What would you do?

Moderator: Council of Elders

Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

What would you do?

Post by Dalsgaard »

I have just startet playing in a local club, that has some changes to the wood elve army:
2800 pts WE against 2600 Opp.
ASF for elves
Weaver and Singer has access to all lores
True forest spirit ward saves
Forest dragon 100 pts cheaper
Only 2 of the same core, special and rare
Max 50 GG
GR is 15 pts
EG are 9 pts, always core and stubborn
Treekin is 50 pts but max one Unit of 6
WW is 18 pts

I have access to almost all models, so any suggestions to an army?

I am thinking
Treeman ancient
Weaver with life/shadow
Singer with beast/metal
Eagle noble
Bsb noble with hoda
2x20 GG
2x5 GR
2x8 dryads
6 treekin
7 wardancers
Treeman
6 WW
2 Eagles
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Re: What would you do?

Post by hutobega »

I'm sorry but 2 of the same core limit seems stupid. Other than that the list looks fine heh any dispel scrolls? and I'd use that 9 pt eternal guard honestly. and 100 point cheaper dragon...
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

At first blush all these changes look really great. But, what I think will happen is that an army list made with these restrictions will produce an army that is more like all other armies in Warhammer and not retain the WE uniqueness. I'm sure it is unintentional on their part; they are just trying to make a WE army able to compete with other armies.

Hopefully, your list from game to game doesn't need to remain the same because I would want to play a Three-treeman list, a Wild Rider Glass Nuke list, and an Eternal Guard bus list with these changes. And of course, I could not pass up on finally being able to use my high lord on dragon model. (It has a thick layer of dust on it because I haven't used it in years.) I just wouldn't know which one to play first.

So, what to do? Well, exploit it. Exploit it like crazy. Elves with ASF and a true ward save for Forest Spirit. Sounds like a unit of Wild Riders would be good. The additional 200 points will help cover that.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

What would you do?

Post by Dalsgaard »

hutobega wrote:I'm sorry but 2 of the same core limit seems stupid. Other than that the list looks fine heh any dispel scrolls? and I'd use that 9 pt eternal guard honestly. and 100 point cheaper dragon...
I agree completely.

I am thinking of bringing dispel scroll and moonstone. And maybe cluster of radiants on the ancient.
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

What would you do?

Post by Dalsgaard »

Sidewinder wrote:At first blush all these changes look really great. But, what I think will happen is that an army list made with these restrictions will produce an army that is more like all other armies in Warhammer and not retain the WE uniqueness. I'm sure it is unintentional on their part; they are just trying to make a WE army able to compete with other armies.

Hopefully, your list from game to game doesn't need to remain the same because I would want to play a Three-treeman list, a Wild Rider Glass Nuke list, and an Eternal Guard bus list with these changes. And of course, I could not pass up on finally being able to use my high lord on dragon model. (It has a thick layer of dust on it because I haven't used it in years.) I just wouldn't know which one to play first.

So, what to do? Well, exploit it. Exploit it like crazy. Elves with ASF and a true ward save for Forest Spirit. Sounds like a unit of Wild Riders would be good. The additional 200 points will help cover that.
Thankfully the list doesnt have to stay the same. First game is against orcs (SOBU, BO, Rivertrolls, Doomdiver, 2x lobber 'ish) and treemen/treekin with lifeweaver could be great no?

And thanks for the replies!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

IMO Cluster of Radiants and the Wand of Wych Elm have gotten better as other armies lose access to bonus power dice (Banner of Sorcery, Slann power, etc).
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dalsgaard »

Also thinking of bringing Wand og Wych Elm.
Now I cant deside to bring the Treeman or 6 treekin, any thoughts?
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

What models do you have?
I think TK&50 pts are too good, I would take 2x6. WR with fc/Razor will be big hammer. Maybe switch TMA and TM for 6xTK and 10xWR. The other units seem to be ok. Shadow for your Weaver and Beast or Metal for the Singer (depends on your opponents).

Good luck!
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Top priority: The artillery pieces - Of the two, I believe the Doom Diver is the more dangerous and for its point cost it is one of the best artillery pieces in the game because of its ability to adjust the scatter dice results. Deploy your Waywatchers 12" away from any of the war machines. Try to line up the Waywatchers so that they Overrun to where you want them to be after combat. If all six WW make contact that will be 12 attacks hitting on 3's, killing on 4s, and re-rolling missed hits requiring only three wounds against the crew. Unless you roll very poorly and your opponent rolls very good, there should be no return attacks.

Use your Treeman Ancient to Treesing your forest (or any forest) between your units and your opponents Squigs, Squig Hoppers, Fanatics, and Pump Wagons (basically, anything that has random movement) if he has them. Use buildings and impassible terrain to protect your units from the same.

If your opponent fields Night Goblins then land one of your Great Eagles 8 inches away from the Night Goblins. This will cause a premature release of Fanatics. Don't land in a spot that is in the direction that he wants to send his Fanatics.

Another high priority: The River Trolls - The Banner of Eternal Flame has become a staple in most army lists. You will want to have it in one of your GG units to remove regeneration from the River Trolls. It would be best to reduce their numbers as much as possible before they make contact with one of your units.

Don't forget during the game that Goblins fear Elves.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

What would you do?

Post by Dalsgaard »

Some great points Sidewinder, thanks!

Here is a revised list: (Note that BSB can be equipped and upgraded as normal noble and I just feel that life would be good in this list. Maybe shadow is better though)

Spellweaver: Moonstone of the Hidden Ways; Wand of Wych Elm; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Life. 340

Spellsinger: Dispel Scroll; Ironcurse Icon; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Metal. 155
Noble: Hail of Doom Arrow; Obsidian Trinket; Banner of Swiftness; Elven Steed; Battle Standard; Wild Rider Kindred. 197
Noble: The Dawnspear; Potion of Foolhardiness; Elven Steed; Wild Rider Kindred. 162

20 Glade Guard: Musician; Banner of Eternal Flame. 256
20 Glade Guard: Musician. 246
5 Glade Riders: Musician. 84
5 Glade Riders: Musician. 84

7 Wardancers: Bladesinger. 140
10 Wild Riders of Kurnous: Wild Hunter; Standard Bearer; Razor Standard. 341
6 Tree Kin 300

6 Waywatchers 108
Great Eagle 50
Great Eagle 50
Treeman 285

2.798 points
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dalsgaard »

Or this list, what do you think is best?

Spellweaver: Wand of Wych Elm; Moonstone of the Hidden Ways; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Shadow. 340

Spellsinger: Dispel Scroll; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Beasts; Elven Steed; Glamourweave Kindred. 182
Noble: The Dawnspear; Potion of Foolhardiness; Elven Steed; Wild Rider Kindred. 162
Noble: Hail of Doom Arrow; Obsidian Trinket; Banner of Swiftness; Elven Steed; Battle Standard; Wild Rider Kindred. 197

20 Glade Guard: Lord's Bowman; Musician; Standard Bearer; Banner of Eternal Flame. 274
20 Glade Guard: Musician. 246
5 Glade Riders 75
5 Glade Riders 75

11 Wild Riders of Kurnous: Wild Hunter; Standard Bearer; War Banner. 347
6 Wardancers 108
6 Tree Kin 300

Treeman 285
6 Waywatchers 108
Great Eagle 50
Great Eagle 50

2.799 points