate the forests, you can only move them in straight lines.

It would, however, be nice if this got an official answer.
This question was never submitted by Nag to GW, was it?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I don't believe it was. However there is another thread currently going on about this topic and you can find a better discussion of it there.

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

At tuesday, I will fight finnaly at 1,999 pts (that gathering I was prepearing this list for was played at 1k only at the end) and I made some small adjustmenst in this. What do you think about it now?
I will fight Empire army, most probably infantry one; but I don't like using anti- armies in friendly battles, so I plan to use this universal list.

Branchwraith @ 165 Pts
+ General; Magic Level 1; Cluster of Radiants; Murder of Spites

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
+ Magic Level 2; Dispel Scroll; Calaingor's Stave

Standard Alter Noble @ 158 Pts

10 Glade Guard + Musician @ 126 Pts

10 Glade Guard + Musician @ 126 Pts

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

8 Wardancers + Musician @ 151 Pts

6 Glade Riders + Musician @ 153 Pts

6 Wild Riders + Standard (War Banner) @ 199 Pts

5 Wild Riders + Standard @ 148 Pts

Treeman @ 285 Pts

Casting Pool: 5 + 1 boud singer
Dispel Pool: 5

Spellsinger will run around probably with wardancers; With Branchie I have good experience runing her around on their own for positioning and occasionally gather with any Dryads or WR units. But I am not sure about Murder of Spites she wears..?
Painted
Finished
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Here's the only change I would make.

Make the Spellsinger the general and give the Branchwraith Annoyance instead of Murder. This will let you handle any tooled up heros or such somewhat safely without giving up the VPs for the general. I successfully held up a block of 12 Knights with a Warbanner and Kurt Helborg just by doing this and negating his great combat potential.

unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Hyarion wrote:Here's the only change I would make.

Make the Spellsinger the general and give the Branchwraith Annoyance instead of Murder. This will let you handle any tooled up heros or such somewhat safely without giving up the VPs for the general. I successfully held up a block of 12 Knights with a Warbanner and Kurt Helborg just by doing this and negating his great combat potential.
Sounds good, thanx for the tip. I will try it.
Painted
Finished
Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

unicorn wrote: Spellsinger will run around probably with wardancers.
This is something I've also tried lately, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but when the WD charge she of course goes with them;
- if the WD makes contact she must then be placed in BtB with the enemy?
- if she doesn't have the move to make it into BtB then I'm allowed to let her lurk?

If my assumption/interpretation is correct, doesn't her presence nerf the WD's combat potential?
Hyarion wrote: I successfully held up a block of 12 Knights with a Warbanner and Kurt Helborg [with a Branchy and Netlings], negating his great combat potential.
Would'nt you be losing that fight with at least 2-3 every round?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Gropah wrote:
unicorn wrote: Spellsinger will run around probably with wardancers.
This is something I've also tried lately, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but when the WD charge she of course goes with them;
- if the WD makes contact she must then be placed in BtB with the enemy?
- if she doesn't have the move to make it into BtB then I'm allowed to let her lurk?

If my assumption/interpretation is correct, doesn't her presence nerf the WD's combat potential?
I usually move chars in/out of units very often. U am using WD because of teir MR as cover, but in case of planned charge, I leave this unit. And if, at the end, I will stay there with my magica, it is waste - but not as big as let her to be catched in some GG unit :D
Painted
Finished