Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Eldar, Wood elves

First ever 1000pts! help?!

Post by Munkeytoto »

1000pts. Wood Elves

Lords/Heroes
Branchwraith (General)
+ Cluster of Radiants + Annoyance of Netlings.

Alter Noble
+ Light Armour + Sheild + Great Weapon + Alter Kindred
+ Hail of doom arrow.

Core choices

Dryad's * 8

Dryad's * 8

Glade Guard * 10

Glade Guard * 10
+Musician

Glade Riders * 5
+ Musician

Special

Wardancers * 7
+Musician

Rare

Great Eagle

A grand total of 1,003 Points

Okay, played 40k for a few years and am starting fantasy. Choose wood elves (LOVE the models + the whole elfyness of them :D )

So...any advice or criticism would be much appreciated. BTW I got the battalion and Branchwraith + Noble so far. Getting Wardancers soon too.

Thanks! :D :)
These are your enemies, child. Know them well and keep your bow and arrow ready. ~ Common Wood Elf teaching
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Re: First ever 1000pts! help?!

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

One Hero in 1000 points is generally considered best in 1000 points, and a 1331 point mounted noble with HoDA is probably the best.

The points saved would allow you to buy one more small unit, perhaps giving you 2 x 6 WD (as I field in this type of army).
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Forest Primeval
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Asrai, Greenskins

Post by Forest Primeval »

First and foremost, I bid you greetings Munkeytoto! Welcome to the site.

AMA has summed it up quite nicely. Wood Elves don't rely on characters as much as other armies, and at 1,000 points, it's really better to spend those extra 100 or so points on troops. I'd drop the Branchie and opt for the Eagle/Steed-mounted Noble with LA, Shield, Spear and HoDA (HotH optional). You shouldn't have to worry too much about magic defense at this level. Remember that you can always use your Eagle as a mage-hunter (even if you have to suicide him into a unit; just make sure to direct all your attacks against the mage).

Assuming you drop the Branchie, the GG's musician, and reconfigure your Noble, you'll have 98 points to spend (or 136 if you decide to mount him on a Steed rather than Eagle). An Eagle allows your Noble to be more maneuverable and more effectively shoot the HoDA. However, if you mount him on a Steed, he can hide in the GR until he needs to jet out. Also, the 136 extra points could be used to select another unit. I'd go with one of these:

- 5x GR, Musician
- 7x WD
- 5x WR
- 3x WhR

I'd actually prefer the WhR (more harassment plus AMD), but that's just my playstyle! Hope this helps.
Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace;
Divinely mysterious, he is inaudible.
Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.
Ramesesis wrote:And our opponents will go: "Oh, noes! Uber-duper supershootysneaky WE pwns everything, CHEESE!"
Munkeytoto
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munkeytoto »

Thanks guys =D So I'm thinking of putting him on a steed and putting him in GR to give them a punch and shot the HODA as I'm planning on getting the eagle and GR behind the enemies ranks ASAP. Love the wild rider models so I'll pick up a box of them. Just realising how much I can actually put into 1000pts. Tis pretty cool =D. And wish i had waited cuz i got the noble with bow model and Drycha form GW but its cool, love the models and i'll fit them into a 1500 setup possibly =D.
These are your enemies, child. Know them well and keep your bow and arrow ready. ~ Common Wood Elf teaching
Munkeytoto
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Munkeytoto »

1000pts. Wood Elves

Lords/Heroes

Mounted Noble
+ Light Armour + Sheild + Great Weapon + Mounted on Elven steed
+ Hail of doom arrow.

Core choices

Dryad's * 8

Dryad's * 8

Glade Guard * 10

Glade Guard * 10

Glade Riders * 5
+ Musician

Special

Wardancers * 7
+Musician

Wild riders * 5

Rare

Great Eagle

999 Points all in all. This list seems to be looking pretty swanky, but against WoC would it be good to drop say the GR and something else to put 3 treekin in there?