What Model to use to Ride the Unicorn

Moderator: Council of Elders

thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Bretonnia, WoC, Ogres, Empire, VC, DoC, WE, HE, DE

What Model to use to Ride the Unicorn

Post by thesustainablecenter »

So the Unicorn model comes without a rider. What model have you guys used to mount on the unicorn? I have some damsels from Bretonnia that would work but there not wood elfy enough for me. Otherwise I have no clue what to use.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSustainableCenter
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal; its the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: What Model to use to Ride the Unicorn

Post by Kakapo42 »

I bought a Fey Enchantress to convert into my Spellsinger on a Unicorn. It's fairly easy to simply remove the fleur-de-lises and transplant her onto the unridden Unicorn. I have plans to swap out the body for that of a Spellweaver too to look more Wood-Elfey, but it's fast looking like that will be too complex and I'll have to settle for green-stuffing vines onto her dress.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

I have one of these converted into a unicorn. Looks pretty boss.
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

That's not bad at all. Looks like a dude though. IMO although men win real warhammer games with unicorns, they don't ride them. I need someone with huge boob's, like the Bretonnian damsel, to ride this majestic magic murder mount! I could try to sculpt cleavage, but that would be disastrous :tear: .
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal; its the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Kakapo42 wrote:I bought a Fey Enchantress to convert into my Spellsinger on a Unicorn. It's fairly easy to simply remove the fleur-de-lises and transplant her onto the unridden Unicorn. I have plans to swap out the body for that of a Spellweaver too to look more Wood-Elfey, but it's fast looking like that will be too complex and I'll have to settle for green-stuffing vines onto her dress.
I just got a fey enchantress. I'm a Bretonnian player first though and the thought of defiling the fey enchantress is too much to bare! I Damsel sure, but not the lady herself.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

thesustainablecenter wrote:
Kakapo42 wrote:I bought a Fey Enchantress to convert into my Spellsinger on a Unicorn. It's fairly easy to simply remove the fleur-de-lises and transplant her onto the unridden Unicorn. I have plans to swap out the body for that of a Spellweaver too to look more Wood-Elfey, but it's fast looking like that will be too complex and I'll have to settle for green-stuffing vines onto her dress.
I just got a fey enchantress. I'm a Bretonnian player first though and the thought of defiling the fey enchantress is too much to bare! I Damsel sure, but not the lady herself.
Hilariously enough I almost can't bare the thought either. I rationalised it though by deciding to get a second Fey Enchantress when (or at this stage if) I can and painting her up in proper Bretonnian Glory.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

If I can find another one for cheap I guess I'll defile her for WE glory. But even so she's too human for the WE theme for me.
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

If you can get a hold of the old female Wood Elf mage, she seems to be fairly easy to convert. I've seen a lot of people chop her at the waste and add in a pair of Glade Rider legs.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

Ive just got a glade rider standard conveted, but into a staff and a bow in the other hand
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

kakwah wrote:Ive just got a glade rider standard conveted, but into a staff and a bow in the other hand
Same here! All of my standard bearers have the crook style standard, but I converted a mounted beast-weaver out of a glade rider, I made a crown like Thranduil (from the latest Hobbit film) and gave her the spite looking standard. I painted her in a different theme from the rest of my army (lore of beast style colours).
She is only on an Elven steed but it would be a similar thing to make a unicorn rider. Also use some green stuff to add some distinctly magical features.

I agree about the Bret models looking too human though. They look broader faced.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

I used the floating WE sorceress with her arms out chopped in half and mounted on morathis mount. Works well enough.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Here's a link to the best unicorn I've seen...

http://taleoffourgeeks.co.uk/?p=843

:thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

That does look great but all that cutting seems to be able my skill level to make it look that good. And again another dude is on it. I like the idea with glade riders. I haven't bought any yet so it didn't even come to mind but if I take a female rider with a cool standard and put her on a unicorn then I'm most of the way there to my goal.
Sienna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Space Wolves, Tyranid, Wood Elves, someday Beastmen

Post by Sienna »

I'm not sure if you're still looking for elfy inspiration still, but i'll throw my hat in :P

I was originally going to use a Bretonnian model to convert to WE mage status, but then I looked on Amazon and browsed the Reaper models on there. I am a fan of this lady and I used her to make a spare WE mage for my army.

http://www.amazon.com/RPR03563-Tinley-F ... miniatures

She's the size of a regular wood elf and the "pewter" they use to make their models are easy to manipulate so I snapped the top of a WE standard banner and put it on her staff to give it a more of a mage look. If you hack off her lower part and attatch it to a riders legs she'd make a good unicorn rider :D
You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Ya she looks good. A lot of reaper's stuff gets into my armies. However, I'm still not sold anything to mount on the unicorn.
skilgannon82
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by skilgannon82 »

here is my unicorn spellweaver, the only place i can go to play games really is my local gw store so had use only gw pieces. the horse is actually one of the reavers from the high elf starter kit before i had any wood elf horses so there is alot of cutting and sculpting and green stuffing oh my god i love that stuff. i also had to creat a new leg and part of the dress for the weaver but mostly isnt to hard. also she has been in many battles so please mind the paint scars :p my entire wood elf army is converted i have been meaning to post pics up here for a very long time but just lazy. also please mind the painting im quite good at sculpting but my painting is a bit average which is disappointing as some of my models are very very cool and then i ruin them with dodgy paint jobs. :cry:
Attachments
DSC_0256.JPG
8th W/D/L 18/0/3
O and G 1/0/0
VC 1/0/0
dwarves 1/0/0
DE 2/0/0
LM 3/0/0
TK 2/0/0
WOC 2/0/0
empire 2/0/0
HE 0/0/1
ogres 2/0/0
skaven 1/0/0
WE 1/0/2
skilgannon82
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by skilgannon82 »

here is my stag rider. archaons horses with sculpted head and whats her name from 40k dark eldar stripped of armour and clothes :sexy:
Attachments
DSC_0257.JPG
8th W/D/L 18/0/3
O and G 1/0/0
VC 1/0/0
dwarves 1/0/0
DE 2/0/0
LM 3/0/0
TK 2/0/0
WOC 2/0/0
empire 2/0/0
HE 0/0/1
ogres 2/0/0
skaven 1/0/0
WE 1/0/2
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I have the 5th ed mtd mage. There are loads on eBay and it's a fun model to paint :)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"