New wood elf army book

Moderator: Council of Elders

J-Bo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Tomb Kings

New wood elf army book

Post by J-Bo »

Are GW going to bring out a new army book, because my army book is falling apart really badly and was wondering if they were going to bring out a new one

TOPIC MOVED! //Salamander
Dogmar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New wood elf army book

Post by Dogmar »

They eventually will, but there is nothing concrete about a new book just yet. While I'm also greatly looking forward to it, I'm also afraid that by reworking WE in the style other 8th edition armies have gotten the WE will lose some of their uniqueness. Facts like "any new AB will get a monster of Sphinx size" are exciting but also a bit worrying in my opinion. We might lose our unique playstyle in favour of raw power, since GW is starting to simplify the game a lot (see less magic items etc.)
Herr Arnulfe
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Herr Arnulfe »

You'd think a Wood Elf book would be fairly early in the product cycle since the last one was published in 2005. Hopefully GW will only add new units without making any existing units obsolete.

I believe there have only been two Wood Elf army books, right? The first published in 1996, and the second in 2005?
Caidath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves, Lizardmen, Black Templars

Post by Caidath »

My army book did the same thing. I have had mine for a bit though. I took mine to fedex/kinkos and they can spiralbind the spine for less than $10. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new army book. Tomb kings just came out and the common consensus is that Ogres are next. I would hope that we would be next but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with empire or dwarves as they are that 'face' of the good guys even though comparitavly their book is head and shoulders better put together for 8th.
We are watching. Always watching.
Finbulvetr
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Finbulvetr »

In situations like this, I'll go and download a .pdf version. Don't get me wrong, it's against intellectual property laws, I know, and I'm not, in any way, encouraging piracy, but you actually bought the book in the first place, so it may be considered as a safety copy (think on all those mp3 web disclaimers...)

Salut!

Edit: Well, I DO encourage piracy as a personal choice and in a situation like the actual here in Spain (see Sustainable Economy Law, or "Sinde" Law :mad: ) but I'll never advice others to do so for many reasons. I know this is not the place to discuss it, but I felt I need to say it :D
And how alive though it seems
I was there in my dreams.
elspedo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by elspedo »

I heard a rumour that bret's were going to be done this year (good as I do want a bret force-bad as our army is at a disadvantage (although some people are doing ok with them at tournaments)) and the reason for bringing out so many WFB armies this year was they would be concentrating on a hobbit game next year? As I say it is only rumours tho and think a number of people need to concentrate more on why they enjoy playing woodies ie amazing models, if you want to win every week go get yourself a daemon army and enjoy pushing it up the table ;)
Tegalad
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by Tegalad »

Hey guys, found this online. I really liked it thought the ideas were neat! Pretty over powered tho!
Thought you may want to take a look!

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... hp?t=74544
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

elspedo wrote:I heard a rumour that bret's were going to be done this year
The current rumors speaks about Dawi after holidays and Brets at the end of the year. Still not sure I can believe it (unless someone mistakes FW Chaos Dawi for Dawi for some reason)...
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Tegalad wrote:Hey guys, found this online. I really liked it thought the ideas were neat! Pretty over powered tho!

Took a look and it seems highly over powered or pointless. Stuff that was already good enough (or close to it) got massive upgrades at no additional cost (or minor cost) and stuff that was underpowered didn't really change their status.

Those army wide rules push you to not use Athel Loren for sure, which seems counter-intuitive for the host lore.

The army wide rules for forests are way too much of a nuisance to put up with for both sides playing.

Multiple units aren't listed, mentioned, or anything really.

There's a few interesting things, but really, a lot of the general rules should be kindred specific or unit specific instead of this monstrous over powered army wide (or close to it) rule section.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
TreePunk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TreePunk »

Hey guys, found this online. I really liked it thought the ideas were neat! Pretty over powered tho!

I took a look as well and I cant figure out why they would take eternal guard out of that army list and added and in swarms :confused:

I found this version last week, might want to take a look at it to..
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... 1287779369
cyberspite
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by cyberspite »

Well I heard over on warseer yesterday that wood elves are at the sculpting stage now, this is only a rumour though, so take with as much salt as you want :), but it puts a release somewhere in the first half of 2012, which is about what I was expecting anyway.

Ogres will be before then though I think.
Tegalad
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by Tegalad »

Shandrakor wrote:
Tegalad wrote:Hey guys, found this online. I really liked it thought the ideas were neat! Pretty over powered tho!

Took a look and it seems highly over powered or pointless. Stuff that was already good enough (or close to it) got massive upgrades at no additional cost (or minor cost) and stuff that was underpowered didn't really change their status.

Those army wide rules push you to not use Athel Loren for sure, which seems counter-intuitive for the host lore.

The army wide rules for forests are way too much of a nuisance to put up with for both sides playing.

Multiple units aren't listed, mentioned, or anything really.

There's a few interesting things, but really, a lot of the general rules should be kindred specific or unit specific instead of this monstrous over powered army wide (or close to it) rule section.
I agree Shandrakor. It was nice to see something writen down however far fetched. Made my head tick over with some ideas and excitment of what a new army book may bring.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Tegalad wrote:I agree Shandrakor. It was nice to see something writen down however far fetched. Made my head tick over with some ideas and excitment of what a new army book may bring.
When I saw that all forest spirits were immune to the Lore of Metal and acted as though wizards casting Lore of Life spells on them were cast with Throne of Vines automatically, I just had to laugh a bit. Sure a bunch of new ideas are at least a somewhat interesting read, but if they're this outlandishly over powered, then I think they need to go back to the drawing board a bit. :roll:

If you want, I can make up a new army list with rules for everything too. It'd be kinda fun and something to do while bored.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
elspedo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by elspedo »

Just been talking to the guys over on the warhammer forum and the ogres battalion box set is no longer available to suppliers so looks as though they are the next army to be done, also Necrons have been the same so another 40k army probably as well as the storms of magic so its going to be at least 4-5 months before anything other than this released. After that my money is on brets as they dont have the plastic sets that we have which seems to be the way that GW are going and then probably either dwarfs who lack plastic elites/rare or WE who also lack WR/EG and treekin.

Expensive year ahead ;)