2600 etc list - first WE army

Moderator: Council of Elders

radbug
Newcomer
Newcomer

2600 etc list - first WE army

Post by radbug »

High all,

I am new here and need some advice. I am pondering to play Wood elves at a tourny coming up using the etc restrictions. What do you Think of the following:

Spellweaver, lvl4, rhymers harp, ironcure icon
Spellweaver, lvl 4, dvination orb, obsidian loadstone
Noble, BsB, asyendis bane, HoDA
Nobel, spear of twilight, helm of the hunt, great eagle, Light armour,

20 Glade guards, standard, musician, banner of eternal flame
10 Glade guards, musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

6 Wardancers, muscician
6 Wardancers, muscician
3 Warhawk riders
3 Warhawk riders
3 Warhawk riders

Great eagle
Great eagle
5 Waywatchers
5 Waywatchers

Can it work, or is there not enough shooting to stop things from reaching me (I do not have acces to more atchers)?

Thanks for the help
/R
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: 2600 etc list - first WE army

Post by Drstrangelove »

40 GG is a decent amount of shooting, so I wouldn't be too concerned there.
It doesn't seem to take very good advantage of the ETC ruleset for WE though. No wild riders, no treekin, no treemen.
Why all the warhawks? They are pretty underwhelming, esp when you already have way watchers to deal with war machines.
What lore are you using for your two weavers? Need to pick it when you create the list. Metal and shadow would be my picks.

Overall it lacks punch. Not enough shooting to get rid of everything at range, and the only combat troops are little more than redirectors (wardancers can be useful for character hunting out of units, but other than that they are in the same boat as dryads).

What other models do you have access to?
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
JAMOB
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Other than Wood Elves, lots of Blood Angels and a bit of IG, Eldar and Orcs.

Post by JAMOB »

Agreed, not nearly enough hard-hitting units.

On Warhawk Riders - Unfortunately, these guys just don't work well. They do almost no damage to anyone and are terribly fragile. Were you to replace these guys with treekin (if your opponents let you proxy, they're the same base size so...) as these guys hit hard and do damage.

Wardancers and Dryads are good (dryads slightly more so), but they are the guys that countercharge to help finish a unit, not a front-line combatants. If you don't have treekin then, well, best of luck to you... Don't let those riders near anything killy.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

the new AR 3.5 looks like it will be approved.

So lots of changes
radbug
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by radbug »

Thanks all for some very sound advice and I think you have convinced me to change my list. I have a friend who swears by warhawk riders but I do see that they are very hard to play, and even more so for someone who has never played Wood Elves before.

How about the following changes:

Remove all Three units of warhawk riders
Remove one unit of wardancers
Remove one onit of waywatchers
Add 6 treekin
Add 5 wild riders
Fill in other units with remaining points.

Should I remove one of the lvl 4s and add a treeman or a treeman ancient?

It seems like the most common lists are with one lvl 4 and Three treeman, but I would like to play something that is not a copy-paste list of the standard Wood elves ETC list out there :) How about a highborn on a dragon and two treemen with only a scrollcaddy? Some seems to want to play with four treemen but that seems so-so.

/R
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

^this plan is heaps better.

Triple treemen can be a great list, but it has a BUNCH of terrible match ups, including dwarfs and daemons (which are both amazingly popular: first because it's book just came out, second because its the current power book).

I prefer the mixed list you have going. It probably is true that you have a few too many points in wizard levels, and that unless you get a lot of power dice from winds of magic they are probably going to not contribute in proportion to their points.........but it's up to what you are used to/want to do.

I do find a treeman ancient to be great, but mainly for the synergy with beasts and life...........neither of which you are required to use thanks to ETC. But with ETC line of sight rules it's easy to hide one treeman from bad match ups (cannons), so I think you could certainly do far worse than including one if you decide that 8 levels of magic is too many.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
radbug
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by radbug »

Just noticed that ETC 3.5 has increased Wood Elves to 2700p, removed the "all lores" but allows beast and Life for spellsingers. What should I do now?

This was my list:

Spellweaver, lvl 4, Life, diviniation orb, ironcure Icon, talisman of proteciton
Spellsinger, lvl 1, beast
Noble, bsb, asyendils bane, HoDA
Noble, great eagle, spear of twilight, helm of the hunt

20 Glade guard, musician, standard, banner of eternal flame
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
6 Wardancers
5 Wild riders
6 Treekin
Great Eagle
Great eagle
5 Waywatchers
Treeman

100p left

It would be nice with a second treman now with Life/beast on the mages, but then I have to give up a alot.

Or should I skip the lvl 4 all together and go for 2 lvl 2s (Life/beast) and a ancient treeman?

/R
Rhuell
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Dogs of War, Goblins

Post by Rhuell »

Dude, 70 GG straight up until you hit core. Then, with access to beasts and life, run a level 2 scroll-caddy with beasts and the sprite that makes unit have magical attacks (that will help against the VC builds). Take the large GG unit with flaming banner. Level 4 harp build is good (probably with life, unless you are the anti-armor on the team then beasts). Then anything else you want

If you go life, i would double Treeman!
To see all of my current gaming adventures, check out: www.rhuell.blogspot.com
albertoalter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by albertoalter »

Just noticed that ETC 3.5 has increased Wood Elves to 2700p, removed the "all lores" but allows beast and Life for spellsingers. What should I do now?
What a pity, the possibility to use all 8 lords was great. Far more possibilities in list-making of. :cry: :cry:

2700 points are a lot, but I still prefer use lore of death, light coven with a 2500 points army.
Winter Wood Elves from 2005