Wardancers V. Dryads

Moderator: Council of Elders

Galadrin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galadrin »

I see Dryads as a totally defensive unit. They can sit out in the open and take tons of missiles (T4, 5+ Ward Save, Skirmish), are relatively cheap (I mean their point cost is as cheap as a model gets for Wood Elves) so are thus relatively numerous (and expendable). On top of all that, they cause Fear (their best rule!), so as to hold off enemies another turn or two from charging, due to failed Fear tests. Their Fear is rather useless when used as an aggressive unit, since they will practically never outnumber the enemy, and let's face it, the "if charging a fear causer" part of the rule is by far the most powerful, outside of the outnumbering rule of course (which we don't get to use that often).

Wardancers are so clearly an offensive unit. With a measly 6+ Ward Save and T3, they can't stand up to archery so they can't sit out in the open as a defensive wall, but must instead sneak up and strike precisely. Due to Wardancer weapons, Wardancers are much better on the charge than they are when being charged. Their Immune to Psychology disallows them from the Wood Elves' best charge reaction (Flee), but gives them the greatest advantage against Fear/Terror causing units when charging. Lastly, they are not numerous, so you have to be the one choosing the combats they get into, and their small base size (as mentioned) allows them to dominate that one combat before other enemies have a chance to pull a flank charge.

This is one of the reasons I really like the new book, the different uses of Dryads and Wardancers are soooo clear to me.
ihatecoldweather
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

dd

Post by ihatecoldweather »

the main tatical difference is the damage.

While dryads are most obviously the better choice in most occasions, consider this:

for a 100 mm edge, you have 5 wardancers to 4 dryads.

Let's say both units charge a WS 4 unit.

The wardancers will have 15 attacks, 10 hit

The dryads will have 8 attacks, 4 hit

Basically the wardancer's role is to concentrate damage.

:D I'm glad the role distinction between the 2 units is better than in chronicles.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

i agree with what most people have said already. i include both dryads and wardancers in my armies but if one unit gets dropped its usually the dryads simply because wardancers have access to abilities (dances) that can allow them to deal effectively with a wider variety of enemy units
also i think the wardancer models are a lot nicer than the dryad models and i love the idea of mad elves jumping and leaping over the heads of enemies!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog