War Eagles?

Moderator: Council of Elders

Gammal
Newcomer
Newcomer

War Eagles?

Post by Gammal »

Hey guys!

I just stumbled over something, this might be old news to you guys, but ive never seen it before...

What is a war eagle? And why cant I find it in my army book?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1091023
Breeze
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: War Eagles?

Post by Breeze »

The same things as Great Eagles but just a smaller model which can be based on a 40mm base instead of a 50mm base.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

As far as I know, this modelas are about the some size as our Warhawk models.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Kertilien
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kertilien »

The War Eagles are our old Great Eagle models. They made a new Great Eagle a few years ago that's much larger than the old ones, but decided to keep selling the old ones under a different name.
pearldrums
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by pearldrums »

I liked the great eagle models better, so i have 2 of them. Things to note, though their body is considerably smaller, I believe their wingspan is longer than a great eagles. Its pretty freaking huge. So big that I don't actually glue them onto the post in case I need to rank them up in combat. Also, note that they are 'war eagles' not 'great eagles' so before you get into a debate about what base size to use, remember that the 40mm base supplied with it are for a unit that no longer exists, you should buy a 50mm base.

I cant give you a fair recomendation as I don't own a great eagle, but I'd say that the war eagle is a good choice. It does assemble a little poorly and you'll probably have to do a little GS work FYI.
Kertilien
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kertilien »

pearldrums wrote:Also, note that they are 'war eagles' not 'great eagles' so before you get into a debate about what base size to use, remember that the 40mm base supplied with it are for a unit that no longer exists, you should buy a 50mm base.
I don't think War Eagles were ever a unit - those are the original Great Eagles, but their name was changed when a new Great Eagle was released. The Wood Elf War Eagle picture in GW's online store was cropped directly from the picture of Great Eagles in our old army book.
Dogmar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dogmar »

The "wareagles" are the old models for our "great eagles" and are indeed a bit smaller. IIRC in the old rules they were one a 40mm base but that's not longer an option. So either you buy a wareagle together with a 50mm base or you get yourself the new great eagle, which has a far better sculpt imho.

Which one you take ist just personal preference really.
The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Peacemaker »

Since the old ones are smaller you can always glue a glade guard on top with a spear(any spear or a spearpack from the glade riders box) and then you have warhawk riders.