Thinking about selling glade guard

Moderator: Council of Elders

jambalaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Thinking about selling glade guard

Post by jambalaya »

Hello all,

With the rumour of new Wood Elves coming soon, I am kicking around the idea of re-vamping my current existing forces. With almost two years of painting experience under my belt, I think I could probably do a better job than I did previously, as posted here in this thread.

My idea right now is sell the glade guard models that I have currently and start fresh with new boxes. Glade guards usually take bulk of my list, and over few months, the more I think about my previous painting jobs with the glade guard, the more it has been bothering me. I just find that it is too late for me to do anything for me to have the glade guard models look better than they are now. That is unless if anyone could suggest any ideas or tips.

I have a local tourney coming up in less than two months, so I won't be taking the woodies for this one. I will be taking the Empire army that I have converted/painted over past nine months (pics are here). This should however give me an ample amount of time to think about how I would like to have the new wood elf army look like. I also have 25 models of wardancers sitting in a box waiting to be painted...so that should also provide me with chances to start everything new.

Anyways, just want to hear about what others has to say about this. Thank you.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Re: Thinking about selling glade guard

Post by brechttomme »

I wouldn't advise on selling them now. You'll likely still need (a lot of) Glade Guard when the new book comes out. If it's really only the paint job you want to improve, it might be beneficial to strip them and repaint them. Rather than selling them and having to buy new models.

There are many ways to easily strip paint off miniatures, just make sure the process is meant for plastic miniatures and not the metal ones, as paint strippers for metal may corrode/melt the plastic. I stripped my full Tomb Kings army about 2 years ago and have repainted a lot of it in a new colour scheme, and there is no sign of damage at all. They look exactly as if they were newly assembled out of the box. There was minor discolouration after the stripping but that obviously disappears when you cover it with paint. I personally used undiluted Dettol (the brown, antiseptic kind). I let the miniatures sit in the Dettol overnight (there isn't really a time limit) and then the paint (and, unfortunately, the basing as well, but that is unpreventable) just came off. Any bits of paint left between the ribs of skeletons and such, I just cleaned off with a toothbrush. Keep in mind this will totally destroy the toothbrush, and also make sure the model does NOT touch water as long as there is paint on it. You can rinse off excess Dettol with water after all the paint has been removed, but if the paint touches water, it'll turn into a sticky goo that won't come off any more. An obvious bonus to substances like Dettol is that they are reusable, even if there are flakes of old paint floating around in it. I mean, I wouldn't use it to clean your house, but you can use it to strip any future models if necessary.

I hope this was helpful :nod:
Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

Post by Kojibear »

I will support what Brechttomme said.

Stripping miniatures saves a lot of money and the end result is just the same as buying new miniatures.

If you are unable to get your hands on Dettol, Simple Green works pretty well. If both of these are not unavailable just search the net or ask the Asrai and I am sure someone will be able to give you some more options.

I have found a soft nylon brush to be useful to. They can be bought at any hardware store. The bristles are a bit sturdier than a tooth brush and can speed up the process of getting the paint off of the mini if the initial soak in the Dettol/Simple Green wasn't enough. Just be careful not to scrub too hard and buy the softest nylon.

So to recap:

Put the minis in a container - like an old plastic icecream tub - and fill it with the stripping liquid. Put a lid on if you have one to stop spillage.

Wait overnight or a bit longer if the paint is really old and stubborn.

Then let the stripping ommence ;)

Goodluck :)
jambalaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jambalaya »

Hi brechttomme and kojibear, thank you for your advices. I had a similar experience, where I tried to strip off some primers with simple green, which is available here in the Canadian hardware stores. It didn't work as I had hoped...I had put the models in simple green for almost a week, and the primer just never came off. Is there a certain condition that goes with dettol? For example, temperature or acidity...might just give Dettol a try. Thanx again for your tips.
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

I am not buying or selling anything until the dust settles next month.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by brechttomme »

I used Dettol simply because that was the easiest to get access to. I live in Belgium, so there's no Simple Green here, but then again, there are many more alternatives you can find if you search the web for a while. I'm sure there are many Asrai here who have more experience in stripping paint as well. As for the conditions, I really don't remember. I submerged the models in the liquid in an open tub (if you can call it that), and just put it in the bathroom next to the sink overnight. I don't know if it was summer or winter but I think the temperature was pretty much your standard room temperature, i.e. 20 degrees Celsius or so. I would like to mention, though, that I've heard some products can cause damage to the models if you expose them for too long. In my case, I left the final batch of models in the Dettol for over a week (because I didn't want to take them out... yes, I was that lazy :paranoid: ), and they were just as good as the others.

I do just need to stress, once again, don't let the Dettol-paint touch water! I had an unfortunate encounter with a chariot that I wouldn't wish on anyone else :p. So, make sure that the Dettol is undiluted if you do plan on using it.
Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

Post by Kojibear »

jambalaya wrote:I had put the models in simple green for almost a week, and the primer just never came off.
It will be very difficult indeed to get the primer off, especially if it is spray primer. I have not had any real trouble spraying over the primer, with minimal or no loss of detail on the repaint. Perhaps the nylon brush rather than a toothbrush will help remove more of the primer. Good luck if you choose to strip the minis. :)
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Dettol can be diluted but you have to put washing up liquid in there first or it will curdle and make the paint possible to get off. I have also heard that Fairy Power Spray works very well and has the dual advantages of not smelling foul and of not curdling when water gets into it.
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Don't. They will probably be more expensive if changed at all. You might even have to buy the old models for a higher price. Strip the models instead and repaint them if you really need to.
jambalaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jambalaya »

hi folks, thanks for all your helpful replies. So let me ask you one more question...when I am stripping down the paints, am I looking to strip all the way down including the primer, or just the layer paints?
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

IT depends on the Primer. If it is GW's own it should come off no bother, if it is army painter it will have chemically bonded to the plastic and while you can get some of it off you can't get it all off. That's certainly the experience I've had with their black anyway.
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by brechttomme »

Same here: the GW primer I used came off easily with the Dettol. Hope it helps! :thumbsup:
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

Why do you have to strip what is already acceptable?
I saw your painted units, they are not that bad. Actually I think they are quite good.
The only thing I would change is the fury looking basing.
Change them to a crisper looking base and see what happens.
Re base them is my suggestion.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
jambalaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jambalaya »

hey Allendor, many thanks for your compliments :)

Unfortunately, the pictures of the units I posted are few of 51 or so glade guards that I painted...and if you see most of the units close enough, you can't see the details like facial feature. also, there are lots of spots that just look like some blob of paints have been dropped on the model (i.e. areas that are not neatly painted)...when I first started painting GW models, I wasn't aware of the fact that it is always better to use thin coats of paints rather than thick coats...so I want to re-try the attempts, only this time try to control the amounts of paints that I use...and also change the color scheme a little bit.