Plastic kit predictions

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Plastic kit predictions

Post by godswearhats »

Wood Elves only have three all-plastic kits, which are the ones you get in the Battalion Box (and which happen to all be good kits, and all core units). Everything else is metal or finecast. Given the propensity for dual-purpose kits, we can assume they will follow this pattern for Wood Elves. What are the candidate units for getting new plastics? (Note that this all pure speculation on my part)
  • Eternal Guard
  • Wardancers
  • Warhawk Riders
  • Wildriders
  • Waywatchers
  • Treeman
  • Treekin
  • Great Eagle
  • Orion
  • Drycha
  • Sisters of Twilight
In addition, there are some other characters which may be (re)introduced, given that all the other armies have more than 3 (heck, even Ogres have 4!). Ariel, Naieth, Durthu or maybe even Skarloc or someone from the new books. I'm not going to speculate on the plastic infantry / cavalry level characters we might get because it seems much more difficult to predict :-)

How many kits might we expect? Big releases get 6-7 kits, plus 2-3 characters in plastic. Smaller releases (like Lizardmen) get 3-4 kits plus 1-2 characters. More likely we'll fall into the latter category so I've outlined what I think are the top 5. Bear in mind that his assumes we get no new unit types, which doesn't seem likely given the history of releases so far.

Kit #1: Treeman
Likely the Treeman plastic kit will be a dual with a Treeman special character (such as Durthu), giving you a few possible Treeman looks and builds. This could go on a much larger base and form a centerpiece model. This might mean we'd lose the Forest Dragon as an option. However, given how much fantasy players like Dragons (almost every army has one, or something very similar), I would say this is not terribly likely.

Kit #2: Eternal Guard
While the models on these are excellent, it's likely that these chaps will get revamped and put into a dual kit. While some rumors have placed them in with Wardancers, this seems unlikely to me. We all know that Wardancers run around virtually naked and covered in tattoos, whereas Eternal Guard are the closest thing we have to heavy infantry - wearing armor and at the very least clothing. From a model perspective, they are most akin to Glade Guard, so if they are going to be a dual kit I think it would be a new Glade / Eternal Guard kit. However, I think it more likely that these guys would just come stand alone in a box of 10, much like any of the Daemons core infantry, or be a dual kit with a new model type.

Kit #3: Wardancers
And speaking of our favorite tattoo-wearing, sword-waving maniacs, how would they work? Obviously they have a similar look and feel to Wild Riders, but given that GW has never released a dual kit that is both infantry and cavalry, I think that it's unlikely they'd start now: the poses for the models are too different. More likely again that they will come stand alone in a box of 5, or else dual with another new unit type (given that we have 'singers and 'dancers we really just need 'players, right?)

Kit #4: Wild Riders
So where does that leave Wild Riders? They're already riding Glade Guard horses, so it seems logical to think that there will be a dual-kit of Glade Rider and Wild Rider models, with 5 models to a kit. Another possibility might be dual kit with the 'Priest of Kurnous' unit that has been discussed in other threads.

Kit #5: Warhawk Riders
I would suspect these will be one to a box, and will have the option to be built either as characters or rank and file troops. I also think it likely that we will lose the Warhawk altogether and everyone will be riding Great Eagles, so this will become our GE noble kit also. There could potentially be a new special character who goes on a Great Eagle (there is at least one character in the new books plays a reasonably central role). This could also potentially have Sisters of Twilight in it.

I think that's all we'll get, but here's some further idle speculation, in rough order of what I think is likely. This would mean releasing over two months.

Kit #6: Forest Dragon
If we're getting a new dragon, it will likely have enough bits and pieces to build either as Highborn or the Sisters on Ceithin-Har. It could also contain enough pieces to build a Spellweaver, assuming they make that change in the rules. Either way, it would likely be a kit that would allow us to have some infantry models and a build with a character, similar to other kits (Carnosaur, Cauldron of Blood for instance).

Kit #6: Treekin
Multi-part Treekin kit to allow you to build 3 models, with plenty left over for cool conversions.

Kit #8: Scouts / Waywatchers
A 5-model kit with some new scouts and waywatchers, including interesting bits and pieces to make cool bases / camouflage.

Kit #9: Orion / Alter Kindred
This may just be wishful thinking, but I could see them making Alter Kindred into a much bigger model, making it Monstrous Infantry and giving us a dual kit which could be built as Orion or as an Alter Kindred, similar to how the Daemon Prince kit is today. More likely Orion will not change.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
noneshallpass!
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Plastic kit predictions

Post by noneshallpass! »

Comparing the Sisters of Averlon to the current Waywatchers, I'd advise to be carefull what to wish for :paranoid:
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

I think it's very likely that the Forrest Dragon kit will be a combo kit with a new kind of monster. There's a bit in the Wood Elf background in the BRB that says:
Warhammer 8th edition rulebook, pg 215 'The Deepwood Host' wrote:... abd wondrous entities coalesced from the dreams of the living forest itself.

So I think it's likely there'll be a kit that makes an unridden Forrest Dragon, a Wood Elf character on a Forrest Dragon, The Sisters of Twilight on a Forrest Dragon or some new dreamborn flying creature, mounted character optional. With spare bases to use the character/Sisters of Twilight on foot.

I also think that a Warhawk Rider/Wild Rider combo kit could be feasible. Assuming the models are redesigned (NOOOOOOOOOO!) to have similar legs, then all that would really be needed aside from different mounts is a head and arm swap (different helmets and a bow for a sword respectively), which I think could easily be fit along with the different mount options into one box.

EDIT: I also feel the need to point out that currently the Wild Rider horses are different to the Glade Rider ones. The Wild Rider horses have horned armoured heads, while the Glade Rider ones have bands and a half-mask thing.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Silver Wolf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Empire, WoC (Slaanesh)

Post by Silver Wolf »

Mixing Eternal Guard with anything else seems impossible to me.
Wardancers and glade guard have no armor so mixing them together doesn't seem like a good idea.

They're probably throw in some new kind of unit in order to make the box more expensive.
Like witch elves, for example. That how things work lately.
"Watch the skies, traveler."
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Kakapo42 wrote: I also think that a Warhawk Rider/Wild Rider combo kit could be feasible. Assuming the models are redesigned (NOOOOOOOOOO!) to have similar legs, then all that would really be needed aside from different mounts is a head and arm swap (different helmets and a bow for a sword respectively), which I think could easily be fit along with the different mount options into one box.

EDIT: I also feel the need to point out that currently the Wild Rider horses are different to the Glade Rider ones. The Wild Rider horses have horned armoured heads, while the Glade Rider ones have bands and a half-mask thing.
I did think about this as a possibility, but rejected it given that you'd end up either having a box set of 5 Monstrous Cavalry (which they've never done before) or a box set of 3 Cavalry (which they've also never done before). It didn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective, even if it did from a modeling one.

And yes, I know the Wild Riders have armored heads, but it's the same Elven Steed bodies, just with an extra bit of metal added on :-)
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

godswearhats wrote:I did think about this as a possibility, but rejected it given that you'd end up either having a box set of 5 Monstrous Cavalry (which they've never done before) or a box set of 3 Cavalry (which they've also never done before). It didn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective, even if it did from a modeling one.
Could they not meet in the middle and do a box of 4 Cavalry/Monstrous Cavalry? Especially if the release is being engineered with 9th in mind (and might therefore set the trend for releases to come).
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Can't see it. All the MC box sets are already only 3 models, and GWs trend has been to reduce the models per box not increase.
ikken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ikken »

i would guess we get 4 new kits
likely a treeman kit with options for TM ancient or a treeman character .
and chances are good tree kin . in a new box kit .
then I would bet on 2 new unit boxes ,
some flashy big thing and something in the special slot . I could see a griffin or hieroglyph cavalry type unit ( basically a medium to heavy cav )
I can also see GW giving us some of the High elf stuff like phoenix or their range of dragons .
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

ikken wrote:i would guess we get 4 new kits
and chances are good tree kin . in a new box kit .
then I would bet on 2 new unit boxes ,
some flashy big thing and something in the special slot . I could see a griffin or hieroglyph cavalry type unit ( basically a medium to heavy cav )
I can also see GW giving us some of the High elf stuff like phoenix or their range of dragons .
This seems really unlikely to me. We might get a new dragon model, but not a range of them. I think that the models that are still metal (Wild Riders, Eternal Guard, Wardancers) are all much higher candidates than Treekin. If GW are really moving away from metal/Finecast, then they'll have to do two months of releases for Wood Elves and we'll likely get 8 boxed sets. Wood Elves have never had heavy cavalry so seems very unlikely we'd get any now (and in fact would probably dishearten a lot of Wood Elf players).
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

I think you would be more likely to see a plastic kit for wild riders/priests (similar to warlocks, fast cav with some other cool <b>[censored]</b>) and then stag cav (if we do get it) in rare in a box by its self.

What really interests me is what they will do with waywatchers/wardancers/if we get another new infantry model.

My guess would be either waywatchers/new model or wardancers/new model, and the one left out will probably go to finecast..

Obviously I hope for many new kits :P

Also really pumped for spellweaver having dragon as mount. And Unicorns being better :P
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

It has been mentioned that finecast is going to be replaced with plastic, does that mean that they would re-sculpt all of the finecast models, or just convert them?
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

They have to be redone. Plastic is often digitally sculpted these days.

I talked at length with a friend who works at GW. Given the amount of work that would be needed to update the Wood Elf range, it's most likely we will have two months of releases.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Looks like I'll end up with new Wild Riders, War Hawks, a Drycha model, new Orion and whatever other goodies they send our way!
Damn you GW and your tantalising ways! :crazy: Haha!
Caranthir Ciryatan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Caranthir Ciryatan »

My predictions based on what GW had done to the other races.

Glade Guards models will be revamped, much like what happened to the Beastmen Gors and Ungors and we will get fewer models, from 16 to 10.

Glade Riders, maybe will get the same face lift as the Glade Guards, or maybe a cumbo box with Glade Riders and Orion's own priests as mentioned in the novels.

Wardancers. Something similar to the witch elves models, movement and acrobatic models at their best.

Waywatchers and Scouts, similar to the Shadow Warriors-Sister cumbo boxes.

Warhawk or maybe even plastic Eagle riders. This will be an extra cool model.

As for the spirits, the Dryads will get a face lift maybe new plastic models as the treekin and a very persistence rumors suggest a plastic tree-men.

Who knows a plastic Orion model, Isha, Scarloc or Naith and Drycha.

Cheers
faeg nad teli
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by faeg nad teli »

I don't think any of our plastic kits will be redone. Especially not dryads.

I wonder if they would be able to combine 3 treekin with 1 treeman in one box... I think with digital sculpting you would be able to create something like this.
Wardancers and waywatchers could be in one kit with different torso's and weapons.
Eternal guard i'd see combined with a new elite kit
Warhawks will probably be our new monsterous cavalry kit
Wild riders together with the new priests
Plastic Drycha and branchwraith
Plastic spellsinger-weaver and Naith
Plastic noble or a dragon kit with noble on foot
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Where did you hear about these "new priests"? I'm assuming they are Cav.

To be honest I can't see them re-doing the already existing plastic kits.
I think War hawks will be our monstrous cav and I am kind of hoping for it. I would love for them to be re-vamped. Plus, I'd want a workable squad in a box rather than single blister packs!

Waywatchers will come in a pack of 5 I reckon. 3 in a blister, not likely anymore!
Eternal guard are likely to come in a 10 pack too. Yeah could be a dual kit.

Ooh yeah I almost forgot about the Dragon kit. I'll probably get that just to paint. I hope he's very visually different from the old sculpt and anything that the HE & DE have. Moss dragon, too fuzzy to be scales...is it fur?.....no it's moss! Special rule: "soft to touch", all enemy units have to take a leadership test or forfeit all attacks because they just end up fixated on the silky smooth texture of natures carpet" ...it could happen! :paranoid: Haha!
Borgnine
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: bretonnians, vampire counts

Post by Borgnine »

All this is very pretty and nice, but I really don't think wood elves would got a full remaking of their minis... Even GW's pet elves - the HE - are still left with oldschool [even if finecasted] swordmasters. Two months of realeases for WE? That would be awesome, but let's face it - how probable it is?

I think that old plastics will stay that way, we'll probably get some cavalry - wild riders with some new option probably. And with that some new infantry - I really don't know which, but wardancers and waywatchers would be nice - even if hard to combine in one set - those two units are very distinct and typical of wood elves. I can bet some money on a new treeman with some options, maybe a dragon too... Should the new edition be a "ridden monster edition" that would be very nice and expected to see.

Och well, I'm just tossing some ideas, while I know as much as everyone else ;) But that's my two cents about this.
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Gwill_of_the_Woods wrote:Where did you hear about these "new priests"? I'm assuming they are Cav.
If they're what I think, it's the Priests of Kurnous, from the Orion Books. Basically boosted Wild Riders, so some sort of Monstrous Cavalry. They're described as being huge compared to normal elves.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Lumpin Croop
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Lumpin Croop »

I've just read the new(ish) Wood Elf book and noticed Spearmen being mentioned a lot, therefore, I think we'll get a Spearman / Eternal Guard combo kit. Obviously I imagine Spearmen being a cheaper (9pts?) Core unit and Eternal Guard becoming a better Special unit.
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Orks, Space Wolves

Post by Balakul »

Definitely looking forward to war-hawk riders plastic... current ones are bit heavy :)
Crobat Balakul
wisetiger7
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by wisetiger7 »

First confirmation... I believe...
Wood Elf Glade Riders are discontinued after January 3rd, so I expect to see them in a new kit, probably a dual kit with Wild Riders. And they'll probably jack the prices up as they do all dual kits. Expect $65-70 for a box.

edit: Actually, I take that back. Doomfire Warlocks/Dark Riders are only $35 for the dual kit. I expect $40 for 5.
RonRJW
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by RonRJW »

G.W. site states Glade Riders wont ship for one to two weeks. Anyone have a clue what this could mean? Maybe they are just out of stock. I can only hope it means something will happen sooner than later for W.E. because my opponents are starting to get better at kicking around my army with their new books. :)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

[quote="RonRJW"]G.W. site states Glade Riders wont ship for one to two weeks. Anyone have a clue what this could mean? [\quote]

Read the post above yours :)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
RonRJW
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by RonRJW »

popisdead wrote:
RonRJW wrote:G.W. site states Glade Riders wont ship for one to two weeks. Anyone have a clue what this could mean? [\quote]

Read the post above yours :)

The question remains. :p When a model is discontinued for two weeks could we assume a new update and book, or is a new model/unit release prior to our update more likely? I know, just trying to read in between the lines, probably meaningless. :)
frnknstn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by frnknstn »

characters which may be (re)introduced, given that all the other armies have more than 3
Well, Dwarfs also have only three characters at the moment. Let's see what happens in their new book in February. If they get more, WE might too.