Wardancers with ASF rock!

Moderator: Council of Elders

Time of Madness
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wardancers with ASF rock!

Post by Time of Madness »

After playing some test games with my ETC based tourny list I've discovered Wardancers are very solid with ASF.

I've been running 2 small units of 7 with a bladesinger and they have surprised a lot of opponents.

With ASF and charging they come in with 22 S4 ASF (re-roll misses most cases) attacks. They have generated a ton of combat res and generally swing the combats in my favour. If you happen to run them up against a T3 infantry unit they will kill a ton of models!

They are still not as survivable as dryads, but definitely out perfrom them in combat now.

Time of Madness
"The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule."
- Robert Jordan
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Wardancers with ASF rock!

Post by Billthesurly »

ROCK AND ROLL! We are living in interesting times. We have in many places been allowed to use rules that "everybody knows" we are going to get in a new book. At the same time we can still benefit from magic items and rules written for a very old army book. These are the weird times and they will not last. Have as much fun with them as you can while you can because while our new book will (surely must) be better - this unique combination of old and new will soon be gone.

And you will sit on the greensward in the shade of the ancient oaks, fill your glass with nectar wine and remember that you were there - a denizen of Athel Loren - in the strange times before everything changed.

I raise my glass to the players all over the world who kept the flame alive through the dark years and continued using a "hopelessly outdated" army book because we had fun with it.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
quiestdeus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by quiestdeus »

Billthesurly wrote: I raise my glass to the players all over the world who kept the flame alive through the dark years and continued using a "hopelessly outdated" army book because we had fun with it.
Amen to this :thumbsup:

And OP, I absolutely agree. Wardancers and Wild Riders with ASF have been doing some serious massacring for me lately too.
jambalaya
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jambalaya »

I just ordered 5 boxes of wardancers to play skirmisher-galore 2,500 point list in upcoming tournament in June. Boy, am I glad I made decision to bring back the wardancers to my collection.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I just find the Wood Elf book feels better to play than that for my other army, High Elves. Power level is secondary.

Though I won't object if ASF etc make it a powerhouse come the summer...

:)
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Billthesurly wrote:I raise my glass to the players all over the world who kept the flame alive through the dark years and continued using a "hopelessly outdated" army book because we had fun with it.
It's getting really hard now though, I'm likely going to shelve mine until the new book arrives. The meta has changed to where our choices are really limited. Too much flaming magical multi-wound nastiness around to bring the treemen/treekin, too much armour for the standard S3 Eternal Guard/Wardancers.. it's really very hard to bring a list that might be able to compete. I wish more tournaments would use the ETC changes for Wood Elves.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

quiestdeus wrote:
Billthesurly wrote: I raise my glass to the players all over the world who kept the flame alive through the dark years and continued using a "hopelessly outdated" army book because we had fun with it.
Amen to this :thumbsup:
I second that! :D

I agree these are interesting times and even though I'm playing with unmodified WE rules (no comp), it'll still be sad to see all our beloved magic items go... But then, who knows what we'll get in the new book!

Now, on topic: I could see small units of WD with ASF being even better character killers than they are now. Striking first with possible rerolls while pumping out a ton of KB attacks is sure to worry most characters (only those Chaos Lords with a virtual 2+ Ward won't mind, I suppose). My main opponent is currently High Elves and if that stays the same, I'm sure ASF-Wardancers with extra attacks (assuming they still have dances) will simply mow down units of elite High Elven infantry. With their Great Weapons, Swordmasters and White Lions won't be striking first and if WD assault them with loads of S4 attacks - against all that T3 - yeah, that won't end well for the High Elves.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

I've been successfully using a squad of five with a champ to assinate those pesky 1+ AS characters. You can get 7 ASF Killing blows into a 20/25 mm base. With rerolls to hit it gives you a better than 50% chance to get a 6 to wound.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
albertoalter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by albertoalter »

I've been successfully using a squad of five with a champ to assinate those pesky 1+ AS characters. You can get 7 ASF Killing blows into a 20/25 mm base. With rerolls to hit it gives you a better than 50% chance to get a 6 to wound.
To kill 1+AS character, the champ is a bad idea. He can simply challenge him. 14 pt ti drop IMHO
Winter Wood Elves from 2005
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

albertoalter wrote:
To kill 1+AS character, the champ is a bad idea. He can simply challenge him. 14 pt ti drop IMHO
Champions never have to accept challenges, they can if they want to, but do not have to.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I'm thinking about changing my waywatchers for a squad of wardancers.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
albertoalter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by albertoalter »

Shandrakor wrote:
albertoalter wrote:
Champions never have to accept challenges, they can if they want to, but do not have to.
Ok, but so why spend 14 points ? Whit 18 I can get another war dancer.
Besides, tha champion can decline only if he can be moved away, or I'm doing something wrong ?
Winter Wood Elves from 2005
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

He can move away to the second rank.
6 war dancers 3X2 he will move to second rank :)
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

hutobega wrote:He can move away to the second rank.
6 war dancers 3X2 he will move to second rank :)
Which means there was no point taking him anyway. 6 wd in 2x3 gives 9 attacks anyway, all can hit the assassination target.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by hutobega »

i was just answering his question hehe but yes I wouldn't take a champ.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Champions don't have to go the back rank. It's in the BRB under Refusing a Challenge.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

hutobega wrote:He can move away to the second rank.
)
I believe and always has to be in the front rank.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by hutobega »

WHEN he refuses a challenge. sorry
EDIT: he will also not give supporting attacks upon refusal.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

As a champion he can decline with out having to move and can still fight! The reason you want the extra attack is to increase the number of killing blows delivered. 7 ASF strikes should average 5 hits with rerolls and five hits gives you ~60% chance of a six. The odds are worse with only 6 strikes. The point of the 5man dart is to keep your foes nervous about moving a high point character into charge range. And if they do it helps to present a legitimate threat, IMHO.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Ok, but even with 5 wd including champion you should have them in 2 ranks, as the 2 in the 2nd rank can make their supporting attacks against the character for 2 extra attacks.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I considered this unit (as per army book) vs human knight buses but rejected it because it doesn't work against elf ones.

Add in ASF though and it's in business.
ryanabt
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ryanabt »

I also salute you Billthesurly. I took WE to an uncomped tourney (not really comped at least. They did allow the BSB a bow) just this saturday. Lost 3 games (one was a crushing loss since I was playing perfectly and simply failed a ld test that resulted in the death of 750 points), but had a blast with the WE.

We never gave up!!!!!!!
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

albertoalter wrote:Ok, but so why spend 14 points ? Whit 18 I can get another war dancer.
Besides, tha champion can decline only if he can be moved away, or I'm doing something wrong ?
Champions are best used for taking on single characters. Dragon charges the unit? Challenge, character can't refuse, and he can only kill 1 model instead of thunderstomping the unit to death.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

I'm sure there is some complex psychology that fully explains people falling love with their abusers, but I have to say, as eager as I am to recieve a new army book for wood elves that will lift them out of their current pit of despair, I will miss the current army book because its by far the longest I have played with any single army book without a change. Its also the first army book that I bought on release day (along with the army deal boxed sets such as they were then) and played with ever since. I have a long personal history with the current wood elf book.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Findecano wrote:I'm sure there is some complex psychology that fully explains people falling love with their abusers
The Stockholm syndrome? Is this army keeping us hostage? :crazy:

Anyway, I haven't played this army nearly as long as some of you guys on here but I've fallen in love with it nonetheless. It'll be sad to see some things change but then, change is usually good! For some other strange psychological reason I do kind of hope we don't get boosted too much. There's just something about playing with an underdog army that makes it special, and much more gratifying when you do win a game. But hey, if we keep our current playstyle and don't turn into some regular block army I'll be happy. :nod: