Protection of Noble on Eagle

Moderator: Council of Elders

Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Protection of Noble on Eagle

Post by Soltari »

Hi, I just wonder what protection do you prefer for your Noble on Eagle? Which of these items?

Amaranthine Brooch
Stone of Rebirth
Stone of the Crystal Mere

Thnak you.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Protection of Noble on Eagle

Post by Mollesvinet »

Favorite builds, all with great weapons, shield and light armor unless another magical armor is taken:

Armor of destiny -> 3+ armor save and a solid 4++

Stone of crystal mere + helm of the hunt -> 3+ armor, but more offensive but breakable ward

amaranthine brooch + dragonhelm -> oldschool 3+ armor, 3++ against non magical and 2++ against flaming. Lacks against non-flaming magical attacks which is why i didn't bring him much lately

Stone of rebirth + charmed shield -> 4+ armor, safe against first cannonball which could kill him without a ward, best ward once he reaches 1 wound
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Every now and then I throw out Merciw's Locus (no weapon strength bonus, magical or mundane, for bearer or attackers), Sword of Striking (+1 to hit) with a charmed Shield (2+ ward vs first hit) & Lt armor. Bounces the first cannonball/bolt and once you get stuck in with a bunch of great weapon wielders who's natural strength is 3 you get the fun and satisfaction of listening to wailing and gnashing of teeth while they go dink, dink, dink against your S4, T4 Noble and stomping eagle. Meanwhile you're coming back with 6 S4 attacks/round. If you can get this guy into the flank of a unit of greatweapon or halberd weilding T3 High/Dark Elves.... ;) :thumbsup:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Mollesvinet wrote:Favorite builds, all with great weapons, shield and light armor unless another magical armor is taken:

Armor of destiny -> 3+ armor save and a solid 4++

Stone of crystal mere + helm of the hunt -> 3+ armor, but more offensive but breakable ward

amaranthine brooch + dragonhelm -> oldschool 3+ armor, 3++ against non magical and 2++ against flaming. Lacks against non-flaming magical attacks which is why i didn't bring him much lately

Stone of rebirth + charmed shield -> 4+ armor, safe against first cannonball which could kill him without a ward, best ward once he reaches 1 wound
Which build does work best for you? I used the "brooch build" a lot, but not sure if one of the "stone build" would be better.
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Billthesurly wrote:Every now and then I throw out Merciw's Locus (no weapon strength bonus, magical or mundane, for bearer or attackers), Sword of Striking (+1 to hit) with a charmed Shield (2+ ward vs first hit) & Lt armor. Bounces the first cannonball/bolt and once you get stuck in with a bunch of great weapon wielders who's natural strength is 3 you get the fun and satisfaction of listening to wailing and gnashing of teeth while they go dink, dink, dink against your S4, T4 Noble and stomping eagle. Meanwhile you're coming back with 6 S4 attacks/round. If you can get this guy into the flank of a unit of greatweapon or halberd weilding T3 High/Dark Elves.... ;) :thumbsup:
This is really interesting idea. But not sure with points allowance, Sword of Striking is for 30 pts in our AB, isn´t it?
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

Light Armour, spear, shield, Dragonhelm, Stone of Rebirth, potion of foolishness

3+ as, 2+ ward vs flame, 2+ ward when on 1 wound.

Not going to tank it with the big boys, but as a support charge/cleaning out the back lines it does perfectly.
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

I recently decided that for me there are a few too many magical cannons (cannons having always been the biggest problem) around to be comfortable using the brooch any more. So I was using the stone of rebirth.

.......but now the bolt thrower is on the rise, so I'm kinda back at square one.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

Drstrangelove wrote:I recently decided that for me there are a few too many magical cannons (cannons having always been the biggest problem) around to be comfortable using the brooch any more. So I was using the stone of rebirth.

.......but now the bolt thrower is on the rise, so I'm kinda back at square one.
Remember if you are on full wounds and you get a cannonball (or single shot bolt thrower) to the face you do NOT get to use the Stone of Rebirth...that is where the Stone of Crystal Mere is better.

Stone of Rebirth is best for protection from BS shooting, or in combat. I prefer it because cannons aint going to be shooting your eagle noble when there is a treeman (or treekin) who are better targets.
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd thought the same but if Charmed Shield can cover you til you get into combat Rebirth might be decent. Might depend if the guy has BS shooting also.

The big trees are slow though. Whereas an eagle rider might demand to be shot T1.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

As others say, the brooch is getting too unreliable lately. Doesn't help that my main opponents are skaven and daemons.

I like the stone of rebirth, but i think it works better on a 2 wound model. Lately i have been using a wild rider noble with potion of strength + stone of rebirth to great effect. This way you don't have to worry about cannonballs or bolts as he has look-out-sir, and the strength 8 on the charge is very decent indeed!

For the eagle nobles i often take 2. One is armour of destiny, simply based on its stability. Lately the other one has been stone of crystal mere + helm of the hunt, though i am toying with the idea to change helm of the hunt into dragonhelm. Reason being if i can make a few saves at 2+ ward, it reduces the chances of me breaking the crystal.
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Thanks guys, you have just confirmed me that the brooch build is getting unreliable. I will probably stick to stone of crystal mere + helm of the hunt as they seem to me "the most welfish" :)

Do you mostly prefer great weapon to spear? Do you prolong fights more than 1 turn (so no +1 S for spear)? Do you feel +1 AS from shiled in close combat is really helpful? Or do you prefer +2 S all the time, your protection is ok and the ASL doesn´t metter?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I'd go Great Weapon.

You have to be able to kill things.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I always go for the great weapon. I tried spear out a few times, but simply found it a lackluster. Most targets for the great eagle noble nowadays have high toughness and armor. While strength 5 on the charge is decent, when he becomes strength 4 its simply not good enough.

Seeing as we already use all points of magic items for magical defense, then i personally feel we can endure the ASL.
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Ok, thanks for your posts. This will be my Noble on Great Eagle for next couple of battles:

Noble - Great Eagle, Stone of Crystal Mere + Helm of the Hunt + light armor, great weapon, shield - 183 pts

We will see. :)
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Soltari wrote:
Billthesurly wrote:Every now and then I throw out Merciw's Locus (no weapon strength bonus, magical or mundane, for bearer or attackers), Sword of Striking (+1 to hit) with a charmed Shield (2+ ward vs first hit) & Lt armor. Bounces the first cannonball/bolt and once you get stuck in with a bunch of great weapon wielders who's natural strength is 3 you get the fun and satisfaction of listening to wailing and gnashing of teeth while they go dink, dink, dink against your S4, T4 Noble and stomping eagle. Meanwhile you're coming back with 6 S4 attacks/round. If you can get this guy into the flank of a unit of greatweapon or halberd weilding T3 High/Dark Elves.... ;) :thumbsup:
This is really interesting idea. But not sure with points allowance, Sword of Striking is for 30 pts in our AB, isn´t it?
It's the 15pt sword that gives +1 to hit. Makes the most of the three attacks the Noble has. Usually wind up hitting most things on 2+.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Billthesurly wrote:
Soltari wrote:
It's the 15pt sword that gives +1 to hit. Makes the most of the three attacks the Noble has. Usually wind up hitting most things on 2+.
It is Sword of Striking (gives +1 to hit) and it is in BRB for 15 pts, but WE have it in their AB for 30 pts :(
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Even if sword of striking was only 15 points then i think the great weapon is a much better deal.

It only costs 4 points which is not out of magic item limit.

While sword of striking gives +1 to hit, a great weapon will in most cases give +2 to wound compared to basic strength. Furthermore it will make armor saves taken at -3 instead of just -1.

Sure you lose a point of armor, but even a 3+ save won't help alot against anything at strength 5+. Thats why we invest in the ward save in the first place.

Though i like the idea to use eagle characters to hold off blocks, and i even did so myself with a highborn featuring crown of command, then i think this is not the best role for the eagle characters. Glade guard can take care of most ranked up units, what we need eagle characters to kill is high toughness and high armor save targets.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

My somewhat standard build now is GW + LA + Shield + Dragonhelm + Stone of Rebirth. I throw this guy into pretty much any combat and hope that he gets to 1 wound, at which point he becomes a tarpit. Dragonhelm can be used to stall out a K'Daii destroyer and to fly directly down the face of Skullcannon.

Maybe not the optimal build, but I've had him hold up Frost Phoenixes by himself for most of a game (in one epic battle, he ended up fleeing from the Phoenix, then rallying and killing it when it charged him again). I'm kind of attached to him now and will be sad if we lose the Stone of Rebirth in the new book :-(
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Dark Elves getting a 3+ Ward item is ominous for us, I don't think they'll duplicate this.

But something like Rebirth or another tasty Talisman is likely I feel.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Mollesvinet wrote:Even if sword of striking was only 15 points then i think the great weapon is a much better deal.

It only costs 4 points which is not out of magic item limit.

While sword of striking gives +1 to hit, a great weapon will in most cases give +2 to wound compared to basic strength. Furthermore it will make armor saves taken at -3 instead of just -1.

Sure you lose a point of armor, but even a 3+ save won't help alot against anything at strength 5+. Thats why we invest in the ward save in the first place.

Though i like the idea to use eagle characters to hold off blocks, and i even did so myself with a highborn featuring crown of command, then i think this is not the best role for the eagle characters. Glade guard can take care of most ranked up units, what we need eagle characters to kill is high toughness and high armor save targets.
With Merciew's Locus there is no strength bonus for weapons - magical or mundane by weilder or attacker. So I go for the extra chance to hit. The Sword of Striking, Merciw's Locus combo is only for use in special situations but it really works a treat on somebody not expecting it. They NEVER expect an eagle noble to be a tar pit and sometimes he flat out beats them.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Billthesurly wrote:With Merciew's Locus there is no strength bonus for weapons...
But Potion of Strength would work with it, yes?
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Okay i forgot about Merciew's Lotus, in this case it makes more sense with the sword of striking. I still don't see the point of this character compared to the hard hitting eagle noble with a ward save, but maybe i need to be more open minded!

At least its good to see an alternative build in any case.