2500 points vs Empire (old army book)

Moderator: Council of Elders

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

2500 points vs Empire (old army book)

Post by frogboy »

2500 points tonight vs my arch nemesis and most likely his Steam Tank.

Well last week I played a warm up game of 1000 points vs High Elves and I'm delighted to say I won, although these are friendly games and it was my opponents first ever game of 8th haha. Anyway I'm trying to get back in the swing of things as it's been far too long since I've played any games, so when my good friend challenged me to a game this week I was really happy to say yes.

He will be using the old Empire Army book as he hasn't played in about a year or so and was playing something else when he stopped. I will be playing Wood Elves naturally.

My list as follows;

Lords

Treeman Ancient
Spellweaver, Toad scroll, lore of Life

Heros

Eagle Noble, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Helm of the Hunt, Stone of Rebirth

Core

3x 10 Glade Guard, musician
3x 8 Dryads

Special

3 Treekin
3 Warhawk Riders
5 Wardancers

Rare

Treeman
Treeman
Great Eagle

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2500 points vs Empire (old army book)

Post by Mollesvinet »

Really like the variety of units in your list. Main thing i miss is annoyance of netlings on the treeman ancient, but i guess it doesn't matter a whole lot against empire (haven't played against them ever).

Another thing you could do was to take the charmed shield on the eagle noble, as it is great in conjuntion with stone of rebirth. I know there are alot of targets for cannons to shoot at with all the treemen, but it could save you a noble.

Good luck, hope to hear how it went. Kakwah would be proud of you to take the toad scroll. Then again, as your nickname is frogboy you really ought to take it.
albertoalter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by albertoalter »

Stone of Rebirth is not the best WS for your Eagle Noble, cannons will kill him instantly. Is better the Stone of Cristal Mere

yes, you have 3 freeman, but if I've been play Empire, first i'll shut down your fast eagle noble, and then the slow treeman...
Winter Wood Elves from 2005
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Huzzah ! I'm back and with another victory under my belt :D

We muddled through the rules and managed to play three turns before the cowardly humans ran from the terror of the forest (really we just ran out of time so had to call it early :lol: )

Points of interest:

My level 4 Spellweaver ended the game with only 1 spell, due to me rolling a miscast on the first turn and losing a level and also his Pegasus riding Hero had that chest of most annoyingness plus this other magic item which steal spells. Luckily for me I was able to shoot the Peg hero down with 10 Glade Guard netting me about 150 VPs.

Empire first Magic phase also resulted in a miscast and he rolled a 6, he lost 4 swordsman. Also the steam tank and wizard both took a wound to a strength ten hit. Hex Scroll Failed to work.

A Treeman took a cannon ball to the face first turn but shrugged it off with no ill effect only to be ran over and killed by the Stank on turn 2.

A unit of 8 Dryads braved the open ground and made it over a hill to face a hell blaster volley gun which at close range on its turn fired 16 times but with the minus 1 to hit due to Skirmishers only wounded 4 and then they saved 1, they then charged in for the kill on the 3rd turn.

On the other side of the battle field I was able to receive a charge from 10 knights of the inner circle led by his General into my Treeman Ancient and the 3 Treekin. His General issued and challenge which I was hesitant to except as I didn't know what magic items he had and wanted to smash face to the unit, but with no choice I went with it. I won combat by 1 in the first round then in my turn I was able to flank charge with 8 Dryads then rear charge with my Eagle Noble, I finished his general off in the Challenge with my TA and killed 7 of his knights. He failed his insane courage roll and I ran them down like dogs with my Eagle Noble.

This was the point at which we called it a night.

Yes I did feel I should have taken Annoyance of Nettlings but it was only a friendly game. I did want it though when his general challenged me but in the end I didn't need it. I think charmed shield would be nice too but wanted the extra attack and I had so many extra drops in deployment I used the cover of the terrain, he only had 1 cannon, 1 hell blaster and a steam tank. In fact the only thing his great cannon done all game was kill 2 Glade Guard.

Next time I'll try the feedback scroll...

Thanks for reading,
Frogboy
:D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Sounds like a nice game, especially for you as you won. Games always take longer once you have become a little rusty from not playing in a long time.

Now i didn't see the battle, but i think challenging with his lord was probably a mistake. First of all, in normal cases you would have annoyance. Second, in this way he loses all those attacks with lances on the charge (don't know if they are strength 5 or 6 with empire though). I suppose if most of the knights could attack your treekin it still made sense.

Sounds like you did have some good luck at times! Thanks for the write up.