Tip of the Month

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Tip of the Month

Post by Sidewinder »

I have a game scheduled later this week and my opponent and I had already rolled the terrain using the chart and guidance from the BRB. We had rolled a "6" and so will use the maximum terrain of ten pieces.

This morning I decided to write on 3x5" index cards the information for each piece of terrain that we will be using. For a normal hill, I printed only the information for "hill". For Temple of Skulls, I printed hill information and Temple of Skulls information and page reference. I made a separate card for each piece of terrain that we are using for Tuesday's game.

Having the cards already made will help reduce game speed lag. We can focus more on playing the game rather than looking up rules.

I created "Tip of the Month" topic because the 3x5" index card idea doesn't seem like it would generate much discussion on its own. And because other Asrai members probably have one-off tips that doesn't seem to fit anywhere specifically but would still like to share them.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Re: Tip of the Month

Post by hutobega »

"just the tip" hehe and that's a nice tip though my friends and I don't use special terrain too often though we should start. Another real tip...except for wood elves who don't have them yet...seriously buy the deck of magic cards...helps not only you with your offensive spells but also have his spells right in front of you.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Copy the quick referance sheet if you haven't yet learned all the stats by heart. I have a folder with referance sheets and list of important things to remember for each army I own (keep life mage + bsb within 12" of treemen, test for control over hellcannon at the start of each round, etc).
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

It is generally better to flee with any unit that can rather than stand and shoot. Obviously there are exceptions, but your first thought should be flee.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Post by irishfarmer »

hutobega wrote:"just the tip" hehe and that's a nice tip though my friends and I don't use special terrain too often though we should start. Another real tip...except for wood elves who don't have them yet...seriously buy the deck of magic cards...helps not only you with your offensive spells but also have his spells right in front of you.
UGH! My tip would be…create a new balanced chart that way tones down the magic aspects of the battlefield. That's what I am working on now. Every river shouldn't be able to destroy an entire unit with an effect, and not every forest should be magical. And how many anvils of vaul are there out there? Judging by my last four games there must be one every square mile!!! :p

Of course that's not really a tip…. More of a whine. So…

Here's my tip: I took small sections of plastic, big enough to fit 2 and 4 glade guard bases. I then affixed said would elves in such a way that they would fit better and they also don't flop as much. I know there are other, less drastic solutions, but I have tried the magnets (aggravating), and clipping my figures off old bases to put on newer, heavier ones or magnetized ones (Frustrating and too many ruined elf boots). Its worked out, so far, VERY nicely and I can move my trays without floppy elves.
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Game preparation for a game scheduled in advance.

If you and a friend have decided to play a game later in the week, you could determine the number and types of terrain in advance. This way the host, (you or your friend) can have the table ready for use on the game day.

Not only having terrain selected, you could use godswearhats map program (or any other popular map program) to deploy your forces during the preceding days leading to your game day.
The program could also be used for taking turns placing terrain. This way, when the scheduled day and time arrives, the host can have the table set and all his/her units already on the table when the visitor has arrived. The visitor can immediately place his/her units and the game can begin within a few minutes. This also gives both players a bit of time in advance to study the board and contemplate their opening moves.

Edited because I'm still horrible about getting my thoughts down properly.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW