Plastic kit predictions

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Plastic kit predictions

Post by godswearhats »

I think its purely a flavor thing for the novel. Also would suspect that the main character that does that is actually a character and so could potentially retain his bow.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
@allmyownbattles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by @allmyownbattles »

After GW giving us dwarfs with personal flame throwers, I can definitely see an alt Wardancer unit with bows. I really like the image of the Wardancers leaping into battle, firing bows and drawing and striking with melee weapons in one fluid movement. It's gonna mean a lot of bows though.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

@allmyownbattles wrote:After GW giving us dwarfs with personal flame throwers, I can definitely see an alt Wardancer unit with bows. I really like the image of the Wardancers leaping into battle, firing bows and drawing and striking with melee weapons in one fluid movement. It's gonna mean a lot of bows though.
Or they just pick their bows back up again after they've finished slaughtering the enemy in melee.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Err wouldn't all their arrows fall out of their quivers when performing a Shadow Dance ? :confused:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
@allmyownbattles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by @allmyownbattles »

Kakapo42 wrote:Or they just pick their bows back up again after they've finished slaughtering the enemy in melee.
Ah sorry, I meant across the army.
frogboy wrote:Err wouldn't all their arrows fall out of their quivers when performing a Shadow Dance ? :confused:
Leather hoops/straps? I'm pretty sure they'd not leave bows at home in case they dropped them.
JAMOB
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Other than Wood Elves, lots of Blood Angels and a bit of IG, Eldar and Orcs.

Post by JAMOB »

frogboy wrote:Err wouldn't all their arrows fall out of their quivers when performing a Shadow Dance ? :confused:
I'm sure they could train so that they wouldn't... Perhaps make the quiver so it swivels, or rely on centripetal force to keep the arrows in during flips etc...
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Actually, now I think about it, having wardancers whose dances use bows even in melee makes sense. Kind of like gunkata in the movie equilibrium, but more acrobatic.

Ok, I'm sold. Take my money now please.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:....Kind of like gunkata in the movie equilibrium, but more acrobatic.
Like Legolas Greenleaf from Lord of the Rings ?

IMO its a silly idea, wardancers have never had bows, you lot with your centralfigel farse and your equlibral nonsense need to have your heads examined

:D
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Depends on the type of quiver you have, the asian quivers uses cloth as friction to keep the arrows in the quiver even thou their quivers are very short (think 1/3 to 1/4 of the arrow length) it will not fall out even when running or riding a horse, hence you see arrows arranged in a fan shape arrows in the quiver.
The shortness helps with quicker drawing of the arrows, and is perfect for horseback but due to the extra cloth inside the quiver it holds less.

While western quivers are long (literally up to the arrow fletching) to keep the arrows in maybe a sub-compartment to keep it "tight" but is very loose compared to the asian quivers so it kinda jiggles, but nothing stops them from adding a cloth inside to add friction.
The length helps with the amount of arrows it can hold, but the length of the quiver is a hinderance for horseback but usable at the expense of speed.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

frogboy wrote:I'm pretty sure Wardancers don't have bows in Orion, apart from when Finavar saves another wardancer, he picks up a bow from the floor and shoots it once, just one arrow, not sure that is a valid reason to give all Wardancers bows in the next edition. I think it would be a bit daft too, I mean Wardancers have always been close combat troops...

:question:
I totally agree, wardancers are close combat skirmishing troops. Not all Elves use bows, they are great with swords too.

I would like to see a treeman kit, that would really help.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Caranthir Ciryatan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Caranthir Ciryatan »

The idea of Wardencers armed with bows, shooting while moving fast among the trees without penalty, shooting before charging their enemies would clearly add to their lethality. And as someone mentioned, Finavar was mentioned to have a bow from the beginning of the novel, before he met the Asrai in the bag.

Cheers
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Well sorry to burst your bubble but that's never going to happen with the movement phase being before the shooting phase. I'm pretty sure Finavar doesn't have a bow, maybe you mean Stephan the Waywatcher ? Anyway I'm likley to be wrong but like GWHs said, Finavar is a character, The Darkling Prince, so is he even a wardancer ? Or just a lowborn special character with an canny resemblance to one, I can't remember anywhere in the book where it says Finavar is a wardancer...

In all the books which I've read with Wood Elves (a mighty 3) theres never a fight seen or mention of Wardancers using bows, even in the background information in the Army book there's no mention of it, it's almost as if Loec shuns the use of ranged weaponry preferring the trickery of outsmarting your opponent and slipping past their blades, mocking their efforts with the sword or axe.
In an abstract kind of way I'd say Wardancers reflect Dwarf Slayers, in that they eschew their best asset...

Anyway this is getting abit long and draw out for me, I think anyone reading this will know I'm against the idea of Wardancers having bows and I've made several points to that effect, but don't let me stand in the way of civilised discussion...

And now for something completely different :arrow:

:D
Caranthir Ciryatan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Caranthir Ciryatan »

His name was not Stephen but Sephian. Mine was only a suggestion, or I hoped so.

Cheers
Elismera The Red
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Elismera The Red »

I SAY JUST GIVE THEM GUNS!!! what could possibly be better then a WE with a gun
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I'd like to see less dramatic leaping poses from wardancers and simpler poses, such as charging.

Treeman needs to be like the giant, lots of different options and extra stuff.

Glade guard need have the three or four leather dots redone. I don't really understand why they are there in the first place.

Horses need to have more poses.

Need to have different standard and musician pieces.

No more crazy floating mages, and lose the crazy uniforms, lets keep thins a little simpler. After all, wood elves are simple people.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Jamesaet3 wrote:I'd like to see less dramatic leaping poses from wardancers and simpler poses, such as charging.
Why? The defining theme of the wardancers has alsway been their acrobatic wardances. Leaping, tumbling and summersaulting is what makes them wardancers, not and seperates them from witchelves.

Wardancers. How would you like them to dance in battle? I mean, proper Morris dancing can be pretty frenetic, and involve some hefty whacks from those sticks, but it's not very Warlike.

Ballet? Fox trot? Samba?

Or leaping over your head to gut the guy behind you, take the sword-arm of the guy next to you, and decapitate you, all in one fluid move?
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Yea I do not see Waywatchers and Wardancers being the same,

Waywatchers: stealth units that uses bows and two hand weapons that circles around the enemy by shooting from the trees then melee goes for a decisive strike.
vs
Wardancers: dancing melee troupe that dances around the enemy in combat

Even Eternal Guard is more similar to Wardancers in poses than Waywatchers being it requires some form (or for the lack of a better word: dancing) to use a double weapon

What I want to see is the person who is the sculptor of Dark Elves & Dark Eldar also sculpt for Wood Elves/High Elves/Eldar. Wyches and Witches are the better sculpts in my book.

And I want the old horses back!!! No armor, no head plate, no fashion styling, just ropes, saddle, maybe stur ups.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

We need to get this forum back in track, describing what we would like to see for the new wood elf models. I'm sure we can talk about the other things on different threads.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Hopefully returning to WHFB and Wood Elves soon; here's what I think we might get plastic models wise:

The trend is definitely to renew Finecast and Metal Models so here goes:

1. My most likely large kit is the Treeman/Treeman Ancient/Treeman SC (e.g. Durthu) - they might just do a 3 Treekin OR One Treeman option but less likely.

2. Eternal Guard as a metal rank and file unit seems the next most likely (IMHO) to be replaced with plastic;
my guess 10 in a box, maybe a dual kit with our own ALL female Elite Unit (more old style maiden guard rather than witch elf) - maybe Ariel's Handmaidens equipped with Bow and double ended spearstaff?

3. Gets harder from here on in; continuing the replacement of metals theme, Dual kit of Wild riders and a new unit probably Kurnos Priests (not familiar with these however) or a stag medium heavy cavalry unit.

4. I have a feeling we may lose the Warhawk Riders in favour of a plastic Eagle Unit; think it is very likely we will get a noble on an Eagle/Great Eagle bit like the "Island of Blood" HE Griffin rider.

5. Scout/Waywatcher plastic option I feel is a possible.

6. This is more of a personal wish rather than anything else; I would really like a Spellweaver on a large Unicorn (like the old HE Mage).

Thanks M ef.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Merlin Elf friend wrote:Hopefully returning to WHFB and Wood Elves soon; here's what I think we might get plastic models wise:

The trend is definitely to renew Finecast and Metal Models so here goes:

1. My most likely large kit is the Treeman/Treeman Ancient/Treeman SC (e.g. Durthu) - they might just do a 3 Treekin OR One Treeman option but less likely.

2. Eternal Guard as a metal rank and file unit seems the next most likely (IMHO) to be replaced with plastic;
my guess 10 in a box, maybe a dual kit with our own ALL female Elite Unit (more old style maiden guard rather than witch elf) - maybe Ariel's Handmaidens equipped with Bow and double ended spearstaff?

3. Gets harder from here on in; continuing the replacement of metals theme, Dual kit of Wild riders and a new unit probably Kurnos Priests (not familiar with these however) or a stag medium heavy cavalry unit.

4. I have a feeling we may lose the Warhawk Riders in favour of a plastic Eagle Unit; think it is very likely we will get a noble on an Eagle/Great Eagle bit like the "Island of Blood" HE Griffin rider.

5. Scout/Waywatcher plastic option I feel is a possible.

6. This is more of a personal wish rather than anything else; I would really like a Spellweaver on a large Unicorn (like the old HE Mage).

Thanks M ef.
I hope they don't waste a plastic kit on eagles, they already make some fantastic plastic eagles in the right scale for the lotr range. Having said that I'm not really bothered about warhawk riders either, I would much rather some plastic Wardancers or a forest dragon.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

We really need some plastic kits for our lords and heroes. The hero on a steed is just horrible, it looks more like a chaos here than a wood elf hero.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Jamesaet3 wrote:We really need some plastic kits for our lords and heroes. The hero on a steed is just horrible, it looks more like a chaos here than a wood elf hero.
What ! :eek: our lords and hero's are amazing.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Jamesaet3 wrote:We really need some plastic kits for our lords and heroes. The hero on a steed is just horrible, it looks more like a chaos here than a wood elf hero.
While I agree some plastic heroes would be nice, I'm still fairly happy with all our current character sculpts. Actually I do think the horse-mounted dude is the weakest link in the chain, but that is mainly because if the ridiculous 'dressage' arrangement on the horses mane (solved if you just use the plastic head instead of the metal one) and the fact that it is a metal/plastic hybrid kit and therefore rightly belongs in hell.

I would expect we'll probably get a plastic character sculpt for a wizard and noble on foot, afaik a mounted character in a plastic clam would be a first, and they could always put parts for a mounted noble in a new wild rider kit (kind of like how they did with the Lizardmen skink chief on Ripperdactyl).

I just hope they put the stag rider into finecast, I love that model and it would a tragedy if it just disappeared forever.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I find our current character models to be a pretty mixed bunch. Most of the singer/weaver models are nice, but the most of the noble/highborn models are somewhat disappointing. The greatsword one is the only one of the regular noble/highborn models I really like (wardancer and waywatcher ones are fine too).
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:I find our current character models to be a pretty mixed bunch. Most of the singer/weaver models are nice, but the most of the noble/highborn models are somewhat disappointing. The greatsword one is the only one of the regular noble/highborn models I really like (wardancer and waywatcher ones are fine too).
Somewhat strangely I'm almost the total opposite - I love all the noble/highborn models (except maybe the one on the eagle, and even then I can kind of live with that one), but I don't like any of the Spellsinger/Spellweaver models (I'm not a fan of the puffed up 'super-saiyan' style hair).

Regardless, I myself think that a slew of new generic character models is perhaps a bit optimistic. Going by previous Warhammer releases, I anticipate that the Wood Elf re-release will instead see a whole host of new Special Character models, and maybe one generic one (likely either a Spellsinger/Spellweaver or a Branchwraith), with the current character models left to dry out on their own accord.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.