Question About Elf Lords

Moderator: Council of Elders

Zeromage
Newcomer
Newcomer

Question About Elf Lords

Post by Zeromage »

I am not a big fan of the mounted wood elf lord. He is a little too busy for me. I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not I could use a regular glade rider with a different mount (i.e. either a horse painted a different color to distinguish it from the other ones). Is that kosher as far as the rules go? If so does anyone have any other ideas for a mounted elf lord. Maybe a converted high elf, or dark elf, or older model?
Mithrail
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elfs, Bretonnia (Old army, rarely in use)

Re: Question About Elf Lords

Post by Mithrail »

I converted a GR model for my mounted lord and I took some small stones (from a GW base-scenery) and after some clipping I managed to make the horse stand on it with it's front hooves. It might not be the pretties thing in the world but it was really effective and kinda cool
The prayer was not heard after all
and the penitence no longer means anything
Must the longing, compassion,
and even the love for each other be shattered into pieces,
as if it were a fragile and sad song that the elves sing?
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Zeromage wrote:Is that kosher as far as the rules go?
This really is what the hobby is all about - personalising your models, not jewish food of course ;)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Indeed, there are plenty of people who have on stock-standard models in their army. Every model they have is recombined from different kits, and sometimes scratch-sculpted by hand, to serve as a unique conversion. The bottom line is that the model should have all the appropriate wargear that you've given your character, or something that could reasonably represent it. If you've got a character with Helm of the Hunt, light armor, shield and a spear riding an Elven steed, then the model you use should have those options modeled on it. The model also has to obey the basic principles of the game, such as being mounted on the right size base so that it conforms properly with the rules. Otherwise, you're free to use any model you please. If you do go with a basic Glade Rider to represent an Elven character, you'll probably want to add something to spice it up to spice it up so that your opponents don't get confused.
Kyure
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Chaos SM

Post by Kyure »

/Agree with the above.

I will probably be making a Lord/Noble model out of a Glade Rider myself because none of our blister pack models come mounted shooting a bow. I plan on beefing up the bow a bit and making it prettier/bigger/thicker. As well as giving him one of the cooler cloaks from the sprues and making his spear very elaborate. On top of that, hopefully finding a helmet or a better head for the model to distinguish not only his status, but also the HoTH should he be equipped with it. Like with my Wild Rider lord, I also painted his horse significantly darker than the rest of the other horses in my army.

In the meantime, I'm also working on a special mounted lord model with a spear...riding a Giant Stag Beetle, just as something different. Should be getting some WIP pictures posted soon!

Have fun! Post pictures!
Zeromage
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zeromage »

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17138

My army is night elf themed. Check out my post above to see some pics. My mounted elf lord is going to be the same as my glade riders, except my glade riders will be mounted on panthers, whereas my lord will be on a white tiger.
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the converted mounted noble is the theme for this season's Modelling Challenge:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16856

Not too many entrants, but there's plenty of time left... ;)
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Thanks for the plug. Yes, anyone who reads this post is welcome to start their own Lord/Hero.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets