EG Deathstar

Moderator: Council of Elders

danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

EG Deathstar

Post by danny1995 »

So this is a wonderful Wood Elf army built around an eternal guard death star. The unit ends up running around with a 5+ armour (bleh I admit), 5+ ward against standard wounds, 4+ against magic caused wounds. The other thing the army relies on is Wyssans Wildform and hoping desperately for Savage Beast, big Savage Beast can make the two characters sitting in my front rank knock some heads hard. Add to that the unit is going to be Ld 10 re-rollable, stubborn, nine times out of ten. So the list;

Highborn (173 pts);
-Light Armour
-Enchanted Shield
-Sword of Might

Spellweaver (325 pts)
-Lore of Beasts
-Rhymer's Harp
-Level 4

Noble (135 pts)
-BSB
-Armour of Silvered Steel

13 Dryads (156 pts)

12 Dryads (144 pts)

32 Eternal Guard (429 pts)
-Full Command
-Lichebone Pennant

12 Glade Guard (162 pts)
-Musician
-Banner (need them for fortitude)

12 Glade Guard (162 pts)
-Musician
-Banner (diddo)

6 Wild Riders
-Musician

6 Wild Riders
-Musician

The two Wild Riders are suicide units to knock out the most terrifying artillery (cannons punching through full ranks of EG, bolt throwers, etc.) after they do that they can die. Dryads are speed bumps ore flank chargers depending on what they need to do (possibly I should split them up into 8/8/9) The biggest thing is that EG unit needs to lock into combat with things on its own terms with SBoH and Wyssans. I hope this will be a decent army, it's a little different though.
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: EG Deathstar

Post by jberrysf »

I've run an EG deathstar a couple of times with a range of effectivenesses and what I think you may like are some of the following:

Eagles to act as Cheap redirectors/diverters.

Eternal Kindred Nobles for Mage Protection to keep her in the second rank. As it stands, 2 wounds on that BSB from a poorly matched challenge (or on the champ, for that matter) means she is up front with only a 5+ ward to protect her.

Food for thought.

It's a fun list to play. It runs very very differently from normal Wood Elf lists.
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

Yeah, I was considering dropping the Dryads in favour of 4 EG Nobles, and giving my BSB Obsidian Lodestone, then changing the units banner (possibly swiftness), that way they can run around and it takes 4 dead characters to force my wizard into the first rank, plus it really allows me to take advantage of Savage Beast, resulting in 7 S8 attacks and 24 S7 attacks from the front rank. It also allows the unit as a whole to be able to take chump challenges that would normally pull my BSB or Highborn out from where he is really effective, mowing down 7 guys a turn.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

For the EG star to work you really need the razor standard. S3 armour piercing is loads better than plain S3.
When you have a highborn who has spare magic item allocation you don't need to waste you magic banner slot on magic resistance: just let the highborn carry that
Your highborn does look rather squishy to me: 4+ and 5++ is not going to keep him alive long. I don't really see his function in the list apart from giving you core EG. Give him annoyance of nettlings and at least give him a job (taking out characters).

Your unit sizes look...awkward. 12/13 dryads? Why not drop back to 8 in each and buy two eagles?
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd go with Silvered Steel, Luckstone, Great Weapon on the fighting Lord (still not great but much more durable than currently) and cut the caster to lvl3. You'll miss the spell selection of the lvl 4 but it's playable. I really don't like not having a scroll (much more important than MR) but I don't see a way around this, at least you have the Harp warding the characters. The BSB could go Dragonhelm, Stone of Rebirth, Wildfire Blades.

Otherwise I agree with the doctor.
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

So changed the list drastically because I feel like playing something really weird.

LORDS 491
Highborn (201 pts)
-Armour of Silvered Steel
-Great Weapon
-Luckstone

Spellweaver (290)
-Rhymer's Harp

HEROES 455
Noble (135 pts)
-BSB
-Obsidian Lodestone

Noble (80 pts)
-Eternal

Noble (80 pts)
-Eternal

Noble (80 pts)
-Eternal

Noble (80 pts)
-Eternal

36 Eternal Guard (507 pts)
-Full Command
-Razor Standard

10 Glade Guard (148 pts)
-Musician
-Standard Bearer

10 Glade Guard (138 pts)
-Musician
-Standard Bearer

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous (130 pts)
-Musician

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous (130 pts)
-Musician

It's definitely all my eggs in one basket, but it is a pretty tough basket. The wild riders hunt artillery or possibly turn into chaff against a non-artillery army to protect the flanks of my EG, hopefully it'll work.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I don't think you need 36 Eternal Guard. I think 28 is sufficient when you have that many characters, and the extra 100 points will buy you two Eagles which you desperately need. I'd also drop one unit of Wild Riders for another unit of Glade Guard - 30 bows is significantly better than 20, and now you have more redirectors with the eagles. Also, if you don't need the banners for Blood and Glory (on the Glade Guard) I'd just drop them.

I also feel that the Great Weapon on your Lord isn't a very good choice - sure he'll be S6 all the time, but you really really really want Savage Beast or at least Wyssans, and because you're all T3 squishy elves, you want to be striking first to ensure you give the maximum amount of beating you can.

I'm guessing this is 2000 points list?
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

Indeed it is 2000. I like the idea of the two eagles, re-directors are kind of highly useful for this list. The extra shots are going to be highly useful. I like the concept that even one of my nobles can take on a challenge from some beastly characters if I have SBoH off. I'm also considering grabbing AHW on the Highborn to get a bunch of attacks out of him.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

godswearhats wrote:I also feel that the Great Weapon on your Lord isn't a very good choice - sure he'll be S6 all the time, but you really really really want Savage Beast or at least Wyssans, and because you're all T3 squishy elves, you want to be striking first to ensure you give the maximum amount of beating you can.

I'm guessing this is 2000 points list?
This is the problem. The Lord has to be able to take some punishment (two whole armies and plenty of other stuff will strike before him regardless) and that pretty much means Silvered Steel IMHO. A GW is 6 points, Sword of Strking for example (and I'm suspicious of S5 on your best fighter) is 15. Without something crazy like Forbidden Rod, WE's can't rely on getting any spells through in a specific phase. Sure 5+/5++ on the EG isn't awesome but it's not terribly soft either and danny has Stubborn and some bodies there. But he has to have ways of actually killing stuff at the same time.

But I agree that the list needs more archers. My fear is that this unit is M5 infantry and will simply get redirected while the enemy kills the rest, because the EG are the only combat threat in the army.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I'm trying to find a way to make things work at 2000 points. It's tricky.

The "take the hit and then hit back" mentality doesn't sit well with me on anything with T3. T4 and above I do it (e.g. my Eagle Noble, and the big Forest Spirits). It may be just a personal preference thing, but I always want to hit first at T3, because no matter the armor save I've got, I'm definitely getting wounded. AoSS is about the only way to fix that (agreed) but it's definitely a trade-off. I can spend those points on something that helps me avoid a combat.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Maybe this is a culture thing, WE's being used to doing this otherwise than with armour. I played HE's for some years and some of the best fighting Lord builds are based on armour. When you've got 1+ re-rollable you're very durable, even with T3. Now the WE Lord can't get this but Silvered Steel, Luckstone, Harp Ward is decent IMHO. Sure he won't survive a Vamp Lord but the saves will keep him going against the vast majority of the stuff he'll run into, whereas something like Netlings will be useless against high strength rank and file or monsters. But if you're playing 2400/2500, Silvered Steel, Dawnstone, Netlings, Harp Ward is very nice.

That said I'd be very interested to see an alternate build at 2000pts.