My first crack at 1000 points

Moderator: Council of Elders

Lathain Stalker
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Chaos Space Marines

My first crack at 1000 points

Post by Lathain Stalker »

Well, this isn't really my first try, because I tried a slightly different version earlier today (proxied). I am definitely new to Wood Elves, so I can't really say how effective it will be. I tried out a Guy on Great Eagle, but with the Alter Noble running around, I feel like the other two heroes should be spellcasters. I'm a huge fan of the Deepwood Sphere after it took out 14 Corsairs in one go, but I want to try out a second one as well for extra tree singing.

I must say though, I have no idea how to play Wood Elves effectively. I want to go with a quick moving, skirmishing, bow heavy army, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it that well. Any advice on how to improve this list would be greatly appreciated.

Spellsinger
Lvl 2
Glamourweave
Elven Steed
Deepwood Sphere

Spellsinger
Lvl 2
Elven Steed
Calaginor’s Staff

Noble
Light Armor, Great Weapon

5 Glade Guard
Scouts
Bowman

5 Glade Guard
Scouts
Bowman

5 Glade Guard
Scouts
Bowman

5 Glade Guard
Scouts
Bowman

5 Waywatchers
Bowman

999 points
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: My first crack at 1000 points

Post by Herald »

The first thing to do, is get your list legal! :sexy: No more scouts units than Glade Guard units, unfortunately. The second thing to "fix", is the amount of points spent on characters. At 1k, 1 character is recommended, and 2 is practically Herohammer. For wood elves... ;)
PGP
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by PGP »

Scouts are not effective, switch four scout units to 2x10 glade guard without command. Cheaper and more effective. Take one unit of five glade riders (shooting, march blocking and movement) with musician. Add there fighter unit of 8 dryads to screen the glade riders and a steed noble general with full mundane gear, hail of doom arrow and helm of the hunt. Now you have actually used the battalion box. Add there something you like, e.g. eagle, 5 waywatchers, 6-8 wardancers, more dryads (e.g. 3x8 can be bought with battalion+dryad box) 3-4 treekin or if you want to be nasty a treeman. Magic is hardly not worth it in this point level. You could test 2xlvl1 wraiths (no other options) with treeman. This way you have possibility to cast three treesongs.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Army list advice must balance the users desires and interests with efficiency. If efficiency is the only factor, then armies get cookie-cutter very quickly; even more so at low point levels where there are fewer options and interactions.

Emphasising efficiency.

General, noble, la, spear, shield, HoDA, steed 123

2 x 8 Dryads 192
2 x 10 Glade Guard 240
1 x 5 Glade Riders, mus 129

comes to 684 and forms an excellent general-purpose core. For the remaining 316 points, I would suggest two specials. A unit of 6 Wild Riders with the Warbanner 199 and 6 Wardancers for 108 are possible, but not the only, choices.

Emphasising desires and interests.

General, spellsinger, lvl2, Calaingor's Stave, steed, scroll 187
Spellsinger, lvl2, Deepwood Sphere, scroll, steed 187

2 x 10 GG 240
1 x 5 GG Scouts 85

You need units to fight; shooting can do only so much. I'd choose 2 x 8 Dryads and 1 x 6 Wardancers. That comes to 999.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Lathain Stalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Alright, I made another crack at the 1000 point range, and I took the characters I really liked (Alter Noble and the Spell Singer) and also put in some of the effectiveness like was suggested. This also makes it easier to build, as its not much more than a battalion box. Here goes:

Noble
Light Armor, Shield, Great Weapon

Spellsinger
Lvl 2
Glamourweave
Elven Steed
Darkwood Sphere

5 Glade Riders
Musician

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

5 Glade Guard
Scouts

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

1000 points!
Gladerunner
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gladerunner »

Let's see...
Lathain Stalker wrote:Noble
Light Armor, Shield, Great Weapon
Wouldn't you think that 4-8 glade guard would carry more efficiency than this? I mean your noble is equipped for good shooting and good combat, but really, your noble can only do one at a time. Your better off with the most over-used build;

noble, steed, spear, LA, shield, HotH, HoDA, (143pts)

and attach him to your glade rider unit if you wish.

If you think about it, HoDA wll give you 3D6 strength 4 hits, which will help you get an early panic test when focused fired with your glade guard and scouts on your opponents lowest leadership or softest unit.
Lathain Stalker wrote:Spellsinger
Lvl 2
Glamourweave
Elven Steed
Darkwood Sphere
Darkwood sphere makes this a very confusing set-up. Do you plan on luring people into the wood terrain? I think a scroll would be better against magic-heavy foes, or a calingor's staff against non-magic enemies. It'll use all of our power dice, either as 4-1 die tree-singing, or 2-2 die tree-singing. This will also allow you to tree-sing towards the enemy while your spellsinger is hidden inside, and then fury of the forest anything around you.

Glamourweave will make your spellsinger really hard to kill unless they charge, and then you can flee, aking this a very VERY expensive, but very effective, bait.

You should also get some special units for some better close combat flanking units.
Lathain Stalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Umm... no, I don't think 4-8 glade guard will outperform the Alter Noble. In terms of pure damage, perhaps, but that is not really his purpose. His purpose is that he is a thorn in my opponent's side that dances out of their LoS and diverts their attention to let the rest of the shooting perform better. Since mobility and harassment are his primary functions, and the fact that the multiple roles he can perform let him act as a troubleshooter wherever he is needed, he will be staying in this list. Also, an 18" charge radius is a threatening thing for any foe to think about, even if he is a lone model. I used him in two games against Ogres (the first one his entire army except a hunter panicked my first shooting round! He gave up after a couple more turns and we started over.) and one against Dark Elves and he's done well so far. The HoDA is very good, but I want continuous annoyance rather than initial panic from this Noble. His role is not just damage but frustration, annoyance, and baiting the enemy into focusing too much on him. As such, he performs better than I imagine a mounted lord would. Oh, not to mention the thing that drew me to Wood Elves in the first place was the Alter Lord/Hero, so dropping my single favorite unit in the entire army is not very likely.

Yeah... the Darkwood Sphere got dropped after the first game and I switched over to Calingor's staff. That worked much better, and I think the Sphere will likely be saved for specific scenarios only. It did an impressive 14 kills on a corsair unit in one game, but that was because the guy had no idea what he was walking into. The Spellsinger did serve a great purpose as bait like you suggested, and even though I kept her hidden out of LoS in woods, my opponents still wanted to kill my caster ASAP and that led to them making bad decisions.

As for special units, this army is kinda just a battalion box plus the things I like, so I'm looking into getting some Wardancers to serve as a hard-hitting flanking unit. However, this would likely be saved for higher point level games, and for after I get more money!
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Your Alter noble doesn't cost more than 143 pts, and you still have 15 pts to go on his magic allowance... The glamourweave and/or steed seems unnecessary on the SS, otherwise this is a good starter. Get your wardancers in ASAP. For fun! ;)
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Lathain Stalker wrote:The HoDA is very good, but I want continuous annoyance rather than initial panic from this Noble. His role is not just damage but frustration, annoyance, and baiting the enemy into focusing too much on him. As such, he performs better than I imagine a mounted lord would. Oh, not to mention the thing that drew me to Wood Elves in the first place was the Alter Lord/Hero, so dropping my single favorite unit in the entire army is not very likely.
Trouble is that he is only a standard magic missile away from being dead. If you like the Alter concept - and everyone likes the lone wolf/ninja :nod: - I'd really recommend the standard Alter kit: HotH, HoDA, Sh, GW, LA. One round of deadly shooting followed by 5 rounds as a hardhitting CC missile/marchblocking/whatever.
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Lathain Stalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

I can't believe I was overcharging myself for that Noble! Dang, I'll have to revise the list now... sadly, I don't have my army book with me right now (I left it back at my apartment and right now I'm at the library) but I'm thinking about adding in Wardancers. The only problems are: what would I drop and how many wardancers is a good amount? Since this army seems to work well with MSU, I'm guessing 5 to 8, and the extra points plus maybe dropping the scouts would be a good way to fit them in. If my head math and memory serve, I could get 6 Wardancers with the points I would have. I'll have to tweak it when I sit down with my army book tonight.

Also, on the Alter Noble - I will likely try the typical setup that has been recommended at least once, and then later decide if I like the machine gun character I'm taking now better. The character I have now is going to have the Briarsheath added to him to increase his survivability/frustration level. Still, he'll end up at 158, not 172!
Lathain Stalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Well, here's my most recent list. I updated the points and added in some Wardancers which sound like fun. They remind me of slayers, but actually damaging! :p Also, I dropped the scouts. While I like them, I feel like at the 1000 point level they didn't do that much overall. Normally, they just sucked and died, two things I don't like my men to do! However, a single surviving scout did manage to finish off an Ogre Butcher where the rest of the army could not, though I think Wardancers will do more damage and create more threat.

Noble
Shield, Great Weapon

Spellsinger
Lvl 2
Elven Steed
Calaingor’s Staff

5 Glade Riders
Musician

10 Glade Guard
Musician

10 Glade Guard
Musician

I added musicians because I had an extra 13 points that I didn't know what to do with. I figured the bonus to rallying will be nice, just in case.

6 Wardancers

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

999 points!

Actually, my next game has been set. We're going for a doubles match, and it will be 1000 points of Wood Elves (me) with 1000 points of Bretonnia versus 1000 Dark Elves and 1000 Ogre Kingdoms. For that match I actually plan on trying out the "standard" Alter Noble and see how he performs. I have a feeling the HoDA will wreck either a unit of Ogres or a unit of Dark Elves enough for a Lance Charge to break their line and give us a bit of an advantage. I'll probably post a battle report of it once its done, for better or for worse.