Wood Elves..my speculation for the new book.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Wood Elves..my speculation for the new book.

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I would only like to see wardancers and eternal guard get first strike if we do get it.

I've already made the decision that if we do get it, only lords, heroes and wardancers and eternal guard get it. For my army that is.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Jamesaet3 wrote:I would only like to see wardancers and eternal guard get first strike if we do get it.

I've already made the decision that if we do get it, only lords, heroes and wardancers and eternal guard get it. For my army that is.
Why asf is now as elfy as t3 s3 i5
iampetty
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by iampetty »

Jamesaet3 wrote:I would only like to see wardancers and eternal guard get first strike if we do get it.

Wild Riders should get it as well. But yeah, I sort of agree that army wide ASF is dumb. Unfortunately that's just standard now for elves.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I like that elves have asf. I think that it shows their speed & agility, an area that compensates for their lack of strength & toughness. If we were all S5 T4, with awesome armour, then it would be broken, but slim agile finesse is what makes them appeal to me.
The trees won't get it anyway.

I don't think we need more monstrous infantry, especially since we have the best in the game. Alters, even if they all get magic strength bolt-thrower style bows should stay infantry (20x20mm) size. At least no more than (25x25mm). But if they were going to make a unit of elite archers why not just make the Way watchers better.

@Phil Rossiter- My mistake with the quick to fire, I knew it was S&S from any distance without penalty, move/ (maybe march) & shoot without penalty. I don't know why I thought it was any angle. *Puts Dunce hat on* :lol:

War machines aren't really theme fitting, so I don't think we'd get repeater bolt throwers. I don't think I'd use them if we did.
Just because HE & DE get a unit type I don't think we should...except DRAGON! We should have a DRAGON! :p Haha!
A universal Elf rule is one thing, but if we start getting repeater bolt throwers/a "sisters of something" kit/spear & shield units etc. then we are just "Green Flavour" Elves. A pallet swap. Being guerilla, having the support of the tree units and lacking the war machines & legions of organised armoured troops changes our play-style.
It would be cool if a Treeman had a stone thrower upgrade but that is still pretty unsophisticated. Not like a machine that was constructed to use in the dense forest.

@Coyle- I like the bow idea and what you said about their precision over volley fire. A S4 bow with quick to fire would definitely bring us back on the playing field for greatest archers. It would be really cool if a waywatcher character could have sniper or heroic killing blow. It wouldn't be too OP as it would only be 1 S4 shot at BS7. :D

BTW I didn't mean to rant :p Haha!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Gwill I agree with a lot of what you said. I believe we have the same view of Wood elves.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

Speaking of best archers in world, I already mentioned that idea a couple of times. I know it is not going to happen, but anyways. WE should be able to shoot in a CC as long as they have a clear line of sight on the enemy unit. It is just soooooo picturesque. (you could even add the casualties from the archers to the result of the CC). Not going to happen, but I still think it would be pretty awesome.
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Well regardless of the rules someone is going to have to write the new Wood Elf Codex, someone from GW is going to have to write it.

So, who do we want it to be?

I want Matt Ward

because I think he will bring more of the hidden watchers instead of the chaos looking sprites deamon they are now. He made the new Necron book and they are AWESOME!
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Well regardless of the rules someone is going to have to write the new Wood Elf Codex, someone from GW is going to have to write it.

I want Matt Ward

because I think he will bring more of the hidden watchers instead of the chaos looking sprites deamon they are now. He made the new Necron book and they are AWESOME!
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I want Matt Ward

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

Crap so sorry guys I hit the submit button one too many times, I didn't see that it was thinking. my fault. put me in full plate for twenty four hours for lack of discipline.

No worries ~ Beithir ;)
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Jamesaet3 wrote:Well regardless of the rules someone is going to have to write the new Wood Elf Codex, someone from GW is going to have to write it.

I want Matt Ward

It's fairly solidly rumored that he wrote all three of the Elven books
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

oh..
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Its not rumored its confirmed
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Judging from that artwork link, it looks like Wild Riders will be on Stags!
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

...I'm hoping that the Wild Riders will be on Stags as Standard and that there will still be a Monstous Cavalry release in the form of Warhawks/Owls!

I pray to Kurnous! :p
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Gwill_of_the_Woods wrote:...I'm hoping that the Wild Riders will be on Stags as Standard and that there will still be a Monstous Cavalry release in the form of Warhawks/Owls!

I pray to Kurnous! :p
I think if the artwork we have seen is from the new book then it basically debunks the Faeit rumour about the owls. If Wild riders are getting redone (and as a hybrid metal/plastic kit they should be at the front of the queue) then together with the treeman that only allows one more plastic kit in the release, and my feeling is that it will be for at least one of the three infantry units that are still in metal.

'Owls' always smelt a bit fishy as a rumour because its been wish listed for months.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Quite right Findecano :)
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

It's going to be interesting to see what new plastic kits we get. Wardancers, wild riders, waywatchers, warhawk riders and eternal guard all need to be redone in order to follow GW's trend of all plastic. Problem is there is very little overlap there. Wardacers and Waywatchers could probably be a duel kit, but other than that. It might be possible to release an eternal guard upgrade sprue for the glade guard kit, but it's just looking like a big release in order to plasticize the whole line. I'd expect one or two character clam packs, maybe a new Orion sculpt, new characters, etc. Gonna be an exciting few months.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

I can't see another Orion sculpt. The one we have is AWESOME SAUCE! :D My favourite model and one of the main hooks to get me into Wood Elves! :nod:
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

I think they could make the stags into a dual kit.. Keep Wild Riders as a Special choice, fast cav with appropriate rule/point adjustments, then they could make the Priests of Kurnous a Rare choice. They could even provide armoured horse heads for the WR and Stag heads for the PoK.

PoK could get charge bonuses (impact hits, extra Strength etc), maybe one of the unit bound spells etc. They would have a higher Toughness, no Fast Cav rule, Stubborn, Multiple wounds and something to deal with high T/Armoured enemy units.
Make that the unit that can house Orion, by giving them a rule that allows him to receive "Look out Sir" from them or something.

They could both be on Cav bases. But then you wouldn't receive any bonuses for being MC though. Hmmm... :confused:

I hope they keep the Wild Riders high mobility, fast cav. I suspect there may be a character option like a Wild Rider kindred or Priest of Kurnous that has the rules to join the relevant units.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

The problem with making wild riders/stag riders a dual kit is that stags and horses are very different in body shape, the tails are very different as well and stags are cloven hoofed animals where horses aren't. However in the leaked artwork there is an early version where the riders don't have such a big helm, while I don't think it's any more than the artist being asked to make a few adjustments it is *possible* that both the wild riders and priests of Kurnos could ride the stags and be a dual kit that way.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

To be fair, it wouldn't be impossible to make the hooves, heads and tails interchangeable, but I take the point that it would be far less effort to have the same mount for both varients (which sounds like GW to me).
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
-dragon-
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by -dragon- »

Has anyone thought about what might happen to our Unicorns?
My guess: We'll get a Priests of Kurnous Character on a Unicorn (or at least with the option for that), that is supposed to complement the Stag Riders seen on the new cover. I would also guess that this character is combat focused, while having some specialized sort of magic ability, much like the High Elf Loremaster. I'd also guess this Model to be about... 40$ maybe? :P
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Findecano »

-dragon- wrote:Has anyone thought about what might happen to our Unicorns?
My guess: We'll get a Priests of Kurnous Character on a Unicorn (or at least with the option for that), that is supposed to complement the Stag Riders seen on the new cover. I would also guess that this character is combat focused, while having some specialized sort of magic ability, much like the High Elf Loremaster. I'd also guess this Model to be about... 40$ maybe? :P
I'm not sure a CC character on a unicorn really works, more likely to be a mount for a Mage character as unicorns are portrayed as less savage-aggressive, more mystical/magical.

If we get any character on a unicorn at all I will be surprised, we already know wood elves are getting a super-limited release like dwarfs/Lizardmen did, I think its more likely that unicorns might be removed altogether because there are no models in the existing WE range for them.
iampetty
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by iampetty »

Yeah, Unicorns are basically exclusively for magic users because they're so elusive that they won't let anyone else close enough.