Archiving and reorganizing?

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Archiving and reorganizing?

Post by godswearhats »

All,

With the advent of the new book, I intend to archive the LEAF tactica. I think we can all agree this makes sense, given that the new book will invalidate some (but not all) of the info in there. Updates can be made by their authors and then I'll put them back in the non-archived section.

However, there's been a bit of debate among the Council about how much of the rest of the site we should archive. We're kind of split into three sections:
  • Forums about the site / intros
  • Forums about the game
  • Forums about the hobby / other stuff
While we could archive all three sections, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. We could just archive the forums about the game, but where would the cutoff point be - posts that have had no responses since the start of the year, maybe? Or we could have no archiving at all and just let things keep going.

One of the benefits of archiving is that we're going to see a lot of new players (and returning old players), and having a clean(er) slate may help them feel like they are part of the community more quickly, and encourage greater contribution - it can be intimidating joining in when there are so many posts and its hard to know what's worth reading! We could potentially revamp the forums altogether - merging some, and splitting others - in case people feel like we could be better organized for easier entry into the community.

On the downside, there's definitely effort involved for yours truly and other mods/admins in making the archiving happen. There's also that inherent fear of change :-)

What do you think?
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
wildZguy09
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves, space marines

Re: Archiving and reorganizing?

Post by wildZguy09 »

Its a nice idea to reorganize this site. Heres my 2 cents
godswearhats wrote:
  • Forums about the site / intros Too be honest i don't think this should be archived at all as the intros may make new comers feel part of a growing community maybe archive older ones? Also site info is usually important
  • Forums about the game Keep some of the more recent ones lets say this year maybe up to the middle of last year
  • Forums about the hobby / other stuff Grove of tails and meadow of arts maybe should be archived less than the rest
~gwh

Over all my opinion is Admin section stays the same maybe slight archiving, General discussion mostly archived as its going to be busy with all the new rules and outsider mostly archived except for meadow of arts and grove of tails (mabye a bit) as they are still relevant even with the new book.

Merging stuff i honestly don't know but for just an idea you could move a lot of the stuff into a 7th edition like the have done over at http://www.ulthuan.net

Looks like hard work for you mods good luck :)
Beastweaver + Tree man ancient = S9+T9+A9. Yay :)
pip
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WOOD ELVES

Post by pip »

I don't see the need to archive the hobby section. I don't see the new book invalidating the old posts.

Also as a new member I don't mind the extensive old posts. However I have no intention of reading posts about the current book except for to search for answers to things I am trying to remember. Archiving the game section would certainly clean it up making it easier to browse once articles on the new book start to appear.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Thanks for the feedback. We're still discussing among the council, but should have a final decision in the next day or so.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Andrew
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Andrew »

I'd say revamp the intros to be relevant to this edition, same with the LEAF and everything else rules-related.

Relegate old edition game/rules discussions that have no bearing moving forward (such as complete rules changes) to the retired 7th ed. bin. Revamp them for the new edition where appropriate.

Hobby/other stuff is fine as it is, though collecting some into themes would be nice. Like, having a thread listing the seasons, and having links under each to specific posters' painting threads would be super awesome (unless it's already there).

When I first came here, there was a wealth of knowledge...concerning older editions. Long, well-written threads were absolutely useless and overwhelming to me, and with so little traffic I wondered if there was any 8th edition articles at all. Also, it was difficult to find the right place for the right thread at first. Fluffy names are fun, but the description on what's inside should be front and center. It's a shame that nobody wrote anything about the special characters, as they seemed so fun to use.

If I were to volunteer anything, it'd be write ups on the SC and maybe how to make them awesome.

Personally, I think the Tomb Kings forum (LINK) is a fantastic example of clear, awesome organization and presentation.