Beastmen are no longer our rivals

Moderator: Council of Elders

IsawaShori
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Orcs n Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Dogs of War, Dwarfs, & High Elves

Beastmen are no longer our rivals

Post by IsawaShori »

have any of you guys got a chance to look at the new Beastmen army book? GW really downplayed the rivalry between wood elves and beastmen. The fluff (and some game rules) have really changed so that beastmen now have a very seep and vitriolic hatred of men.

I'm not real sure how to feel about that. I liked having the rivalry with the beastmen, and it leaves me wondering what GW has in store for the Asrai.
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Re: Beastmen are no longer our rivals

Post by Bad Beast »

umm, have you bothered to look at the old beastmen book? honestly empire has always been the number 1 rival for the beastmen, despite the fact that the beastmen are the number 1 rival for woodelves
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
IsawaShori
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Orcs n Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Dogs of War, Dwarfs, & High Elves

Post by IsawaShori »

Bad Beast wrote:umm, have you bothered to look at the old beastmen book? honestly empire has always been the number 1 rival for the beastmen, despite the fact that the beastmen are the number 1 rival for woodelves
This editions Beastmen army book is the only one that I took the time to read, so I am not familiar with the fluff written in previous editions. In reading the current one, I was just surprised at the lack of mentioning wood elves as chief rivals when compared to the fluff in our book.
Bad Beast
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by Bad Beast »

beastmens cheif enemy has always been the empire, however they also spread across the world and live primarily in forested area's as such they have likely ventured into Athel loren more then any other race as such they are the wood elves cheif adversary despite the fact that most of the beastmen fighting is done against the forces of man
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

And wood elves really aren't that much of a player in the world - especially compared to chaos which is everywhere.
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Djo
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Djo »

In the new White Dawrf edition, the writers of the new Beastmen army book explain about their hate towards men...
and at some point they state that Beastmen and wood elves represent the exact opposite as the first vile nature's creations while we love them and ilve and die to protect them...
and of course that Wood Elves still hate Beastmen more than anything :ninja:
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

In the old Beast book, there wasn't that much mention of a rivalry with Wood Elves. It was in there a bit, but not to any tremendous degree. It was the Wood Elf book (and still is the Wood Elf book) that emphasized the Wood Elf/Beastmen rivalry, and for all we know our next book could continue the trend. We do have to face the fact that we're a pretty insular army. Games Workshop tried to combat our reclusive fluff by saying that we're out actively hunting Beastmen and other threats, and there's a good chance they'll continue that even further whenever we get our next fluff rewrite.
Runidis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Runidis »

Meybe alittle off topic but... whn would you expect the new WE army book...?
Dendrophobia-fear of the trees :D
Finbulvetr
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Finbulvetr »

The way I understood our fluff, we hate beastmen for they are against everything we fight for (nature, balance and all that stuff...)
When you take a look to our book, you realize that Asrai only fight when Athel Loren is in danger, with very few exceptions (one of them being the rebirth of Cyanathair at Arden, I think...). Since beastmen live in forest and they move all around, they've sometimes entered Athel loren, corrupting it, which explains why Asrai hate them so much.
On the other hand, for beastmen, Asrai aren't much different from any other army: they can be eaten :D

Salut!
And how alive though it seems
I was there in my dreams.
IsawaShori
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by IsawaShori »

Finbulvetr wrote:.... Asrai aren't much different from any other army: they can be eaten :D
Apparently they do not even like eat elves; meat is to stringy.
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Runidis wrote:Meybe alittle off topic but... whn would you expect the new WE army book...?
Expect it at some point in the future :p

That is after Tomb Kings, Brets and Ogre Kingdoms - and possibly Fishmen :)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

I though that the Fairy Flyers of Ind were coming out before the Fishmen. :D
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Djo
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Djo »

Hopefully we will see our army book out before the year's end...
Rummors say the 8th edition will be out this year so its only logical to assume that one agian the Wood elves will be the first army book with that :D
just hoping :D :D
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

I think it very unlikely that we will be out this year. That would make us 4th army this year, and I don't think that is likely.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Djo
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Djo »

Actually only one came out in 2010 so far...Beastmen!! and they will be out next month...
so i keep hoping that we might make it maybe december or perhaps february 2011... :D
maybe not...its just wishfull thinking :D
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

My point was for WE to come out in 2010, Beastmen, and two other books TK and OK, or Brett or even Dawi, would need to be released first, making us fourth (at least).

In many ways, later might be better so that we get an early 8th and not a late 7th, especially if there are significant changes in the editions.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

IsawaShori
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by IsawaShori »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:....
In many ways, later might be better so that we get an early 8th and not a late 7th, especially if there are significant changes in the editions.
I whole heartedly agree; that is what happened with our current army book. It was late 6th edition with 7th edition in mind, which in my opinion is why we will not see an army book until 8th edition. And I am not opposed to that prospect.
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:I though that the Fairy Flyers of Ind were coming out before the Fishmen. :D
Nope, they postponed Ind, but instead we'll have the faerie flyers in the next WE book. A flying cavalry swarm of nixies and pixies sprinkling faerie dust in the opponents eyes and turning them into frogs - and some fluff about woodies helping the starving bret peasants :crazy:
Kyure
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Chaos SM

Post by Kyure »

The Virgin Forest wrote:
ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:I though that the Fairy Flyers of Ind were coming out before the Fishmen. :D
Nope, they postponed Ind, but instead we'll have the faerie flyers in the next WE book. A flying cavalry swarm of nixies and pixies sprinkling faerie dust in the opponents eyes and turning them into frogs - and some fluff about woodies helping the starving bret peasants :crazy:
So does one of the human children that the WE's took into their forest to never grow old turn out to become Peter Pan in the next AB fluff? I mean...with all that pixie dust going around...something is gonna start flying in green tights.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

Tethlis Effect - joke topic turns sensible
AMA Effect - INSANITY RULES!

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

JOO
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by JOO »

The one thing that I keep hearing through the GW store I visit is that 8th edition will most probably be out toward the end of this year. But with that also comes the new "battle box" i guess you call it. Which will probably have O&G again with a random army as always. That could imply that their books could be in the line-up as well. I would like to hope not, but I guess its out there.

Personally, I would love to see WE in the box. Sadly, this is mainly because WE are one of the more less played armies :cry: . I for example am the only player at the store who plays WE consistently. GW will hopefully see the WE doesn't sell as much as other armies and try to boost popularity with the box.

Reguardless, WE will 99.9% for sure be out after 8th.

-JOO
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

btw, I think wood elves will be in 8th edition, not removed....

Also, I'd hate to see woodelves in a starter box, would totally ruin us as GW tends to be abit nice on the box set armies... (current orcs excluded)...
JOO
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by JOO »

What do you mean exactly when you say nice? Like nicer on the rules?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Salamander wrote:btw, I think wood elves will be in 8th edition, not removed....
I am pretty sure he was NOT talking about "deleting" WE army from the GW range, but either about the fact WE will be most probably very weak after 8th ed release, or that WE will not have their AB under 7th edition ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

unicorn wrote:
Salamander wrote:btw, I think wood elves will be in 8th edition, not removed....
I am pretty sure he was NOT talking about "deleting" WE army from the GW range, but either about the fact WE will be most probably very weak after 8th ed release, or that WE will not have their AB under 7th edition ;)
Also, I'd hate to see woodelves in a starter box, would totally ruin us as GW tends to be abit nice on the box set armies... (current orcs excluded)...
I do not think the Dawis are (or was) that "nice" on the GW side; nor that VC, DoC or any of the new, nice and shiny armies is in the 7th ed starter box, so I really did not understand your point here...
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5