Moderator: Council of Elders

FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

2500 pts GT list for Crossroads Spring Break

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Hey all!

I'm revamping my army for the 2014 tourney season. I've been running an eternal guard heavy list for the past year- so I thought the time was ripe to mix it up before the new army book arrives (hopefully) this year.

I'll be attending the Crossroads Spring Break GT in Horseheads, NY this coming March. They allow some additional comp for woodies (ie: all bows are considered glade guard long bows, forest spirits get solid ward saves, all elves including wild riders have ASF, and BSB can be equipped like a normal noble and does not lose their glade guard longbow.)

Am I looking for feedback? Not really. Actually posting to brag. This list kicks butt. I feel like this comp gives us a good inkling regarding how wood elves might play in a few months.

2500 pts

Treeman Ancient
Annoyance of netlings

Lifeweaver
Dispel Scroll

BSB
Elven Steed
Dragonhelm
Sheild and Spear
Hail of Doom Arrow

10 Glade Guard with musician

10 Scouts
banner of flame

5 Glade Riders with musician

5 glade Riders with musician

10 Wild Riders
Musician
Razor Standard

Treeman

Treeman

I've found that wild riders are actually worth taking with ASF and the razor standard. They'll really carve through a lot of stuff. The triple tree list works really well in this comp. The treemen and Ancient can be used to tie up scary stuff, while the shooting elements pick away at the rest of the enemy.

I'm going to start a paint blog to show how I'm revamping my army.
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: 2500 pts GT list for Crossroads Spring Break

Post by SquidBoy »

Interesting with the 10 scouts and flaming banner. Is this your first try with this combo or have you played with it before?
I find the scouts lacking in a number of ways, but with the house rule of gg bows they might be worth taking.
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

SquidBoy wrote:Interesting with the 10 scouts and flaming banner. Is this your first try with this combo or have you played with it before?
I find the scouts lacking in a number of ways, but with the house rule of gg bows they might be worth taking.
Yeah, I've gotten that a few times from other gamers. Scouts are a LOT better with GG long bows. Sure, they are expensive, but their mobility gives me a great way to get the flaming banner in short range of things like chimeras and trolls. Works really well.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

The BSB goes in GR or is that a change from ETC as well?
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

popisdead wrote:The BSB goes in GR or is that a change from ETC as well?
The BSB usually hangs with GR, but jumps ship as necessary.
tmarichards
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by tmarichards »

I like the list, it's hard to say exactly what I'd suggest to change due to how much the comp changes it.

I'd probably run without the Treemen though, I feel they're still far too easy to kill for too many armies. Unless the event is also using an ETC style line of sight? If that's the case, I'd definitely take 3.

I was having a little play around on Army Builder with the comp, this is what I came up with for a Tree-less variant, it might be worth having a play with. It's odd to write lists without Dryads, but they don't really fit in anywhere.

Highborn, GW, Eagle, Armour of Silvered Steel, Stone of the Crystal Mere, Annoyance of Nettlings

Beasts Level 4, Scroll, Ironcurse Icon, Dragonbane Gem, horse

Noble, BSB, GW, LA, Shield, Eagle, Dragonhelm, Amaranthine Brooch, Potion of Foolhardiness

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard Scouts, Standard Bearer, Flaming Banner

10 Glade Guard Scouts

10 Glade Riders, Musician

10 Glade Riders, Musician

5 Glade Riders, Musician

5 Glade Riders, Musician

3 Warhawks

3 Warhawks

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

It's a very different style of list to yours, I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or worse instead it's more to my liking.
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

tmarichards wrote:I like the list, it's hard to say exactly what I'd suggest to change due to how much the comp changes it.

I'd probably run without the Treemen though, I feel they're still far too easy to kill for too many armies. Unless the event is also using an ETC style line of sight? If that's the case, I'd definitely take 3.
I agree that normally triple trees are normally too many eggs in one basket. But what I've found under this comp, triple trees work well. The 5+ solid ward save is what makes the difference that I've found.

And here is my painting blog:

Tater repaints his army (blog)

-Tater
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

I'm also in a crossroads tourney this upcoming Feb in CT! good luck with yours I'm scared about mine. I love the scout idea, but I'm not in love with the BSB on a horse idea? not sure why but I also have no wild riders.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
quiestdeus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by quiestdeus »

This event was last weekend, right? How did your list do? Inquiring minds want to know! :nod:
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Wow, thats quite impressive for you to remember. Now i am also curious.

Looking at the list, it seems the bsb is a bit in the dangerzone with only 2 5-man units to hide in.

Let us know how it went!
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Yeah, I ended up moving the BSB to foot after play testing for that very reason.

Won big my first game against an Empire Tank/Demi/Knight list. Noble on eagle broke both units of demis!

Ground out a draw in game 2 versus a really tough VC list. Guy running it actually ending up 2nd overall, so I felt pretty good about that!

I was in very pumped mood after the first two rounds. Round 3 was against a fun WOC player- but a few unlucky breaks (such as one of my flanks collapsing when my glade guard were charged by some warriors who managed to charge 16" to catch them. Ouch.)

Tight game against Skaven in Game 4. I just couldn't get around both Crack's Call and Dreaded 13th. Guy was reliably getting 10-12 power dice a turn and was able to cast BOTH of them several turns in a row. Treeman hate Initiative tests. 10 man scout units holding the BSB hate dreaded 13th.

Fifth game was against a WOC list similar to the one I faced in round 3. Similar situation. Guy's Daemon prince saved a metric ton of ward saves. Also, a similar unlikely charge occurred. Daemon prince declared a charge against glade guard holding my BSB and Weaver. He needed a 9 for the charge. Not wanting to risk it, I decided to flee. My Flee roll was two 1s... He rolled an 11 for his charge distancing- catching my glade guard with weaver and BSB.

Overall, I was happy with how the list performed. Honestly, I really felt that had some unlikely stuff not occurred in games 3 and 5 I could have won those. I also don't have tons of experience against Skaven and I played my options wrong in that one. I should have been shooting the beejeezus out of the Grey Seer on the Screaming Bell. I guess you can target him out, huh? I thought he was immune to BSB shooting as he was in a unit. C'est la vie.

All of my opponents were true gents. I had a blast. Not disappointed with the list itself. Will take something similar to the Unplugged GT at the end of May. However, we might have a new book by then. :D
quiestdeus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by quiestdeus »

Nice. Thanks for the update. I did not know that about Grey Seers either, so I'm doubly glad I asked how things went! :D I'm going to be at a wedding the weekend of Unplugged, but I see you're from Vermont (I'm outside Boston) so I may definitely catch you around the NE tournament scene! That is, once I finish painting my elves and actually start playing at Fantasy tournaments :lol:

How did the 10 scouts with flaming banner perform? Given you played Skaven (which seems like the main reason for BotEF now that Hydras are not insane) did you find 10 shots were enough to ping regen off the abom(s?)?
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

quiestdeus wrote:Nice. Thanks for the update. I did not know that about Grey Seers either, so I'm doubly glad I asked how things went! :D I'm going to be at a wedding the weekend of Unplugged, but I see you're from Vermont (I'm outside Boston) so I may definitely catch you around the NE tournament scene! That is, once I finish painting my elves and actually start playing at Fantasy tournaments :lol:

How did the 10 scouts with flaming banner perform? Given you played Skaven (which seems like the main reason for BotEF now that Hydras are not insane) did you find 10 shots were enough to ping regen off the abom(s?)?
Heck, I'll be running a fantasy tourney at Carnage (a gaming convention in Killington VT) this November. You ought to check that out.

Flaming banner to rocks on the scouts. Dropped the HPA in one round of shooting.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Was your finally list close to your first but a BSB on foot?
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

popisdead wrote:Was your finally list close to your first but a BSB on foot?
Pretty close. After playtesting, I made the following changes.

1.) I dropped the wild riders down to 5 WRs (with just a musician.)
2.) Added an Eagle Noble with GW/amaranthine brooch/dragonhelm.
3.) Put the BSB on foot.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Sounds apt.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"