2500 pt list, new to wood elves, first fantasy tournament

Moderator: Council of Elders

Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

2500 pt list, new to wood elves, first fantasy tournament

Post by Coldpsyker »

Hey all! I am relatively new to fantasy, having played it for obly a couple of weeks now, but there is a local tournament coming up on March 8

Since this is my first time playing at such a large points level (and am new and playing wood elves), I fully expect to get my ass kicked. What I want to know is: do I stand at least a fighting chance?

Lords
Spellweaver 305
-lvl 4, wand of wych elm, lore of life (I am still up in the air about this)

Heroes
Branchwraith 90
-cluster of radiants
Noble 178
-light amor, spear, great weapon, potion of foolhardiness, enchanted shield, amaranthine brooch
-mounted on great eagle
Noble 172
-wild rider kindred, hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt
-mounted on elven steed

Core
Dryads (x11) 144
-branch nymph
Glade guard (x20) 268
-musician, banner of eternal flame
Glade guard (x10) 120
Glade guard (x10) 120

Special
Wardancer troupe (x10) 201
-bladesinger, musician
Wild riders (x10) 341
-wildhunter, razor standard

Rare
Great eagle 50
Treeman 285
Waywatchers (x9) 224
-shadow sentinel

Comments and criticism entirely welcome!
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: 2500 pt list, new to wood elves, first fantasy tournamen

Post by godswearhats »

On my phone so this will be terse.

Is this the full list of all your models or do you have others to work with?

With the type of list you have, Beasts is better.

Drop champions out of any unit that won't be a character bunker.

Take two eagles if you have the models.

9 is probably too many way watchers. 6 probably does the job.

Put musicians in all your glade guard units.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

You really need a Battle Standard Bearer. Being able to reroll failed Ld tests is just too good.
Best way I can see for you to fit it in is a reshuffle of your characters.
-Drop the branchwraith: a pity, as I quite like them with Beasts magic (although many don't) but as you are mostly paying 90 points for an extra dispel dice.......yeah not worth it.
-Swap the Hail of Doom and Helm of the Hunt for the Dawnspear, a dragonbane gem and potion of foolhardiness. Wildrider kindred is a combat character, do you don't want to go half way and give him magical arrows. The dawnspear is amazing: your entire unit being hit on 5s (provided you do a wound) by anything less than WS6? Yes please! The PoF effectively works like the Helm for one turn, and dragonbane gem allows you to charge him out to hold up units with flaming attacks
-Then you should have room for a noble with BSB, hail of doom arrow and asyendis bane (you need to buy him a cheap magical bow as he loses his normal one when he becomes the BSB). Hail of doom is great, so this allows you to still have it in your list.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Beast is good for this list because of so many combat units. War dancers or wild riders with +1 S and T yes please!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

Thanks for the replies!

RE: great eagles and models
-I only have 2 great eagles, and 1 of them is currently going to be used as a mount
-for model availibility, this is pretty much all of my wood elf models+some hgh elves to "fill the ranks" (already talked to the TO, he said that was fine as long as the "counts as" made sense and I made it clear to my opponents what was what

So, the new revised list

Lord
Spellweaver 305
-wand of wych elm, lvl4, lore of beasts

Heroes
Noble 178
-spear, great weapon, light armor, enchanted shield, amaranthine brooch, potion of foolhardiness
-mounted on great eagle
Noble 167
-wild rider, elven steed, dragonbane gem, dawnspear, potion of foolhardiness
Noble 135
-battle standard bearer, scarecrow banner (I had 6 extra points, dont know what to spend it on), hail of doom arrow, asyendi's bane

Core
Dryads (x10) 120
Glade guard (x20) 268
-musician, banner of eternal flame
Glade guard (x10) 126
-musician
Glade guard (x10) 126
-musician

Special
Wardancer troupe (x10) 201
-bladesinger, musician
Wild riders (x10) 341
-wild hunter, razor standard

Rare
Great eagle 50
Treeman 285
Waywatchers (x8) 192

Any thoughts?

Also, does the general HAVE to be the lord choice spellweaver? Or can one of my nobles be the general?
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by hutobega »

Army standard can not have a banner AND Magical items sorry man.
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

hutobega wrote:Army standard can not have a banner AND Magical items sorry man.
Thanks for the catch! However, I have gotten a couple more practic games, read some rulings by the local TO, and got some advice from the local players.

LORDS
Spellweaver 310 pts (hides in big glade guard unit)
-level 4, lore of life, wand of wych elm, ironcurse icon

Heroes
Spellsinger 150 (hides with wardancers)
-level 2, lore of beasts (local TO ruling, they have access to life and beasts), dispel scroll (as I was informed EVERY army needed a dispel scroll)

Noble 125 (goes with big glade guard)
-battle standard bearer, hail of doom arrow (also local ruling that he does not lose longbow), charmed shield

Noble 181
-light armor, spear, shield, potion of foolhardiness, dragonhelm, amarathine brooch
- great eagle mount

Core
Dryads (x12) 156
-branch nympth

Glade guard (x19) 256
-musician, standard bearer, banner of flame

Glade guard (x10) 126 pts
-musician

Glade guard (x10) 126 pts
-musician

Special
Wardancers (x10) 201
-bladesinger, musician

Wild riders of kuronus (x10) 341 pts
-full command, razor banner

Rare
Great eagle 50

Treeman 285

Waywatchers (x8) 192

Total: 2499

Comments and criticism welcome!
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by hutobega »

I like it. I would maybe suggest you could keep the BSB in a smaller unit of GG? or else they will throw any big spell or shooting at that one unit of 20 just to get at the mage and bsb at the same time. kinda like two birds with one stone... if they are separated people will have to chose.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Swap the eagle nobles spear for a great weapon. As he's rather hard to kill he's a great thing to commit to a grind, so +2S every turn is amazingly better than +1 on the charge. Also the fact that you will strike last can be a bonus: it means the noble swings at the same time as the eagles stomp: as a flying character he's vulnerable to getting challenged by unit champs and losing on static res, so having the opportunity to get more combat res through overkill is great.
I'd drop the champ and 4 dryads for the unit: find 36 points from somewhere and hey presto! You have two units of 8 dryads. Much better than one of 12.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Good luck! I just did my first tournament not so long ago. You might find, as I did, that the game play is much stronger in the then in friendly games. Stay strong and play the best you can, uncomped/lightly comped wood elves are a challenge for anyone. The best advice I can give you is to have fun and learn as much as you can, also if you think you're right on a rule check with the TO, I've lost games I could have one by giving someone the benefit of the doubt. If you have fun and end up wanteing to expand your army I find the tree men to be extremely useful, and Reaper sells this guy fir next to nothing compared to the fuglier (IMO) GW model. http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bo ... test/77184
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

Drstrangelove wrote:Swap the eagle nobles spear for a great weapon. As he's rather hard to kill he's a great thing to commit to a grind, so +2S every turn is amazingly better than +1 on the charge. Also the fact that you will strike last can be a bonus: it means the noble swings at the same time as the eagles stomp: as a flying character he's vulnerable to getting challenged by unit champs and losing on static res, so having the opportunity to get more combat res through overkill is great.
I'd drop the champ and 4 dryads for the unit: find 36 points from somewhere and hey presto! You have two units of 8 dryads. Much better than one of 12.
I will remember that for next time! Right now though, he is already modelled with a spear, and I only have 12 dryads total (though my friend just picked up a box for me for my birthday, so that problem will soon be fixed)

@slobber
I have one of the old metal treemen, but I am trying to hold off on getting a second until wood elves get updated-want to see what gw will do with them (plus, isnt one of the rumors saying a plastic treeman kit?)
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

Well all, had the tourney last saturday, and I suffered 3 crushing defeats. BUT, I am no longer getting tabled/almost tabled, so I will take that!
Also, thanks for all the advice and tips, now that I am expanding my collection, I will be sure to give them a try (I found myself wishing for a freat weapon on the eagle noble, or MSU dryads)

Some thoughts:

The dual life/beasts setup was pretty cool, though I think in the future I will just go with a lvl4beastweaver with dispel scroll. The wand of wych elm was nice, but I tended to save my dispel dice for 1-2 spells that NEEDED to be gone (mostly magic missiles)

The Eagle Noble was the MVP of every game (and managed to survive every game)
Will take him with a great weapon next time, so when he goes and holds up stegadons and stuff, he can actually hurt them

The Banner of Flame on my Glade Guard was useless, as I dont think there are really any local armies that run flammable/regen

Dryads- I have been converted to the church of msu dryads, as manuvering 12 around was awkward and they left too big a footprint

Wild Riders- going to get axed. I cannot seem to make them work. Especially after my opponent realizes how expensive and fragile they are, and starts throwing every magic missile/warmachine/shooty unit at them

Wardancers- I like them, especially because they help protect my flanks from super heavy calvary- I just have to deploy/use them better

Treeman- have to learn to be more agressive with him- I used him too defensively and so he did not do too much throughout tourney

Eagle-excellent, although apprently they are probably going to go down to 2 wounds In the next codex?!?!

Waywatchers- even though they give my opponent 200 points, it is great watching them hold up half the army for 2 turns, and the kiling blow is nice against pesky dragon princes and the hero saurus on cold ones
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Losing is a learning experience. I think all the lessons you picked up are valuable ones!

Better luck in future games.

What is this about eagles with only 2 wounds?
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

re wildriders; you did remember they still get a 5++ against magic missiles (as they get a 6++ and magic resistance 1 from their talismanic tattoos, which combine to give them a 5++......so they lose one 5++ ward only to get another)?
It's all about keeping them out of the forward arc of any wizards unit too. Sure, they can turn to face you........and give your eagles a flank charge on their bunker.
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

Mollesvinet wrote:Losing is a learning experience. I think all the lessons you picked up are valuable ones!

Better luck in future games.

What is this about eagles with only 2 wounds?

Apparently in the high elf book Great Eagles are only 2 wounds? Dont have the book and didnt look it up, but if all Elves are getting ASF, then Great Eagles will probably go down in wounds (if true)
Drstrangelove wrote:re wildriders; you did remember they still get a 5++ against magic missiles (as they get a 6++ and magic resistance 1 from their talismanic tattoos, which combine to give them a 5++......so they lose one 5++ ward only to get another)?
It's all about keeping them out of the forward arc of any wizards unit too. Sure, they can turn to face you........and give your eagles a flank charge on their bunker.
I did remember that. Didnt really help though, especially when the wizards are lvl4 Slaan buried in a mob of temple guard (two games), or when the enemy has 3 wizards+teclis
They were just really fragile, and easy to hit.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

High Elf Great Eagles are still at three wounds.
They now can have units of 1+.
For additional points the entire GE unit may have first strike.
For additional points the entire GE unit may have armor piercing.

Hopefully our eagles will get the same or are given Forest Spirit for additional points.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Drstrangelove »

Slann (and loremasters) are the worst match up for wood elf MSU, so that's rough.
But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Wardancers, treekin, dryads, way watchers (which are as expensive with zero saves!) and GG also fare badly against magic missile spam. Doesn't make them bad choices.
I'd encourage you to have another crack at wild riders. They are the closest thing to a fast competitive choice we have (after the eagle noble, which as you've seen is amazing) due to the punch they pack and their sheer speed.
Maybe just scale them back a bit to say 5 with the +1 movement banner and just bolt them up a flank, instead of investing a lot of points in them. Particularly if you intend to keep using waywatchers, having multiple threats in their deployment zone that they have to deal with will really get to a lot of opponents.