Nagathi, the Plumber

Anything not at all related to Warhammer goes here. That includes all humor not fitting for the other forums.
Posts in Off Topic do not increase your post count.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Nagathi, the Plumber

Post by Naggie »

I have gotten a job.. Or kind of. It's for a week (to start with) and I will be living with my dad (the job is with one of his friends). At my dad's I don't have as much computer time as I want. Also, as I will be working most of the day, I won't have much time to be here. Expect me to be away with the possibility of maybe checking in a bit each day.

This will affect my LEAF obligations as well as my other admining/modding chores.

~ Nag
Loki
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Eldar, Space Wolves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven

Re: Nag away

Post by Loki »

Don't worry, I'll take care of the chat! :evil:
The key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
Look to the Cookie!
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, LM, E

Post by peterhof »

good luck with the job :thumbsup:
You can push, but I will push back...only harder, much harder.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Job = money = life + stuff!
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:Job = money = life + stuff!
+women!

Or men. I won't presume anything.

Good luck, Nag. If you work half as hard at your job as you do on the forums, then you'll do very well!
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I'll be riding with a plumber, meaning a quite varied range of chores. From carrying stuff to welding and scrape poo out of pipes. Eight hours a day, five days a week. On trial for one week (start on monday) and we'll see where it goes from there. I like building and working with my hands, so this can be really good. It also gives me some experience and I'll be around a happy team of fun guys.

I'll try to upload new LEAF articles to the site on weekends (expect two new Dryad articles, and two other articles at least next week).

~ Nag
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

I know what you mean. Back in high school, I spent summers doing carpentry jobs. The sense of creating things and working with your hands was far, far better than the office jobs I've had lately.

If you're ever down, just remember that plumbing one of the necessary jobs that forms the foundation for modern society to function!

Now get back to scraping poo...
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Not sure how it is with plumbing and similar third tier jobs in Sweden, but in Australia, plumbing is one of the highest paying jobs in the country. So if you're ever down, not only do can you think of the necessity of plumbing, you can also envision a fluffy pile cash. :nod: Though in the case of Warhammer: Plumbing Job = Lots of money = Warhammer, but no life.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

The pay I get for three weeks will pay two months' rent, food and all other expenses. And while I live with my dad I don't have to pay any rent :) The money won't really pile up (I'm only a lowly apprentice there mostly for company and lending a hand), but it's a great differance compared to being in the red each month.

~ Nag
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Good luck, my friend. Enjoy yourself and work hard. We'll keep the shop running while you're away.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Day 1 report :)

It wasn't plumbing as I had thought. I am installing heating pumps. It's a lot of pipe cutting, welding (never done that before), greasing and trying to build a pipe system to connect the pre-manufactured pump to the existing pipe system. It's fun, it's creative and it's something I've never done before. A challenge in my taste. Very good day for me.

~ Nag
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by peterhof »

ok now let's see if that boiler doesn't explode on contact :paranoid:
Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

Nag building his first STank? :paranoid:
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Pictures coming later tonight when I get home to my own computer.

Yesterday was a big mess. It was time to shut of the water and heat to drain the pipes, disconnect the old system and connect the new one. Sounds easy? It wasn't.
One of the parts we've made ourselves didn't fit to the old pipes. The holes for the bolts were 130mm apart on our thingie, and only 110mm apart on the one we were going to attach it to. Luckilly, we managed to spot the mistake just before the specilist store was about to close, so we rushed off to get us some new supplies and started to create a new bit. After the pipes had been drained, we cut them open on some parts and started to weld our new pipes into the old system. We had three welders at the location to speed up the process. We had finally welded things into place at around 17:00 (i.e. 10 hours after we started working) and we were ready to test things.

After turning the water pump on, we noticed one of the dead pipes flushing water on us. It was a pipe supposed to not be connected at all. Bring out the plans and papers, and whopidee. There had been a mistake somewhere along the line. Two of our pipes had been cross-attached. We had to drain the pipes again, cut down the pipes we just welded into place and fit them into their correct places. Sounds easy? It wasn't. Three guys cuting pipes, two guys welding (I am not allowed to weld on pipes in which there will be pressured water, my welding isn't that good). My boss used a gas welding torch (a mix of acetylean and oxygen melts the metal very well) and the other guy (the third had left by then) used an electric welding thingie. We were working in a big garage, and the electric welder managed to blow a fuse. So we had to bring out the loong extension cord and find an outlet that wasn't affected. 65m away I found one, and we had 40m of cord... So we had to go find a second extension cord to get it working again. When he started welding, a BIG flash of sparks headed my way. Apparently, there had come a trinkle of water into the pipe he was welding shut. Water + electrictity = bad news. Waiting a while and the water went away, but it only took 5 minutes before he managed to blow that second fuse as well. The clock was now well over 9 in the evening and all of us had been there since 7 that morning. It was up to the gas welder to finish the welding job.

Once that was done, we slowly turned on the water again to check for any leaks. No leaks. The pipe we filled with cold water stayed warm, while the one we filled with hot water got really hot (125 degrees Celsius). We assumed it was just not getting enough water and we waited. And waited. And started to wait with a bit of nervous feelings. So we went down to the actual pump to monitor the pressure. We flushed in a lot of water but the pressure didn't go up. We knew it was a big system (we're talking a town centre, a few multistore buildings and a few low buildings), but the pressure should have gone up after a while. My boss jovially asked "Where the frig' does all the water go?" So one of the guys started checking all the valves. He was gone for 35 minutes until we called him. He had found out where the water went...

In one of the nearby buildings, a printer house had had a rather olf radiator. It looked like someone had shot a shotgun at it with several holes in it and water all over the place. The radiator itself had come loose from the wall by the sheer force. We managed to seal it off and call some guys to fix the water on the floor. With that done, we inspected the pump again, and things were going as it should. At 23:05 did we finally head home - which means about an hour drive.

I left home just before 6 in the morning, and got hom sometime before midnight. 18 hours away, of which 16 were real manual labour. Body aching, brain malfunctioning, and soaking wet from head to toe (with water I don't really want to know how old it was.. I got flooded by both rusty brown water as well as some black water + goo...). Suffice to say, yesterday was a bit hectic, tiresome, and exhausting. Neither my boss nor the other guy had had this much trouble installing a heating pump in many many years.

Today, my body is aching like crazy. All the heavy lifting (those gas tubes don't walk around by themselves, and all those pipe parts of 10kg or more need to be held absolutelt steady for 10 minutes on straight arms above your head, standing on an unstable ladder, as someone else is welding them in place... etc), running and anxiety has crumbled my body. I can barely stand straight, and my boss decided that we were not to do any real work today. We went to inspect what might be a future job, and to check some small things one places here and there. Just a lot of looking and talking today. We certainly earned it :)

BTW, it seems as I am to ride with my boss for a few more weeks. He liked me and that I am quick to learn (and not afraid of get dirty or do tough jobs). With nothing better to do, I'll keep this up for as long as I can. It's going to be very nice getting home later tonight, use my own computer and sleep in my own bed.

And I got quite a few pics to show those who are instrested :)

~ Nag

PS. Moved (again) and renamed. It fits better here in Off Topic now. DS.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: Nagathi, the Plumber

Post by Hyarion »

Pics! Woohoo!
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

Haha that's a good read Nag. Diaries of a Plumber, great stuff!

Regarding the acetylean and oxygen welder (Sw. acetylensvets), I once in my ignorant youth tried to melt a window pane with one.. by torching in the middle of it. 15 seconds later it blew up spreading little shards of glass all over the room. I'm still grateful not to be blind. :p

Keep up the plumbing and stories (and pics!) :thumbsup:
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by peterhof »

Great fluff :D and I wanna see those picks too, btw good job that you guys fixed it eventually

ps: how did the printer house look like? :drool:
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

peterhof wrote:ps: how did the printer house look like? :drool:
Like any flooded printer house do. Didn't have the strength to take a pic of it though. At 23 in the evening I just wanted to get home.

Pics can be found here: http://personal.woodelves.org/nagathi/work/

~ Nag
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

Looks great, or ehhh, yeah you know.

That heating machine looks really complicated, what sort of building were you in?
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

A basement with tunnels to and from each of the buildings this heating pump is supposed to work for.

~ Nag
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Tethlis »

Sounds far more interesting than a regular office job. If it pays well, you get some exercise, AND the work is engaging? That sounds like a dream.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Whoa, after a few weeks of this, you gotta show me your rock-hard abs.
Eldorthil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Eldorthil »

Ouch that last picture.
I wish my cat hadn't died :cry:.

Go dragons.Not the rugby team the one's which burn and explawde the rugby teams which dare impersonate them.

Arion at Carpe noctem (who took my name :()
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Sounds like you're certainly enjoying the experience Nag! Another couple of weeks though and you'll look like Rambo - all muscle but scarred as hell!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

More days like today and I might :) Carrying heavy gas tubes, tool cases, work benches and crap up and down a lot of stairs...
Yeah, right.. Like I would ever develop any real muscles :)

~ Nag