Width of Cav Base.

Moderator: Council of Elders

How do you treat the Cavalry bases width?

24 mm
3%
25 mm
55%
You've sniffed to much glue it really is 25 mm wide.
35%
23 mm
8%

Total votes: 40

popisdead
Former Council Member

Width of Cav Base.

Post by popisdead »

Cavalry bases are only 24 mm, so when your dryads hit 5 knights in the front, theoretically you don't get 7 in B2B as you'll be off by 5 mm if one side is lined up properly.

I know a few people who just line them up and assume the cav base is the same as a 25 square, and others who are really persistent on the cav base being smaller claiming it is a design.
Leigh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Leigh »

cav bases should be 25mm. anyone who says different is wrong. it just doesn't make sense to have 20mm, 25mm and 24mm bases. what they probably did is shave the bottom off the bases so that it is smaller (as we all know the sides are slanted inwards so if you grind the bottom completely even for a period of time the base will end up being smaller). i mean really any games designer who does make their bases so that models can't line up evenly has a serious problem. alternatively those who have smaller bases may have had a poor quality casting.

note - i haven't measured my bases but i have never had the problem of the models not lining up and the logic of it is kinda, well, logical.
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

They are actually about 23 mm. I usually treat them as 25 anyway.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

The official sheet with all the base sizes on it says that cavalry are 25x50. So I treat them as such.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

The bases really are 23 mm wide, although I play them as 25mm wide to determine who gets in base contact with them. I also added a 23mm option in the poll.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Heatseek3r
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Heatseek3r »

What does it matter if it's 23, 24 or 25 mm?
American Heritage Dictionary

Armour = A defensive covering, as of metal, wood, or leather, worn to protect the body against weapons.

I leave rules-arguments to people with more spare time on their hands than me.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

All infantry on 25mm bases will not get in contact with the 23mm bases of cavalry, thus having cavalry is a pro as it rends less attacks back at you. It is also important when you're making these movement trays to fit your units.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

I have in my possession the official base size reference sheet, and all cavalry bases are listed as having the dimesions of 25x50. In my experiences, nobody has ever even noticed the millimeter of difference, or tried to apply it to the rule of base to base contact, and anyone who does it just being foolish. <_<
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

Ithildir Hawk-eye wrote:In my experiences, nobody has ever even noticed the millimeter of difference,
Oh, I've seen people notice - when trying to squeeze old models in a movement tray made according to new ones...
Deathjester
Painting Guru

Post by Deathjester »

I make movement trays (5 cav) 128mm wide so that there is room for error & room for sand to go over the edges slightly.

Ignoring what size they really are I assume they are 25mm as that's what the base chart says.
Here's the jig, you don't have to agree with what i say, you can tell me that you don't... Just don't expect me to care.

popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Heatseek3r wrote:What does it matter if it's 23, 24 or 25 mm?
erm,.... if it's 23 you can get less people attacking you??

Anyway thanks muchly! 25 mmis what rational people are saying.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

It IS 23 mm wide, but counts as 25mm.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Kareith
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Kareith »

it may be 23mm wide (haven't measured) but the book says it's 25mm. either a printing error that'll come up in FAQ or they'll just leave it at 25mm. IMO 25mm cav bases are better. WR get more in combat, and dryads get more in too.
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by ihatecoldweather »

It's supposed to be 25mm but the bases are actually 23 mm wide. Just compare the width of dryad bases to GR bases and it's pretty obvious. I wonder why GW produces them to be 23mm wide? Perhaps to save $?...
Johnny_m
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Johnny_m »

ihatecoldweather wrote:It's supposed to be 25mm but the bases are actually 23 mm wide. Just compare the width of dryad bases to GR bases and it's pretty obvious. I wonder why GW produces them to be 23mm wide? Perhaps to save $?...
You monstrous idiot. haha, save money by shaving 2mm off a plastic base?
There could be a number of reasons

1) They've noticed, but as with all plastics, the cost of making a new mould is in the tens of thousands, and for an issue so useless it doesnt justify the cost.

2) Nobodys noticed, cuz its just not that important

3) Slottabases are oooooooooooold, and over time a mould might shrink. It might be interesting to see if anyones got any really old ones how big they are?

Alternatively, if anyone on here has ever attempted their own casting, you'd know that evey time you make a mould you get a certain degree of shrinkage. Possibly the old mould broke or got too work to use, or simply wasnt compatible with the new C+C Machines, and they took a casting off an existing slottabase to make the new one, and inevitably the new mould shrank by a few mm.

4) Or maybe you are right and the decimal pennies saved on each and every cavalry model really adds up...muahahahahaha.....geez its a toy soldier company, not Nestle.

If anyone is overly concerned that they are being robbed of a few mm in each game, possibly implement a house rule where cavalry models are measured to and from their movement tray? Surely that would make up the defecit?

The alternative is to just get on with it.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

i've never measured the bases and i probably never will i just always assume they're 25mm because thats what it says they're supposed to be
i've also never noticed that it gives any sort of bonus or disadvantage when it comes to B2B contact
think about it...if you have a 5 wide cav. unit thats a frontage of 115mm (if they are really 23mm....) which is only 10mm smaller than a 5 wide unit of, say, chaos warriors - they'll still all get into base contact!!! so it doesnt deny any attacks at all!!!!!!!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

think about it...if you have a 5 wide cav. unit thats a frontage of 115mm (if they are really 23mm....) which is only 10mm smaller than a 5 wide unit of, say, chaos warriors - they'll still all get into base contact!!! so it doesnt deny any attacks at all!!!!!!!
Sure it does. What if you face a seven wide Chaos Warrior unit? Then the same five would fight, and only one would be able to get in corner-to-corner instead of two.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Nagathi wrote:It IS 23 mm wide, but counts as 25mm.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel

Uh... I wasn't arguing the base width, I was explaining the reason it makes a difference to the poster I quoted.

Also this thread has gotten 'way' out of hand, can somone lock it please????
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

why does it matter? its says its 25 mm on the base size referance chart, so play it as 25 mm. I cant see why you would play it otherwise, unless your so obsessed about winning youll use any adavndtage possible..
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Sure it does. What if you face a seven wide Chaos Warrior unit? Then the same five would fight, and only one would be able to get in corner-to-corner instead of two.
ok point taken sorry about that
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

Just so I don't have to start a new thread...anyone know the dimension of a Dragon Base now??? is it 50mmx50mm?
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

dragon is currently 50x50, smaller monsters like ogres are 40x40
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

Topic Locked.
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin