The Sacred Sentinels v.1.3a

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Vanadja - The Forest Mistress Model
Wardancer Kindred, Swords of Loec, Glamourweave, A Pageant of Shrikes
285 Points

Phariaru - The Spellsinger Model
Magic Level 1, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
145 Points

Raniehl - Branch Wraith Model
Magic Level 1, A Cluster of Radiants, A Pageant of Shrikes
165 Points

Illathar - The Watcher of Ways Model
Waywatcher Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow
135 Points

10 Glade Guards Models
Musician
126 Points

5 Glade Riders Models
Musician
129 Points

10 Dryads Models
120 Points

10 Dryads Models
120 Points

16 Eternal Guards Models
Full Command Group, War Banner
247 Points

9 Wardancers Models
Champion, Musician
176 Points

6 Wild Riders Models
Champion, Musician
174 Points

5 Waywatchers Models
Champion
128 Points

Great Eagle Model
50 Points

TOTAL: 2ooo Points

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
Last edited by Naggie on 30 Jul 2005, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
GladeRider
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GladeRider »

Nice list, What were your basic tactics for the list going to be? I can see you having the GladeRiders bait the enemy then smash into the sides with the wild riders.I played 2 games so far and the wardancers Kick some serious but. You have good magic defense, but this list is in trouble aganist hoards(but which Woodies arent?

~GR
" The Spellweavers sealed there fate but closing there retreat in a line of trees, cut down one by one by the arrows of the asrai kin"

"None can resist the call of the Wild Hunt"
Wolf Fang
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Wolf Fang »

Nice list, I guess you're going for a CC orientated list, but I might be wrong here. I you are, then you might consider putting in some Treekin.
The dead are waking. Join them now.
Carpe Noctem: For all VC discussions.
Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

I'm curious to see how the branchwraith will be doing. Putting it into hth might almost be a waste as it generates extra dispel dice (2? with pageant) and has a 18" range attack. Or do you plan to use it just for that?

And isn't the stone of Crystal Mere (spelling?) for the same cost better? Although I'm not sure, as I'm taking this information from Lestat's post in Battle Glade. I hope you have enough wood to play with the moonstone of hidden ways :). Should be fun.

Nothing to add to your scroll caddie.

Now the waywatcher hero should be fun, with 4 attacks in hth. And lethal shot when not using HoDA. Do you plan to use the waywatchers on killing mages too? Warmachines and light units should be their first target of course.

I guess you want to lure your enemy with dryads, glade guard and especially eternal guard. How good with the latter unit be without being stubborn though? I'd take for those points another glade guard and a dryad unit. Maybe reducing the other dryads to 8 with the change.

The list certainly has potential and will be fun to play. And good luck if you're enemy is fielding heavy magic. Good luck with the mage hunt :).
Last edited by Arthion on 30 Jul 2005, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Notice the slight changes from v.1.2a to v.1.3a

The Wild Riders will hunt around the flanks (thanks to their survivability, they're pretty good for this) whilst my Way Watchers with Character hits the enemy from behind. My Dryads will try to charge, and my Branch Wraith will join one of them to help out. War Dancers will be a pain in the side/rear, and the Eternal Guards will simply be the main block that can take a charge.

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
GladeRider
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GladeRider »

I'd say keep the archers along side the Eternal Guard to flank the enemy the next turn, so its easier to win combat, the Wild hunt are nasty, put them in the right spot at the right time it could bulldoze threw an enemy flank.
" The Spellweavers sealed there fate but closing there retreat in a line of trees, cut down one by one by the arrows of the asrai kin"

Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

The problem is, can it really take a charge even with warbanner? I don't think the waywatchers need the support of a character, but the eternal guard really does.
GladeRider
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GladeRider »

Just to make them stubborn? there already a pretty good block of spearmen, better then both the HE and DE spear elves..It is a bonus beingt stubborn with the chareter though..

Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I will of course lure, bait and deceive the enemy until I can get the charge with my Eternal Guards. But if the situation arises, I want them to be prepared to take a charge on their own. +3 for ranks, +1 for banner, +1 for War banner, and possibly +1 for outnumber will help me a long way. Besides, these guys can really give a punch. 13 attacks if they do not charge (or get killed :)). I think they're fine. Besides, I might charge with War dancers first and then swoop in with Eternal Guards to get rid of the enemy unit. Or I'd use the Glade Riders to engage one of two enemy units and only get charged by one. It all depends on the situation, but I think I have it covered.

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

Well I can only hope it works. Common spearelves with Warbanner are known to break facing a Bretonnian charge i.e. And I don't think Eternal Guard is much better if facing the same enemy. But I could be wrong.

What about placing the Eternal Guard like Witch Elves or Swordmasters? 5-7 in a row. It certainly would be good against other infantry units, but bad against cavalry.
GladeRider
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GladeRider »

Like what GW did in the last WD, 8 guys times 3 ranks, maximize there combat prowess.

~GR

Wolf Fang
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Wolf Fang »

Ouch, that's got to hurt. That's 25 attacks!!! That should just kill about any front rank. Bring on the Chaos Warriors (not the chosen ones).

About the unit breaking, I wouldn't worrie (sp?) about that to much. Stubborn at Ld 9 is nothing to sneeze at.

Post edited by Nagathi
The dead are waking. Join them now.
Carpe Noctem: For all VC discussions.
Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

They ain't stubborn without a Character in it. And till now there isn't one supporting the unit.

And for that many attacks you have to get into cc with every model. Not very likely to happen most of the times. Unless you get charged by two units. But then the cr could be even worse.
Andruillius

Post by Andruillius »

Unless it's there for fluff purposes, I'd consider dropping the Waywatcher noble. Get an Alter Kindred Noble with Great Weapon,Light Armour,Shield, Helm of the Hunt and HoDA instead, much, much nastier.

You can't have two of the same Sprites. You'll have to drop one of the Pageants of Shrikes, making your chance of killing those wizards early less than worth it, IMHO. Plus, what's the point of giving a ranged weapon to a character who should be doing marching(or, if you want, double move)&charging?
I'd rather give the Wardancer Highborn the Annoyance of Netlings instead, ensuring she can take on almost any character you should face.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: The Sacred Sentinels v.1.3a

Post by Naggie »

The Sacred Sentinels v.1.3.1a

Vanadja - The Forest Mistress Model
Wardancer Kindred, Swords of Loec, Glamourweave, An Annoyance of Netlings
285 Points

Phariaru - The Spellsinger Model
Magic Level 1, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
145 Points

Raniehl - Branch Wraith Model
Magic Level 1, A Cluster of Radiants, A Pageant of Shrikes
165 Points

Illathar - The Watcher of Ways Model
Waywatcher Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow
135 Points

10 Glade Guards Models
Musician
126 Points

5 Glade Riders Models
Musician
129 Points

10 Dryads Models
120 Points

10 Dryads Models
120 Points

16 Eternal Guards Models
Full Command Group, War Banner
247 Points

9 Wardancers Models
Champion, Musician
176 Points

6 Wild Riders Models
Champion, Musician
174 Points

5 Waywatchers Models
Champion
128 Points

Great Eagle Model
50 Points

TOTAL: 2ooo Points

Changed the 2x Shrieks Sprites issue.

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
GladeRider
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by GladeRider »

Your sure you can take pagent of shrikes twice? I thought I per army with sprites?even though that is a powerful item/sprite, i mean Mage killer, which Woodies need to do ,(i got thrashed by magic HE)

DruchiiSlayer
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DruchiiSlayer »

GladeRider wrote:Your sure you can take pagent of shrikes twice? I thought I per army with sprites?even though that is a powerful item/sprite, i mean Mage killer, which Woodies need to do ,(i got thrashed by magic HE)
Indeed. Spites are 1 type per army, and 1 per model unless that model is a forest spirit IIRC.
Lethalis is funny (and so is Darmort) :)
http://www.asur.org
Thrask
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Skaven, Druchii and 40k Chaos.

Post by Thrask »

Nice armylist it's quite similar to what I'm gonna take.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I am currently trying to write up some fluff for this army as well. I'm glad most people like it.
I am a bit concerned about the Wild Riders. They don't fit in very fluffily. Any ideas on what to change them to?

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
Arthion
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Arthion »

Why not? If you have a place for Eternal Guard, the Wild Hunt fits in there too. They are actually two units which are consacrated to the same. Only in different functions and maybe seasons :).
I wouldn't take them away, you will need them.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Eternal Guards are the guardians of the forest, all-year round. Wild Riders are Orion's company on the Wild Hunt. I'm thinking of removing them, but I don't know what to add..

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
Andruillius

Post by Andruillius »

You're gonna need something else fast to give the opponent more targets to keep your Great Eagle alive, so I'd swap the Wild Riders for a unit of 4 Warhawk Riders if you don't want'em. With 4 you're fairly sure to have some alive when you get to the warmachines and you can lose one and still have over US5.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I have a policy. I won't use models I don't like. However, if I remove my Wild Riders (which seems very close now) and the War Banner, I can either afford a musician on my Archers and 3 Treekin, or 3 Warhawk Riders (one champ), two more dryads and still have 35 points to spend.

Nagathi
The Daemonwhisperer
Andruillius

Post by Andruillius »

I'd go for the Warhawk Riders then as I don't think your Eagle will survive long alone, even if you keep him away from enemy shooters.

I think you should keep the Warbanner, too. When they're not Stubborn you're gonna need the extra CR, and you'll have an advantage against other infantry blocks.
Thrask
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Skaven, Druchii and 40k Chaos.

Post by Thrask »

All the better if he focuses his fire on you're GE it'll keep you're more expensive units safe like you're wildriders.
2 WR are more expensive than 1 eagle and they each take 2 wounds to get killed.