How many Glade Guard is too many?

Moderator: Council of Elders

owniscool1993
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Spae Marines

Re: How many Glade Guard is too many?

Post by owniscool1993 »

starting at 1000 points, i tend to take 2 units of GG for every 500 points I play, and also take 2 units in 500 points
Slipping into the shadows, I bring upon the vengeance of the forests
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Strongbow »

So far, I've only run one unit of 10 glade guards, and I've been very lukewarm on them. Really, those 10 shots don't seem to do a whole lot. Tonight, I've got more models to put down for another glade guard unit, so I plan to see what happens with two units of 10.

I'm quickly comming to the conclusion that the most effective use of ranged attacks must involve volume. I've come to this conclusion after facing massed ranged attacks from Tomb Kings that have proven to be very painful to me...and those are STR 3 shots that never hit on better than 5+.

Even at long range (STR 3), you are (obviously) more likely to push more armor and ward saves with 20 shots (or 30) than you are with 10. Add STR 4 at short range, and you have an even better chance at actually wounding stuff.

If I understand the math right, you have over a 50% chance to actually wound with each shot at close range, which will be reduced with saves. Loosely, this means that you would be able to drop, say, 2-3 models with TO 3 and some armor with 10 shots.

Concentrating 20 shots on that same unit will likely thin out 4-6 models, which might even be enough for a panic test. Do this for the first two rounds as your opponents are heading toward you. Get some Glade Riders or an Eagle to do some march blocking on faster units, like cav or chariots...or even use a unit of 5 Scouts (you've got the models) to march block.

Anyway, I think that when you add volume, taking into count our manueverability and the STR 4 bows, the glade guard can put considerable pressure on an opponent. Because they are relatively cheap, this might make them a good baiting unit (of a sort), drawing out units to be swarmed by wardancers and dryads.

Eh...that's my plan, at least.
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

The whole point to voluminous shooting is that there are thresholds for how much missile fire a unit can sustain, but you have limited time to put that pressure on. So where 10 GG may accomplish nada, 2x10 plus a HoDA can panic or wipe out a unit, messing up your opponents plan and giving our combat troops the edge they need... A whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. ;)
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

One great thing to keep in mind about Glade Guard, compared to the shooting choices of other armies, is that they're quite good at fighting off many attackers. I'm not talking about fighting in combat necessarily, but instead talking about their powerful, consistent short-range shooting. Glade Guard can't be flanked easily, because they can turn formation and fire without any reduction in accuracy. If things get too hot for them also, they can march into forests and buy themselves some space. Forcing the enemy to brave short range, highly accurate Strength 4 longbow fire definitely gives Glade Guard an advantage that most other standard shooting infantry don't have.

Also, don't forget the advantages of buildings. If you have a lot of buildings available in your terrain selection, you can often get away with using more Glade Guard than if you were deploying them on a "standard" table. Buildings not only increase the line-of-sight of Glade Guard, they're also complete protection from any opponent that isn't infantry. Cramming some Glade Guard into buildings keeps them out of trouble, makes their shooting better, and frees up room on the table for your other units to maneuver.
Brumaz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Brumaz »

20GG is my standard army build for 1-2k games. Combine that with a unit of WW, and some glade riders and you will really cause some havoc in the shooting phase. Nothing cheesey about it. Typical response from sore losers really. GG can do wonders with good rolling, or they can be a complete waste and not even down a goblin other days
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

I want to STRESS what Tethlis has said. Buildings are phenomenal terrain for Wood Elves, even against the modern nasty armies. Flying cavalry, monsters, chariots, and cavalry cannot even attack and infantry flyers must use ground movement. Read the LEAF article.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
owniscool1993
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Spae Marines

Post by owniscool1993 »

Usually I take 20 glade guard and 6 waywatchers with a guy with HoDA for anything less than 2k, at 1500 it becomes 30 glade guard and I am fine in the shooting phase
Slipping into the shadows, I bring upon the vengeance of the forests
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:I want to STRESS what Tethlis has said. Buildings are phenomenal terrain for Wood Elves, even against the modern nasty armies. Flying cavalry, monsters, chariots, and cavalry cannot even attack and infantry flyers must use ground movement. Read the LEAF article.
I love buildings. It lets our skirmishers fight on even terms (minus banner and numbers) with ranked units.

I generally run a lot of shooters. 30GG and 10WW lately. I have 50 models I can use and will probably do it just for the heck of it for a while.
Nevermore
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nevermore »

i'd say 199.9 GG is probably too many...

it all depends what are you playing - a friendly game, going on the tournament and what do you really want...

as i see it, even a list that has only glade guard in it could be fun, for me at least...
FEANOR
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves + slowly building high elven army

Post by FEANOR »

I can't remember if I ever played without 2 x 10 GG :p sometimes I use more, but I think that 20 GG is the right number, because I practicaly always have 5 GR, HoDA and treeman's strangleroot...
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think DIFFERENTLY... Friedrich Nietzsche, the Genius of mankind
Lyuun
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves, Ogre kingdoms and Tomb Kings

Post by Lyuun »

So... umm... how many GGs would you field for a 4000 points clash?

i usually field them in units of 12, but that's purely out of convenience.

and just because i can, here's a ninja smiley. :ninja: he's awesome.
Hello mr. Krinkle, how are you today?
My name is Mud!

My ide of the common electric guitar: it has two strings too many.
FEANOR
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: wood elves + slowly building high elven army

Post by FEANOR »

at least 4 units, but maybe more depending on who the opponent is...
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think DIFFERENTLY... Friedrich Nietzsche, the Genius of mankind
thecakewuzalie
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE, Tau

Post by thecakewuzalie »

i didn't read all of the posts in the thread ..but
I have fielded 20 Glade Gaurd from 1000 - 2250 ....Your friend kinda fails ...sorry but i mean 10+ years of WHFB and he's complaining about GG at low points and that there cheesy? ...that 3 chariots are cheesy? ..erm err nvm sorry

I can't see a non combat focused WE army not having at least 20 GG in it ...I mean seriously wow ...but at what 500 point levels 8 waywatchers too? ..that might be pushing it a tiny bit a the 500 point level but yeah...
i run a fast moving sorta balanced/ shooty army. and its really fun and I'm looking into a more CC. WE are a very rewarding army once you can play them proficiently and they are EXTREMELY fun except when for your oponennt sometimes...but when you get better you learn to try and take at least a few CC elements to your army so the oppoenent can actaully throw some dice. :D this all isn't that helpful I know but oh well. :ninja: