Wood Elf Setup

Moderator: Council of Elders

sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wood Elf Setup

Post by sashkin »

Do Wood Elves always set up forests and trees at the start of each battle? If yes, how many may they set up to?

Please reply!

Moved to the Hall of Discussion ~ Beithir
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Wood Elf Setup

Post by danny1995 »

Single forest, 6" in diameter (a cd/dvd is this size) in their deployment zone, during pitched battles (the kind you roll for from the book) is when you can place it.
sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sashkin »

Are you sure? :confused: I played once, and we put about 4 forests...
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

Oh there can be more, but that's the one the wood elf player gets to place extra, because he is a wood elf player.
sashkin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sashkin »

Thank you, danny! :) :D
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Also even though it's 6 inches MOST people will allow the new Games workshop official forest terrain that they created because well... Games workshop made it... lol at least I haven't had any complaints...
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
valmir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by valmir »

Also, all of the forest stuff in Storm of Magic specifies "similar in size to the Citadel forest", so while there hasn't been a specific change of the rule, I think people are basically treating it as if that were the new de facto standard.

Bummer that we can only do it in our deployment zone as of the FAQ, though. But I guess they had to do something to tone down the OTT Wood Elf book... :roll:
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves

Post by Revelen »

Wood Elves with auto two 6-inch forests would be soooooo OP.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Revelen wrote:Wood Elves with auto two 6-inch forests would be soooooo OP.
I would like GW to modify the rule so that the opponent must also set out a 6-inch forest to be placed outside of the WE deployment zone but not any closer than 12 inches of the WE placed forest.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Revelen »

Sidewinder wrote:I would like GW to modify the rule so that the opponent must also set out a 6-inch forest to be placed outside of the WE deployment zone but not any closer than 12 inches of the WE placed forest.
That would actually be pretty cool. I'd also like it if terrain could "proliferate," before the game begins. As in, where you have one forest, there would be a chance to have a second adjoining, one house might give you a chance at a second nearby, etc. Then you could randomly generate terrain that cohered a bit more, you know, small villages, wooded areas, a marshier half of the board. I think that would be cool. But, again, wishes, fishes, never be hungry...
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

It really wouldn't, not with the current terrain rules, they don't impede movement, they don't block LoS (unless you model them extremely densely) and the mysterious terrain chart is as much likely to help you (granting fear or poisoned attacks) as it is to harm you (direct damage or stupidity). The only advantage of being able to place trees is that it can enhance the damage dealt by strangle root or certain spells on units while they are inside, but that's a pretty tenuous benefit.

The primary purpose of the free wood is to give yourself a start-point for a moon-stoning unit, or to give some of your units cover if your opponent has a lot of shooting.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Revelen
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Revelen »

Findecano wrote:
It really wouldn't, not with the current terrain rules,...
I was kiiiind of aiming for the sarcasm, there... :wink: