Continuing my Wood Elves

Moderator: Council of Elders

Atropos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Continuing my Wood Elves

Post by Atropos »

Hi there, I'm back to Fantasy (been off because of studies) and I'm so glad our Wood Elves are getting a new book soon!

The thing is, I just own a couple of things: 2 boxes of Glade Guard, 2 boxes of Dryads, 1 box of Glade Riders, 1 Treeman and 1 SpellWeaver.

Do you think they will keep those models? So, if they do, is it a good starting point to continue with my woodies?

Many thanks.
wildZguy09
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves, space marines

Re: Continuing my Wood Elves

Post by wildZguy09 »

Welcome back to the woods

The models are our life-blood pretty much so i very doubt they will get rid of them. Games-workshop rarely ditch models so they will still be there (just in what state :D ) To continue i would contiune look around a bit on this forum as i have found out its more so what you want
a fast hitting army grab some wild riders or war dancers
Some troops that can take a beating some treekin

Take my advice with a pinch of salt and if you want some super great advice wait for the cavalry (the people that are way better then me :nod: ) They will be here soon
Beastweaver + Tree man ancient = S9+T9+A9. Yay :)
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Those wont be going anywhere and that's a good start. That will make 3 units of 10 GG with 2 left over and 3 units of 8 dryads? add the treeman for rare, Level 3 Spell weaver for General and then use the unit of 8 glade riders. it's a solid start and probably a 1500 point army around there. If you want things to add before the book I can assume Treekin wont change much and they give you a slightly tougher unit to soak up attacks and can also dish them out.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Atropos wrote:Hi there, I'm back to Fantasy (been off because of studies) and I'm so glad our Wood Elves are getting a new book soon!

The thing is, I just own a couple of things: 2 boxes of Glade Guard, 2 boxes of Dryads, 1 box of Glade Riders, 1 Treeman and 1 SpellWeaver.

Do you think they will keep those models? So, if they do, is it a good starting point to continue with my woodies?

Many thanks.
Welcome back Atropos, I saw your post on warseer too, its great you're breathing some new life into your wood elves.

What you have there is pretty much the core of my army at around the 2k points range, 3 units of glade guard and 2-3 units of dryads gives you a solid foundation to build on. I'm pretty confident in saying that the existing plastics won't be going anywhere, but we will almost certainly get a new treeman model with the new army book (when it comes).

If you are looking for things to buy next I would recommend looking at anything in the range that is currently metal or finecast, if there is anything you want I would advise ordering it now, any or all of the current metal/finecast models could be replaced with a new release so if you think you might want any of them now is the time to buy (I'm thinking mainly of characters at the point but if you really are in love with the current Wardancers for example I'd go for them too).

Something else you could look at is getting a set of the plastic eagles from the Hobbit range, put them on square bases and they scale just fine in warhammer and two eagles are a standard part of most army lists for wood elves, plus they're beautiful models.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Atropos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Atropos »

Thank you so much for your answers, those were all very helpful!

I guess I have a nice core with which to expand my army.
Although, not willing to take risks, I'll wait and see what comes out before purchasing anything.

Here's another Bow willing to defend Athel Loren!