Plastic kit predictions

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Plastic kit predictions

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I would love to see some new Eternal Guard models, the ones we currently have aren't that great, I only actually like one of the models and thats it.

Wild Riders could use a fix up, as well as waywatchers.

Wardancers need a new look as well, hopefully they will get rid of the rings around the arms and legs cause those things are soooo anyoying to paint.

Unless warhawks get good stats, I don't see any reason to make new ones, cause if they are too expensive, no one will take them anyways.

A new dragon model is needed as well, unless they are just gonna use the generic high elf one.

A new treeman model needs to be scarier, the ones they have right now just aren't large enough or mean enough. Just as long as they don't make them too big, I really don't like the large models anymore.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Wow there's a lot of differance in opinion on what models people believe we will be getting.

My predictions would be:-

1) Waywatcher / scout (new Shooty unit)
2) Wild Rider / priests (new Cav unit)
3) Druthu / Treeman

So there's bound to be disappointment. Hopefully we get a strong book then at least we can kit bash some counts as if the models are rubbish :D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

frogboy wrote:Wow there's a lot of differance in opinion on what models people believe we will be getting.

3) Druthu / Treeman

So there's bound to be disappointment. Hopefully we get a strong book then at least we can kit bash some counts as if the models are rubbish :D
Surely eternal guard are THE most obvious candidate for plastication, being a r&f infantry unit (ie likely to be fielded in relatively large units.

Conversely, as scouts and ww are typically fielded in very small units, they would seem to be relatively unlikely.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Ironbeard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ironbeard »

So wood elves finally got 4boxes total. But i don't think WE could get much new units
Dwarfs only get two new units. And we still don't have any information about characters.
Sienna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Space Wolves, Tyranid, Wood Elves, someday Beastmen

Post by Sienna »

I'm hoping they make the sisters anything BUT metal this time around. So much pain assembling that model. So much :cry:

I'm thinking anything tree related will get a new revamp in plastic, along with wild riders and anything else they can throw on a stag [Which would be super cool :D ]
You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:
frogboy wrote:Wow there's a lot of differance in opinion on what models people believe we will be getting.

3) Druthu / Treeman

Surely eternal guard are THE most obvious candidate for plastication, being a r&f infantry unit (ie likely to be fielded in relatively large units.

Conversely, as scouts and ww are typically fielded in very small units, they would seem to be relatively unlikely.
I wouldnt say they are the most obvious, going on that we presume it will be a duel kit. How would a duel kit look if it had to be both waywatchers and Eternal guard or wardances. All them units look completely different and I don't think we will get two heavy rank and file units.

Wardancers: why are they all standing in the same position, and why can't I see their talismatic tattoos. Wardances now wear clothes/armour ?

Waywatchers: why are they all stood in weird positions not even shooting their bows and they are wearing the same uniforms as the eternal guard ?

Eternal guard: (if they are the alternate kit) why are they all naked and doing back flips ?

That's why I think its more likely we will get something like two shooting units. Something like what the high elves got, in a duel kit.

Cheers,
Frogboy
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Coyle_Ravane wrote: Surely eternal guard are THE most obvious candidate for plastication, being a r&f infantry unit (ie likely to be fielded in relatively large units.

I agree that Eternal guard are the most obvious candidate for plastic, they sucked from the outset of our last book so fewer people will own the old models, and you will need more of them to make a viable unit so a plastic set would be more cost effective. I'm expecting them to put core Spearmen back into the list as a dual kit with Eternal guard, they were a staple of the list back in 5th/ravaging hordes.

I'm not saying they wouldn't do a kit for Waywatchers (we have a 10 man shadow warrior kit after all), but they won't dual kit them with scouts for the same reason as ye won't dual kit wild riders with glade riders: we have plastic scouts already, and I agree that trying to make a dual kit that combined two out of EG, WW and WD would likely be impossible due a massive disparity in the look and feel of each of those three units.

I guess I suspect Waywatchers would be the least likely to get a plastic kit, just because if they create a new unit for the dual kit we'd have 4 different bow-armed infantry units in our army list, and even though shooting is kind of our MO, that just seems like total overkill.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

frogboy wrote:I wouldnt say they are the most obvious, going on that we presume it will be a duel kit. How would a duel kit look if it had to be both waywatchers and Eternal guard or wardances. All them units look completely different and I don't think we will get two heavy rank and file units.

Wardancers: why are they all standing in the same position, and why can't I see their talismatic tattoos. Wardances now wear clothes/armour ?

Waywatchers: why are they all stood in weird positions not even shooting their bows and they are wearing the same uniforms as the eternal guard ?

Eternal guard: (if they are the alternate kit) why are they all naked and doing back flips ?

That's why I think its more likely we will get something like two shooting units. Something like what the high elves got, in a duel kit.

Cheers,
Frogboy
The thing is, as findecano pointed out, we already have plastic scouts.

Eternal guard could easily make a dual-kit with a new r&f unit like the old spearmen, or a ranked up unit of elite archers. Then again, they may not do them as a dual-kit, we're probably the only army whose regular, r&f melee infantry aren't in plastic.

Honestly, I think if we get a shooty unit, it is more likely to be a monstrous infantry alter with a bolt-thrower style bow, like a smaller version if Orion. It matches trend for mobile warmachines (ogre cannon- chariot, blast-mammoth and scrap-launcher, high elf skycutter bolt-thrower, dorf gyrocopter etc.), and would fit well with the rest of our army. Also would be a good adaptation of a popular character type.

Or a treeman with a siege ballista in each hand....... :crazy:
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Our core rank and file are glade gaurd, dryads are our main core combat unit, eternal guard are special. Like I already said I can't see us having this extra rank and file combat unit when we already have loads of combat units in the list.

It's only my personal opinion but I believe we will see a dual shooting kit, Waywatchers and something else, for example, scouts because they may change the rules for them, or some other Shooty unit.

But it's pointless going around in circles really, I'm not going to argue it out, we will just have to wait and see...

:paranoid:

It would be nice to see an Orion model, I'd like that too and with the recent books and some intrest being generated in the subject it makes sense, if anything at least give him a true ward save in the rules department but a major overhaul will be welcomed.

:D
Last edited by frogboy on 05 Mar 2014, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a comma
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I'd be a bit suprised to see a new Orion model, sadly, as we had a new one last time, and one the time before that, but special characters don't generally get new models all that often.

I did see a lovely resin statue I wanted to paint and use as Orion, last time I was in Glastonbury. Unfortunately, he was clearly a very, very happy statue :sexy: , and some places I game are fussy about keeping everything clean and family friendly (except for DE players, they can't really help it). Plus, Ariel would run a mile if she saw that thing coming towards her...... :eek:
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

wow...just wow lmfao!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
@allmyownbattles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by @allmyownbattles »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:I'd be a bit suprised to see a new Orion model, sadly, as we had a new one last time, and one the time before that, but special characters don't generally get new models all that often.
Dwarfs just got two. As many as there was unnamed characters.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

But had those characters had new models in both the last dwarf release and the one before?

3 New Orion models in 3 editions of the book seems unlikely. Anyway, the current one is pretty good.
Yojimbo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Yojimbo »

I really like the latest Orion. Would love to buy the model. But the rules updating.
From tiny twiglets mighty treemen grow.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:I'd be a bit suprised to see a new Orion model, sadly, as we had a new one last time, and one the time before that, but special characters don't generally get new models all that often.

I did see a lovely resin statue I wanted to paint and use as Orion, last time I was in Glastonbury. Unfortunately, he was clearly a very, very happy statue :sexy: , and some places I game are fussy about keeping everything clean and family friendly (except for DE players, they can't really help it). Plus, Ariel would run a mile if she saw that thing coming towards her...... :eek:
I wouldn't expect to see a new Orion either, the current model is excellent (must get round to buying one before the new book drops and they use it as an excuse to hike the price). Most of the 8th edition books have a lot more named characters than wood elves, and any new SCs will need models first.

Given that none of the existing dwarf named chars got new models I'm not really expecting that to happen for woodies either.

That said I would really, really like to see a new dragon kit (which would almost certainly include the sisters of twilight), but that is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I'm guessing that a treeman kit will have parts to make a treeman SC (Durthu?) and Ariel and Scarloc are easy includes with a plastic blister for each which would take us to 6 named characters.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

Of all the special characters I would like Ariel to be updated. It is not really graceful, and every time I see it i always think that nose!!!
I think just using the Spellweaver then adding fairy wings looks more better than the current Ariel model.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
SherrBear
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SherrBear »

I really like the latest Orion.
Same, i got the model solely because i love the look of him- havent painted him yet though. I did make one small change to the model, instead of having his bow over his thigh i squeezed it through the flaps of his cloak- I just like the look of it a lot more.
Yojimbo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Yojimbo »

I'm really tempted to do the same Sherrbear. For me he really captures the Green Man/Midsummer Night's Dream aspect of the Wood Elves. Especially if as Findecano says they are likely to raise the price after the new book arrives.
From tiny twiglets mighty treemen grow.
@allmyownbattles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by @allmyownbattles »

Are there any other nice Orion type models by other manufacturers? The current GW one is decent. It looks a little dated though.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

@allmyownbattles wrote:Are there any other nice Orion type models by other manufacturers? The current GW one is decent. It looks a little dated though.
Here's a conversion that is really nice :D :thumbsup:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/112651-.html

Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

I think they need to go off of the pictures in the 5 or sixth edition book. They were so cool and scary looking!

Hopefully the stats change for Orion, cause right now, Alith Anar The shadow king has the best bow in the game, the moonbow, and he's only 250pts. Would much rather take him vs Orion any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Caranthir Ciryatan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Caranthir Ciryatan »

Reading the new Orion trilogy , wardancers have been given bows by the author. Do you see this added if any new plastic wardancers are released, and would you thing that bow armed wardancers would perform better on the table top. Shooting before charging could be devastating by a unit charged by the Wardancers.

Cheers.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Caranthir Ciryatan wrote:Reading the new Orion trilogy , wardancers have been given bows by the author. Do you see this added if any new plastic wardancers are released, and would you thing that bow armed wardancers would perform better on the table top. Shooting before charging could be devastating by a unit charged by the Wardancers.

Cheers.
It would add to the points cost without affecting their ability to perform their main role significantly, so I hope not. They're expensive enough as it is.

Throwing spears would make more sense, but the same issue would apply.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Caranthir Ciryatan wrote:Reading the new Orion trilogy , wardancers have been given bows by the author. Do you see this added if any new plastic wardancers are released, and would you thing that bow armed wardancers would perform better on the table top. Shooting before charging could be devastating by a unit charged by the Wardancers.

Cheers.
Perhaps there will be a combo kit of Wardancers and a new Bow-armed Wardancer variant (with some funky special rules to differentiate them from the other fragile skirmishing archers we have).

Yessss... then they put out a Wardancer themed one-click collection with four boxes of them and a new Wardancer character clampack! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! :evil:
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

I'm pretty sure Wardancers don't have bows in Orion, apart from when Finavar saves another wardancer, he picks up a bow from the floor and shoots it once, just one arrow, not sure that is a valid reason to give all Wardancers bows in the next edition. I think it would be a bit daft too, I mean Wardancers have always been close combat troops...

:question: