Elf music! Or the ever popular "What do you listen to?"

Anything not at all related to Warhammer goes here. That includes all humor not fitting for the other forums.
Posts in Off Topic do not increase your post count.

Moderator: Council of Elders

the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Elf music! Or the ever popular "What do you listen to?"

Post by the_red_Dane »

What sort of music do you listen to when you're painting wood elves? Or when you want to feel inspired or in a "wood elfy" mood?

The following are mine:

Wardruna, is just choke full of primal ambiance and helps get into a good mood for making woodland bases and such, I'd say they're my go to band.

Huldre, which is a small Danish band, same reason as Wardruna, the violinist is the twin sister of the guy who ran a FLGS that I worked at for a while.

Elvenking, Elvenking is especially fun since they got a album for a few themes, Winter theme Wood Elves might go for "The Winter Wake" whereas Summer/spring Wood elves might go for "Heathenreel" or "Wyrd" Though, personal opinion: "Stay away from anything after The Winter Wake".

Kiuas, for the more aggressive type, Kiuas is a pretty good to get psyched and in the mood. (Also kinda awesome because they use Finish Folklore, sadly no Mustakrakish has been summoned yet.)
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Elf music! Or the ever popular "What do you listen to?"

Post by Billthesurly »

Blue Oyster Cult - best pass-the-time, painting music. Most BOC themes are of a fantastic/occult nature.
Enya and Loreena Mckennitt - Both of them remind me of the kind of music you might expect to hear in Rivendell.
Gregorian Chant - when you really, really need to concentrate.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Probably not elf music but I really like listening to this album ATM... http://youtu.be/JmdP5U2o-as

I've never really been very knowledgable about music genres but the Sons of Anarchy sound track had some cool stuff on it. I like that chilled out rock music sound I guess, although there are some cool songs in many genres out there.

Wood Elves would be listening to folk music, probably with harps and lullabies or high tempo fiddles and jigs with hand drums and tamberines, I imagine it would be hypnotic as they would have had a long time to perfect their art.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Common Froggy, are you saying Woodies don't wanna listen to Rammstein? :lol:

I guess for a "Wood Elfy" mood I would go with Loreena Mckinnit, Enya and Clannad.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

I always preferred the more feral side of the Asrai fluff, so any Pagan Neofolk, Dark Neofolk, or really any variety of Neofolk that stays mostly acoustic will do the trick, really. In that vein, Wardruna are a fantastic choice, as are:

Faun
Omnia
Stille Volk
Empyrium (Their non-metal albums anyway)
Solanaceae
Darkwood

Those are just a few. For me, straight up folk music, especially UK folk, feels a little too "village fête" for Wood Elves, or else the composition is just too modern. Classical music rarely works - few pieces are both of the right tone and instrumentation. Much metal, particularly folk metal, has the right atmosphere, but the wrong instrumentation. Most other music is far too modern in almost every way to evoke the right feeling for me.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Ska. Wood elves listen to ska.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Back when I was engaged in the hobby, I listened to lots of classic rock when painting. Such as Queen, ACDC, Thin Lizzy, KISS, Van Halen etc. It keeps me active and won't allow me to fall asleep. I doubt Asrai would listen to such music though.

~ Naggie